Paper Mario series Discussion

Russian Baby Luigi said:
I think Goombario is rather bland and boring. Once I got Kooper, I barely used him.

All of them are pretty bland. I mainly focus on utility.

My favorite partners from the first 3 games:

Paper Mario: Parakarry

Paper Mario: TTYD: Vivian/Yoshi

Super Paper Mario: Cudge/Dashell. In terms of the four playable characters, either Bowser or Luigi.

My favorite partners:

Parakarry, because he's a Paratroopa

Watt because of her piercing ability

Lakilester for generally being amazing

Vivian for having burning attacks

Goombella for her attitude

Boomer, so I can make Left 4 Dead 2 jokes + Francis.

Good thing he's indestructible.

Mcmadness said:
Good thing he's indestructible.

We got a Boomer! And it looked Canadian!

Kill that critter!

My favorite will always be Paper Mario 64, IMHO it had the best partners, worlds (Dry Dry Desert rocks!) and I loved the sidequests.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door was a worthy successor, I liked the audienxe bit.

Super Paper Mario was bizarre, and felt like what one reviwer said, "it was another game and Nintendo added the Mario parts."

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Was fun tell a glitch got me stuck and unable to continue the game. This game had potential, taking badges to the next level, but it lacked a clear leading of the player to next part of the game.

I never got to play Paper Mario Color Slash, not have I played Origami King.

Umm I hope Nobody Gets Toxic

I think Paper Mario Color Splash Is the Best Paper Mario game alongside The Origami King...

I wish I could have played Color Splash and Origami King, I may totally agree. Although it will always be hard for any sequel to surpass the 64 Original for me. :)

I've only played Color Splash for a bit, but it looks, plays, and runs pretty good.

Can't get enough of Dry Dey Desert.

F7ABCD64-6D3E-4734-8BC3-77191D388710.png

And I love Kolorado, Archeologist Extraordinaire:

97188B1B-3362-41EC-B46E-1DA2C15C1A88.jpeg

CDCEDAA2-8BB9-465A-88D6-5D635CCC6684.png

64 is my favorite in the series. :)

64 is my favorite in the series. :)

Same here, it felt the truest to the Mushroom Kingdom world.

I also love it made Koopas good and bad:

1AF34F45-93FC-48CE-96EB-A376CBC73FF9.jpeg

D7505A99-9851-44FB-9F5A-6F90ED65B05F.jpeg

One of the things I liked about Paper Mario was the more 3D worlds. The game better took advantage of the 3D space it offered, while Thousand-Year Door had more...hallway-like vibes that felt almost 2.5D at points (I've heard of the games past Super Paper Mario also had better 3D environments too but I never played them because their battle system isn't that compelling, though I do own Origami King and I need to watch my sis play it). And yeah, Paper Mario did feel like it belonged in Mushroom Kingdom with Pleasant Path, Lavalava Island being Yoshi's Island, a place for sentient Super Stars, a place where Bumpties resided in, Bandits and Mousers in deserts, Boos in a haunted woods...Thousand Year Door had more of a lean onto more original environments and locations such as Punies and Twilight Town and their environments don't really have that same..."Mario" vibe as they do in 64.

One of the things I liked about Paper Mario was the more 3D worlds. The game better took advantage of the 3D space it offered, while Thousand-Year Door had more...hallway-like vibes that felt almost 2.5D at points (I've heard of the games past Super Paper Mario also had better 3D environments too but I never played them because their battle system isn't that compelling, though I do own Origami King and I need to watch my sis play it). And yeah, Paper Mario did feel like it belonged in Mushroom Kingdom with Pleasant Path, Lavalava Island being Yoshi's Island, a place for sentient Super Stars, a place where Bumpties resided in, Bandits and Mousers in deserts, Boos in a haunted woods...Thousand Year Door had more of a lean onto more original environments and locations such as Punies and Twilight Town and their environments don't really have that same..."Mario" vibe as they do in 64.

Paper Mario 64 was such a gem, at the end of 64's lifespan.

I love Mustafa, the Bandits, Yoshi Cheiftan, and more. To me Paper Mario 64 was the greatest Mario game, it made me a huge fan of the Plumber, before I liked Mario, but Paper made him a fun protagonist.

I do wonder what things inspired Paper Mario. I see a lot of Yoshi's Island references including Bumpties, Lantern Ghosts, Lava Piranha Plant, and the designs of the Boos and Goombas and Paratroopas (Paratroopas both had pretty elongated wings, just less exaggerated in Paper Mario). There was also a pre-release build of Nep-Enuts. I also wonder if Paper Mario's entire design is cribbed heavily from Small Mario. I don't think it's an accident that Small Mario in Super Mario World looks like Paper Mario.

SMW_Small_Mario_Sprite.png
PaperMario_Mario_Idle.png

Paper Mario even has the black hat brim that this small Mario has.

I do wonder what things inspired Paper Mario. I see a lot of Yoshi's Island references including Bumpties, Lantern Ghosts, Lava Piranha Plant, and the designs of the Boos and Goombas and Paratroopas (Paratroopas both had pretty elongated wings, just less exaggerated in Paper Mario). There was also a pre-release build of Nep-Enuts. I also wonder if Paper Mario's entire design is cribbed heavily from Small Mario. I don't think it's an accident that Small Mario in Super Mario World looks like Paper Mario.

SMW_Small_Mario_Sprite.png
PaperMario_Mario_Idle.png

Paper Mario even has the black hat brim that this small Mario has.

I certainly see The Legend Zelda's influence: three hammers like there are three swords in each Zelda Game, you can walk up to talk to anyone and you get the text cloud to read like in Zelda games, lots of sidequests to get new items, and large world to explore which are essential to Zelda games.

Edit: The Star Spirits and The Triforce.

Perhaps. I remember in Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, there was a backstory where some holy beings sealed some bad thing away, which is such a common theme in the Legend of Zelda games. I don't see much strong influence from Legend of Zelda as I do see from other Mario games, however, but in terms of puzzles in dungeons and dungeon design, might not be much of a wild guess to say there are some influence.

in terms of inspiration, i feel like a leeeeeteul bit of metroidvania was thrown in. for example, the hub world usually has things you can't access until later in the game, because you need a specific item, like boots or a hammer, and the black box curse thingies in rogueport.

also im pretty much sure most designs from the first 3 paper marios were taken from smw before they switched to more modern designs in sticker star
1606381531924.png
1606381613046.png

1606381654786.png
1606381745106.png

1606381959333.png

there are exceptions tho, like, i think bowser is based off of smb3 bowser, but i cant be sure about that
1606382110167.png
1606382431656.png

You guys recommend me PM:TOK? I'm not sure if it's a good or a bad game.

Back