Mario Kart Tour

They should implement skills and techniques in better ways. How about actually build in advanced mechanics as your actual part of the game than exploiting a game flaw to death?

Like for example, snaking tore Mario Kart DS apart. It gave ludicrous advantages to only a select few karts (vehicles with ironically low drift stats), to the point where the two karts (and especially the Dry Bomber) are the only viable ones in the entire game because they have the best drift boosts. No one is going to use the Hurricane or any high drift vehicle if they can spam obtaining drift boosts by abusing your poor L and R buttons and the D-Pad. It's not even a particularly difficult tech to master: if you know how to use drifts, you know how to spam them while in a straight line, pretty much. It's not even like wavedashing from Melee, snaking is an extremely over-centralizing tech where you have to snake or you'll definitely lose.

Firehopping? Again, it's an unintentional mechanic that also gave the best weight classes even more advantages than it usually has (and it also centralized the game where inward bike users are at a heavy disadvantage, but not like snaking). It's not AS bad as snaking, I'll give it that, but I'm glad it's gone in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, it looks shitty and it feels shitty to do.

Yes I know that Mario Kart 8 and Deluxe can feel like a nanny game compared to Wii especially in regards to game physics and taking shortcuts with Lakitu taking you everywhere and whatever, but I certainly don't miss snaking nor firehopping. I've listed positive examples with games with high tech, such as Sonic & All-Stars Transformed, which has stuff like risk boosts or keeping your drifts when you change direction or gaining speed while you're flipping through the air during a boost, and it just actually feels nice and rewarding to perform those correctly. I still haven't quite gotten down the timing for risk boosts to this day.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is my favorite in the series because it doesn't have all the bullshit. It's not like Mario Kart DS where you have to snake to win. It's not like Mario Kart Wii where you have to play Funky Kong/Flamerunner and do ridiculous shortcuts to win. You can't pull some game-breaking trick out of your hat to smoke the competition this time. You have to be genuinely good at regular gameplay (and lucky, of course). Playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, even in a more competitive setting, feels like playing Mario Kart the way it was always meant to be played. Maybe I'm the only one that feels that way. We all have our own ideas of how Mario Kart is supposed to be played. But I like how natural it feels.

Mario Kart Tour absolutely does not feel that way. It's far too restricted. Playing MK8DX after MKT feels like stretching after a long car ride.

I was browsing Mario Wiki and noticed that it's been stated that this is the ninth installment of the series. Is that true? Has that been explicitly stated somewhere? I just the Game was just a mobile extension/spin-off of the series rather than being game #9.

Hopefully Mario Kart 10 happens sooner rather than later, and I hope all of the content (and some features) from Tour get carried over. I guess this means Tour tracks that are new can be considered Retro tracks once MK10 rolls around and can be added to Retro cups.

Also, now that Honey Queen and Nabbit's icons on the game, I'm stoked for their arrival, even though Honey Queen has a bit of contention attached to her entry into the series.

I was browsing Mario Wiki and noticed that it's been stated that this is the ninth installment of the series. Is that true? Has that been explicitly stated somewhere? I just the Game was just a mobile extension/spin-off of the series rather than being game #9.
Well the game is listed in the Japanese Mario Portal site.
(Note that this list includes MK8D, because that game is still selling in their market. Also noted that the list of Super Mario games includes NSMBUD, despite the ports/remakes like SM64DS, All-Stars, and the Advance games not being included.)
That's how Nintendo list them as the Main games in the Super Mario series and Mario Kart series, respectively (sans the ports).

even though Honey Queen has a bit of contention attached to her entry into the series.

Undeserved contention in my opinion.

After playing Mario Kart 7 again, I really miss her in later entries. She's really unique, and she's one of the weirder characters you can bring as playable characters in Mario Kart games. Like, she doesn't play a gigantic role in the Mario Galaxy games, yeah, and she's a dumb fat bee, but that's all part of her charm, I liked her because she came out of left field, she WAS a dumb fat queen bee rather than another pretty human girl, and that she was a unique female character and a pretty unique super heavyweight in that she was a friendly NPC rather than an enemy or villain.

Undeserved contention in my opinion.

After playing Mario Kart 7 again, I really miss her in later entries. She's really unique, and she's one of the weirder characters you can bring as playable characters in Mario Kart games. Like, she doesn't play a gigantic role in the Mario Galaxy games, yeah, and she's a dumb fat bee, but that's all part of her charm, I liked her because she came out of left field, she WAS a dumb fat queen bee rather than another pretty human girl, and that she was a unique female character and a pretty unique super heavyweight in that she was a friendly NPC rather than an enemy or villain.

Oh I agree with you wholeheartedly. She should really be in future titles. At least she's not a baby, a koopa, or metal clone. I'm intrigued to see how they handle Nabbit. When he appeared in Mario Golf and Olympic Games, he still held on to his bag with one hand during the entire time. I wonder of he'll drive with one hand while still throwing his bag over his back. Not to say thats a bad thing of course considering we have character with no feet (King Boo) and and handful of others who can't even reach the pedals. Come to think of it, ROB doesn't grab the steering wheel in MKDS.

Driving one-handed isn't something that worries me: characters drive one-handed all the time in Mario Kart: the only issue is how he'll carry items while simultaneously driving and holding a bag....do characters even carry items in Mario Kart Tour while they're driving?

No, the items are automatically trailed behind the kart. Even mushrooms get trailed behind, which is a bit weird.

I just used 180 rubies on four of the "Fire Ten" pipes. I got Reindeer Yoshi and his Sleigh, but I was also hoping to get both Paulines and Birdo.
Can't have everything 🤷‍♂️

But, counting my blessings, I now have my dynamic duo of Yoshi and Daisy both in their regular forms and in their Christmas outfits :yoshi::daisy:

No way! I cannot believe it!

Screenshot_20191228-114725_Mario Kart.jpg

I had spent 225 rubies to get 50 things from the pipe, and I was very disappointed because I didn't get Pauline. This left me with only 7 rubies, and I thought that it wouldn't be worth it to pull from the pipe anymore. But I changed my mind and decided to pull the pipe one more time, and I GOT PARTY PAULINE!!!!

I tried to get regular Pauline and failed. The game is really a pain in the ass to get what you want.

Playing the game, and my thoughts on it are that it is as much of a good Mario Kart game as Super Mario Run is a good Super Mario game. That means that it can't really be compared to the Nintendo console games. But so far, I am liking it more than Mario Kart: Super Circuit.
Red Yoshi
Oh. That is something to aim for when it comes out. Aim with Rubies that are hard to get. And yes, I am not going to spend any money on it.

Honestly, when playing as pure f2p, it's better to just save 450 rubies so that the spotlight characters are certainly obtained.

No luck for Red Yoshi, though, as not even a full pipe can warrant obtaining it - there's a reason why those characters are sold for real money...

EN5WGM4UwAABqLT

Peach and Mario are really are the Camilla of this game
But actually, I think that is Luigi
I am going to take a guess and we will get a Valentine's tour that takes us back to Paris and Birdo gets the alt

Reactions: zel
yea i felt that looked like luigi too. looking at the head shape im pretty sure it is
PDSMBE-PenguinLuigi.png

peach appears to be the costume that she wears in cap kingdom (and notably, snow too!) oh my god finally. that ones my favorite

Super Mario, a series full of wacky, colorful, and charming characters!

Anyway, here's Mario and Peach again.

EDIT: looking at the image harder it looks more like Penguin Luigi. Touche.

Considering the post in the game, this is N64 Frappe Snowland. And it looks very different from the N64 and DS version.

I find it nice that Tour is finally releasing 3D retro tracks that were remade from scratch, I hope this trend continues.

Super Mario, a series full of wacky, colorful, and charming characters!

Anyway, here's Mario and Peach again.

EDIT: looking at the image harder it looks more like Penguin Luigi. Touche.
It's Luigi's first alt for that game. Can't wait for the model to get ripped.

It is going to be Peach in her winter outfit from Odyssey.

Considering the post in the game, this is N64 Frappe Snowland. And it looks very different from the N64 and DS version.

I find it nice that Tour is finally releasing 3D retro tracks that were remade from scratch, I hope this trend continues.
Since N64 Frappe Snowland appeared as a retro track in DS, we would see more of the DS's retro tracks like N64 Choco Mountain, N64 Moo Moo Farm, GBA Sky Garden, and N64 Banshee Boardwalk.

i wouldn't feel anything unless they add it to a proper mario kart entry

Back