Paper Mario series Discussion

Pretty sure it's an old "leak" that's confirmed to be false.

...actually I don't know how many "leaks" were made about the remaking of the games, I honestly lost track of them.

A supposed leaker leaked several Switch games for next year, in terms of the Mario franchise there's a remake of the original Paper Mario, a Treasure Tracker sequel, a new Donkey Kong Country game, a new sports game, and a port of Wario Land: Shake It. I personally don't believe it yet.

Paper Mario: Origami King is one of the best selling Paper Mario, if not THE best selling Paper Mario, if my numbers are correct. It's a successful game, and I think the opposition is just a very vocal one, as people that like the game usually don't voice as much how much they like it, and I suppose there might be a demographic change along the way.

It's not like Origami King is bad in any way, from what I've heard, and I don't think it really deserves mocking parody. Save that for Pokemon Sword and Shield which is just so predatory and anti-consumer.

anyhow, who is this leaker, may I see any sources on this? people can make stuff up all the time and easily fabricate things.

Where's the source for that leak?

I s'pose it's this

Doesn't seem super credible. I get that 2020 has been the pace of a Swoopin' Stu in terms of Nintendo games so there might be a bit of a backlog of unreleased games (IDK how the pandemic is exactly affecting games development). But it's just too good to be true.

A supposed leaker leaked several Switch games for next year, in terms of the Mario franchise there's a remake of the original Paper Mario, a Treasure Tracker sequel, a new Donkey Kong Country game, a new sports game, and a port of Wario Land: Shake It. I personally don't believe it yet.

a new Donkey Kong Country game

yeah this entire leak is horseshit

Y'all might hate me for this but I'd love if if they completely strayed from rpg battles and went all out on being an adventure action tcg game.

I felt this way after playing Sticker Star.

Super Paper Mario had a bit of the right idea of having an RPG without turn based battles but I'd like to see more Mario RPGs that stray from the traditional JRPG format. Mario + Rabbids was a good step in that direction.

but again I kinda like how Puzzle and Dragons: Mario Edition plays

Agreed, I love the original Paper Mario games but they need to fully commit to the action-adventure direction they're trying to take if they don't want to return to the original formula. Right now the games are in an awkward spot of being similar to the old ones but stripped of a lot of the elements and complexity that people liked, leaving the series a shell of its former self.

Oh I still prefer there to be battles but rather in a tcg way. I feel the drawing a hand of cards or stickers or whatever, hones more of the traditional Mario spirit of surprise/constant rewarding. It also adds extra difficulty that way of having to tweak your battle strategy for every fight too.

Last edited:
Y'all might hate me for this but I'd love if if they completely strayed from rpg battles and went all out on being an adventure action tcg game.

I felt this way after playing Sticker Star.

Gotta say, you're the first person I know to like (let alone prefer) the non-JRPG style.

Last edited:
Agreed, I love the original Paper Mario games but they need to fully commit to the action-adventure direction they're trying to take if they don't want to return to the original formula. Right now the games are in an awkward spot of being similar to the old ones but stripped of a lot of the elements and complexity that people liked, leaving the series a shell of its former self.
I don't think there's a significant amount of complexity in those games to begin with, either (like strategy in the original two games don't deviate that much and damage calculations are extremely simple and straightforward, a strong point), but I figure the newer games have their own problems with overcentralizing mechanics: Sticker Star and Color Splash had problems with major battles boiling down to just using the right Thing and they both had little reason to reward players for battling, while Origami King had criticism leveled at the rotation mechanic and can draw out battles if you're not aligning everything in the first turn. From what I've heard.

I can't say it's a downstep from the complexity of the older games but it's certainly more flawed some ways. I don't think Origami King is a shell of its former self; again from what I've heard, it's a fine game, best of the newer Paper Mario games, but it still has flaws to be ironed out. My concern is if they'll not do this and attempt yet another gimmick instead of improving from Origami King.

Oh I still prefer there to be battles but rather in a tcg way. I feel the drawing a hand of cards or stickers or whatever, hones more of the traditional Mario spirit of minigame gambling. It adds extra difficulty that way of having to tweak your battle strategy for every fight too.
I think cards fit with the Paper Mario aesthetic nicely since, well, cards are a kind of super flat printed-on material. Like paper! Baten Kaitos, which I usually bring up in these discussions, had a battle system involving cards. I also saw allusions to Mega Man Battle Network, another fine RPG series, but also draws its actions from a deck of 30 chips.

Gotta say, you're the first person I know to like (let alone prefer) the non-RPG style.
It's a different style, but turn-based battle =/= rpg. Sure, turn-based battles are a component of traditional RPGs, particularly JRPGs, but not all RPGs have turn-based battles.

I will always prefer Paper Mario 64 and Thousand Year Door's turn based battle system.

I don't think there's a significant amount of complexity in those games to begin with, either (like strategy in the original two games don't deviate that much and damage calculations are extremely simple and straightforward, a strong point), but I figure the newer games have their own problems with overcentralizing mechanics: Sticker Star and Color Splash had problems with major battles boiling down to just using the right Thing and they both had little reason to reward players for battling, while Origami King had criticism leveled at the rotation mechanic and can draw out battles if you're not aligning everything in the first turn. From what I've heard.

I can't say it's a downstep from the complexity of the older games but it's certainly more flawed some ways. I don't think Origami King is a shell of its former self; again from what I've heard, it's a fine game, best of the newer Paper Mario games, but it still has flaws to be ironed out. My concern is if they'll not do this and attempt yet another gimmick instead of improving from Origami King.
Oh yeah, Paper Mario isn't really complex by any means compared to most RPGs out there, but Sticker Star and Color Splash definitely took what was there and watered it down a lot, the removal of badges and partners probably being the biggest offenders. Not too sure about Origami King since I haven't played it myself or seen much gameplay so I'll leave it out of this, though from what I've seen and heard it is taking steps back towards the original formula and has a bit more thought put into the mechanics, so that's nice at least. Even still, paraphrasing a YouTube comment I read about the game, why is Nintendo taking baby steps toward a game that already exists?

Origami King is argued as the best of the series but I think flaws from the first two games hold it back. There's probably only incremental improvements overall because the battle system is so widely different in Origami King so a lot of resources have to be spent designing and balancing the game around that. Anyhow, Color Splash did improve on quite a bit from Sticker Star where people had to be told that some improvements they noticed in Origami King were first done in Color Splash, iirc.

Back