New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - Switch Port Rumors

I still think NSMBDS had better music than NSMBW composition-wise. You cannot tell me that the castle and desert themes from NSMBW are better than the ones from NSMBDS on any trait other than hardware-based tone quality. NSMBDS's castle theme gets a better-toned version in Fortune Street anyways.

NSMBW has a much better tower theme than DS though. i think I also prefer NSMBW's lava level music.

No NSMB theme will ever top DS castle though.

That is one theme that shouldn't have changed.

I will say that NSMBDS and NSMBWii were revolutionary groundbreaking games. But after NSMBWii, they didn't bother to innovate. Instead, NSMB2 and NSMBU ended up being stale and boring with NSMBU being better than NSMB2. But in the end, I think Super Mario Run is better than both NSMB2 and NSMBU because Super Mario Run finally had Peach, as well as Daisy playable which was miracle after Nintendo's bullshit excuses and the fact that Super Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl had her with no problems whatsoever, along with Peach being in 3D World as well.

This is a bit of an aside, but I never really got the point of adding the triple jump in the NSMB games, as I can't recall a single instance in any of the four games where it is ever useful to use. You'd think maybe some of the harder secret exits or an interesting secret room may have required it's use to reach, particularly in the DS installment where there are no power-ups that involve vertical freedom, but nope, there's nothing.

ShroomZed said:
This is a bit of an aside, but I never really got the point of adding the triple jump in the NSMB games, as I can't recall a single instance in any of the four games where it is ever useful to use. You'd think maybe some of the harder secret exits or an interesting secret room may have required it's use to reach, particularly in the DS installment where there are no power-ups that involve vertical freedom, but nope, there's nothing.
It looks cool, so there's that.

Swiftie_Luma said:
I will say that NSMBDS and NSMBWii were revolutionary groundbreaking games.

what.
NSMBDS was the OG NSMB game with a lot of hype and creativity, NSMBWii took that and added multiplayer with four player co-op and it was original and groundbreaking for a 2D Mario game.

Roll and Maria Renard said:
NSMBDS was the OG NSMB game with a lot of hype and creativity, NSMBWii took that and added multiplayer with four player co-op and it was original and groundbreaking for a 2D Mario game.

NSMBU was tainted by the preview, and a lot of people didn't buy it due to judging a book by its cover. It's every bit of an upgrade gameplay-wise as NSMBW was to NSMBDS, and a bit less than NSMBDS was to SMW. Having the single unified map (aside from the secret world) was quite interesting. I never figured out how to use the boost mode while playing through it and NSLU X :rolleyes:

I cannot say the same for YNI. That was just a bad idea in general.

I will say I was annoyed that they did not redesign Sumo Bro but did redesign Bony Beetle, though that lessened when I learned that in Japan, Sumo Bro isn't considered a variety of Hammer Bro, but a possible distant relative.

I tried New Super Mario Bros. U, with my sister. I think Rayman Legends spoiled us, but we lost interest pretty quickly, and we liked New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Fair game to anyone I guess.

That may actually have something to do with it, as I have no one to play co-op with.

At the very least, NSMBUDX seems like less of a waste of money than MK8DX was, if only due to the strangeness that is Peachette. I mean....has Nintendo started using odd fanfic as idea basis now? Because if so, that's awesome. Though again, there's the point about 64 DS.

As for the triple jump, it helps to reach the top of the flagpole in a number of levels.

I just hope this is an indication that we're getting a 3D World Deluxe sometime down the road...

Well, it's official. Boost Mode is being cut, along with its challenges. It makes sense, considering that the Switch only has four controllers and different touch controls, but my siblings and I used it a lot in the original, and it's sad to see it go.

My source? The official summary of the Nintendo Direct. Notice how it says "up to four players", whereas the Wii U version was advertised as a five-player game.

R.I.P. Boost Mode.

YFJ said:
Well, it's official. Boost Mode is being cut, along with its challenges. It makes sense, considering that the Switch only has four controllers and different touch controls, but my siblings and I used it a lot in the original, and it's sad to see it go.

My source? The official summary of the Nintendo Direct. Notice how it says "up to four players", whereas the Wii U version was advertised as a five-player game.

R.I.P. Boost Mode.
I'm guessing this also removes Boost Star and 3-Up Moon Blocks (as well as 3-Up Moons), which are exclusive to Boost mode.

Other removals would be Miiverse posts, of course.

So to make up for it, we needed New Super Luigi U as base game and PEACHETTE!

YFJ said:

R.I.P. Boost Mode.
Well, it was kind of gimmicky anyway. I hope they're still keeping the normal challenges from the Wii U version, since you don't need a Gamepad for those.

Lucario said:
They actually made a bonus version of the Wii U game that included New Super Luigi U, the Bonus Videos from YouTube (plus some exclusive ones), and Pro Controller support. That was the version I owned (before it stopped working), and I think that was "deluxe" enough.

This Switch version, which claims to be "deluxe", gives us...

+Toadette and Super Crown
+Nabbit in Mario U
+Portability

-Blue Toad
-Boost Mode and five-player gameplay
-Boost Mode Challenges

The additions and subtractions look about even to me. Although there's sure to be stuff they haven't announced yet.

Isn't Mario usable in the New Super Luigi U version

insta-upgrade for me

YFJ said:
Lucario said:
They actually made a bonus version of the Wii U game that included New Super Luigi U, the Bonus Videos from YouTube (plus some exclusive ones), and Pro Controller support. That was the version I owned (before it stopped working), and I think that was "deluxe" enough.

+Nabbit in Mario U
+Portability

-Blue Toad
-Boost Mode Challenges

The additions and subtractions look about even to me. Although there's sure to be stuff they haven't announced yet.
But what are the additions and subtractions worth? It doesn't matter if they're are equal amounts, if the features they took away are worth less then the features they added.

Honoka's #4 Fan said:
YFJ said:
Lucario said:

+Nabbit in Mario U
+Portability

-Blue Toad
-Boost Mode Challenges

But what are the additions and subtractions worth? It doesn't matter if they're are equal amounts, if the features they took away are worth less then the features they added.
I don't think Toadette and Nabbit are worth more than Blue Toad and Boost Mode. That's about equal value to me.

But portability is another story...

Princess Mario said:
Isn't Mario usable in the New Super Luigi U version

insta-upgrade for me
Sorry, no.

I felt that MK8 Deluxe is more "deluxe" than NSMBU Deluxe.

MK8 Deluxe has more additions than subtractions.
+DLC included in base game, and 200cc
+Real Battle Mode (Balloon, Coin, Shine)
+Boo and Feather
+Additional characters, karts
+200cc in Time Trials
+Labo support

-Miiverse stamps
-Race tracks in Battle Mode
-60 sec Highlight Reels to YouTube

Whereas NSMBU Deluxe has
+NSLU in base game,
+Nabbit in main game

-Blue Toad
-Miiverse posts
-Boost Mode
-Boost Mode challenges
-Boost Rush

Pizza Time! said:
I felt that MK8 Deluxe is more "deluxe" than NSMBU Deluxe.

MK8 Deluxe has more additions than subtractions.
+DLC included in base game, and 200cc
+Real Battle Mode (Balloon, Coin, Shine)
+Boo and Feather
+Additional characters, karts
+200cc in Time Trials
+Labo support

-Miiverse stamps
-Race tracks in Battle Mode
-60 sec Highlight Reels to YouTube

Whereas NSMBU Deluxe has
+NSLU in base game
+Nabbit in main game

-Blue Toad
-Miiverse posts
-Boost Mode
-Boost Mode challenges
-Boost Rush
NSLU in base game doesn't count as an addition. Like I said, it was re-released on Wii U with NSLU added to the base game.

Miiverse posts have been dead since late 2017, so they shouldn't really count.

We don't yet know if Boost Rush is going away. Remember, it didn't require Boost Mode.

Back