Mario Kart Tour

Quick, ignore the gacha and realize that Tour is a good game!
Quick, realize that the gacha has far too much presence in the game and that it's impossible to ignore!

even if you ignore the gacha, you still have to deal with tour's really bad controls

[img calling my comment rude]
Look, I admire and respect unpopular opinions, but telling people to simply "ignore the gacha" is going too far. Few would deny that Mario Kart Tour goes much further into the microtransevil than any other Nintendo game has done or should have done. There is no defense for the payment model here, nor is there any plausible way to "ignore the gacha" when there's basically no way to play as your favorite character without it. Great for you if you got your favorite character early on. But manipulative payment models like this that prevent many others from getting their favorite characters without spending unreasonable amounts of money are undeniably morally black.

It might not be as bad as some other games released at full price and still containing gacha mechanics, but to see Mario entering the realm of microtransevil at all is very much a disappointment to many. Even if the gameplay is good, that alone cannot save this game with the gacha mechanics around. People have a reason to be disappointed. I myself am very disappointed as this is the first time I've ever had one of my favorite game franchises enter that realm of microtransevil.

There have been tons of racing on mobile that were released before Tour, and are far more enjoyable as they didn't make any unnecessary compromises. Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing on mobile, an eight year old game, plays fairly similarly to a console kart racer and is far more enjoyable then MKT (or was, because Apple hates legacy support).

I wouldn't say it's the first time a Nintendo owned title has done something of this caliber of money grubbing. Although not a videogame, Pokemon TCG.

For a moment, let's ignore the gacha elements, and we'll even go further and ignore the microtransactions and the Golden Pass.

- Characters missing such as Luigi, Rosalina, their baby versions, Wario, Waluigi, and Bowser Jr., yet we get Peachette and Musician Mario (the latter being a separate character... for some reason).
- Graphics that aren't terrible but aren't fantastic either and are a tier below Mario Kart 7.
- Lack of online multiplayer, but bots use usernames of other players to make it LOOK like it's online multiplayer which is just really shady.
- Clunky controls.
- Characters being more useful on certain tracks (they get more items more often), thus killing any incentive to use your favorite character that the official Mario Kart games have. Unless you don't have the best character for the track, why would you EVER use anyone else? You would be stupid not to.

Yeah the game still sucks.

why aren't the characters even there to begin with (especially Baby Luigi)? they want to artificially with-hold content, dripfeed it to us, and get applauded when "hey look the character that was in the demo but not in the release yeah he's out now!)

Oh yeah this means that the Japanese-outfit Mario and Peach and the chef outfit Shy Guy, along with whatever other costumes they wanna add, will be separate characters as well.

This shit is lame.

Imagine putting actual costumes in a real console game instead.

I just find it baffling that Luigi, a character who is nearly as iconic, if not as iconic as Mario, isn't in the final game, plus that Mario is rare. Though I guess it is so people get excited about character they actually recognize and want.

im pretty sure mario's recognizability is the reason he's a mid-class. all of the "main" characters are in the mid class.

Man if they could have just made a new console Mario Kart with all the Mario Kart Tour content instead of making Mario Kart Tour that would have been great.

im pretty sure mario's recognizability is the reason he's a mid-class. all of the "main" characters are in the mid class.

Common enemies and babies are normal characters

''Main'' or classic characters such as Mario, Peach , Luigi , Daisy, Bowser are Golden characters which means they are rare but not the rarest.

The boss characters and ''speciall'' characters are High end, or ultra rare

this includes the newcomers such as Pauline and Peachette and bosses such as King Boo and Dry Bowser ... and of course special characters like Rosalina

I just find it baffling that Luigi, a character who is nearly as iconic, if not as iconic as Mario, isn't in the final game, plus that Mario is rare. Though I guess it is so people get excited about character they actually recognize and want.
luigi was literally in the tutorial apparently. you just are Not able to pick him. wait for a halloween event where hes an exclusive character and if you miss out on that well too bad no luigi for you! scummy

Oh yeah this means that the Japanese-outfit Mario and Peach and the chef outfit Shy Guy, along with whatever other costumes they wanna add, will be separate characters as well.

This shit is lame.
Yeah I know right. Even Mega Man Powered Up had a better handling for outfits in the case of Roll who was literally the only character that had customizable outfits. Roll was a DLC character along with her outfits. They were handled like this:
DglXiDhX4AE74AQ.jpg

And that was PSP (PlayStation Portable). It was released for that system in 2006.

Meanwhile Mario Kart Tour, a mere iOS and Android game doesn't even bother to handle customizable outfits in a more organized manner like the above game is such a huge let down. They should have made them as an option of being auto equipped or have them be selectable just like with Roll in Mega Man Powered Up which is my favorite example to go to when it comes to this. Capcom did a better job of handling customizable outfits than Nintendo did.

Nintendo were just being lazy with this one to be completely honest. On top of that they promised everyone would receive an outfit based on the location but they decided to be lazy and give to a select few characters. This is the biggest example of laziness.

Perhaps Luigi fans will know what it's like for those who wishes for less popular characters like Waluigi to be playable (and also Mario to be playable in Luigi's Mansion). Basically I felt that Luigi fans are already blessed with ample support of Luigi that it would be unfair to complain about it. Of course, the Luigi unplayability won't last long.

Thank you for reading.

just want to say it's pretty obvious why they're holding Luigi out on us, it's because his popularity is off the roofs. Think of all the money they'll make when they pull the curtain!

Reactions: zel

And at last we have a game that ties Mario Party Advance as the lowest Mario series metascore.

mario party advance is a better game than this one. i don't even hate that game at all.

For a moment, let's ignore the gacha elements, and we'll even go further and ignore the microtransactions and the Golden Pass.

- Characters missing such as Luigi, Rosalina, their baby versions, Wario, Waluigi, and Bowser Jr., yet we get Peachette and Musician Mario (the latter being a separate character... for some reason).
- Graphics that aren't terrible but aren't fantastic either and are a tier below Mario Kart 7.
- Lack of online multiplayer, but bots use usernames of other players to make it LOOK like it's online multiplayer which is just really shady.
- Clunky controls.
- Characters being more useful on certain tracks (they get more items more often), thus killing any incentive to use your favorite character that the official Mario Kart games have. Unless you don't have the best character for the track, why would you EVER use anyone else? You would be stupid not to.

I feel it is based on two same special items by two characters each pattern.

They never stated it would be online multiplayer from the start of the game lol

then practice with controls.

This is good free to play MK game for me. You could just ignore the money, it's a option lol

You could just ignore the money, it's a option lol

im tired of refuting the "it's optional!!!!111" bs shill excuse i see for games that have predatory monetization schemes.

the grind isn't optional. getting psychologically tugged by the monetary solution they offer for the unrewarding grind isn't optional. getting randomized loot so that it'll tug your patience to spend money isn't optional. if it's optional and you can ignore it, why do they bother selling it? if the things contained in the loot isn't actually valuable, why are they locked behind reward crates that are difficult to obtain and require money to get more of them?

also, not everyone can avoid the addiction-based gacha system. good thing you can. what about people who have problem addictive tendecies towards gambling, who can't just ignore it?

Back