Mario Kart Tour

No, it's not worse than Metal Gear Survive. Metal Gear Survive expected you to also pay 60 dollars on top of its microtransactions and lootboxes and also expected you to pay like 20 dollars for a freaking save slot, on top of it smearing on the Metal Gear franchise with yet another hodgepodge zombie survival game where you destroy zombies with glowing dildos on their heads and obtain Cuban energy. Mario Kart Tour barely hinges on acceptable, but that game is banned in Belgium for a reason: gambling shouldn't be in video games made for kids, full stop.

Oh please, I already pay 7.99 every three months for Nintendo Switch Online. I think Nintendo making another "If you buy this you get better stuff and you can do this thing that was free before" subscription service is just them wanting more of our money.
Subscription fatigue is a big problem overall. It's a symptom of companies exploiting people, enticing them with small payments. They want you to subscribe to many timely micropayments so you end up losing track of them and it can be a big drain on your wallet without you realizing it. It's pretty disgusting they want more money from you on top of the gambling they expect you (and kids) to participate in.

It's pretty nasty that Mario is behind a gambling bonanza and given my luck, I'd end up with things like Koopa Troopa, Donkey Kong, or Peachette, characters I see little value in, but I like Toad.

This game isn't suitable for kids, people.

Last edited:
No, it's not worse than Metal Gear Survive. Metal Gear Survive expected you to also pay 60 dollars on top of its microtransactions and lootboxes and also expected you to pay like 20 dollars for a freaking save slot, on top of it smearing on the Metal Gear franchise with yet another hodgepodge zombie survival game where you destroy zombies with glowing dildos on their heads and obtain Cuban energy. Mario Kart Tour barely hinges on acceptable, but that game is banned in Belgium for a reason: gambling shouldn't be in video games made for kids, full stop.
Yeah, I know but they're both equally as bad. Even worse are EA's games with their microtransactions in things like Madden and FIFA and whatnot.

All three of them are equally bad.

No, they're not equally bad. Metal Gear Survive is worse than Mario Kart Tour, since Tour is actually free to play, unlike Survive, which isn't free to play.

this game reeks of
Wooden_Kingdom_employee2.jpeg
a shame
luigi isnt in the base roster for some godforsaken reason
the more i hear on this the less i wanna play it. no thanks. should just get run instead
i may not care about the game itself anymore but i do care immensely about these videos they said theyre gonna be releasing with lakitu speaking. give me This. Yes

I'm not really sure what the purpose of 200cc is, it seems to give the same 1st place reward as 150cc while being too chaotic to actually have any consistency in landing first place. Also the controls are not suited to 200cc because there doesn't appear to be any brakes and the turning does not work on courses like Yoshi's Circuit at that speed. Maybe the idea is that it's easier to get a combo with coins, jumps, etc. because you're going faster but it doesn't really work out like that in practice because you have so little control.

150cc is fine though. The game taunted me with changing to drift controls so I'm using that now even though it's difficult to make slight adjustments in your path. I'm not sure how this game will fare once they need to start adding more 'content', but what it has right now is at least passable and the supposed changes from the beta and this (stamina is gone) makes it seem like they're not turning down all feedback so that's a small ray of hope.

It seems like the gold pass is their attempt at getting a consistent payout but it doesn't really have any worthwhile perks.

Honestly, I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would, so mark me as pleasantly surprised. The only problem I have is that once you get to a certain point, the difficulty hits a wall and it becomes really challenging to get all stars on a level.

I would like to remind everyone that Nintendo Switch's online service is cheaper than this golden pass Mario Kart Tour has. The former is $20 a year and the latter is $5 a month, which translates to $60 a year.

And all you get for it are 200cc (which should have been given for fucking free) and more chances to get rare characters and kart parts.

I hope this shit flops hard. It won't because the general mobile gaming community is fucked, but this is some pretty greedy shit, especially after they said the wouldn't be relying on microtransactions for their mobile games.

Oh and Luigi isn't in the fucking game? Mark my words, this will be the strangest Luigi's Mansion 3 cross-promotion possible.

Tried it. It's rubbish. It's Mario Kart but worse in every way, maybe except graphics and maybe coins being marginally more useful. Controls are horrible, the most immediate thing I noticed; drifting is bread and butter of this game yet once you enable that, negotiating S curves or steering around obstacles makes you careen into walls since every turn you attempt is a drift or a hop. Turning just feels unresponsive and inconsistent, sometimes turns are easy while other times making sharp turns feels impossible. The railroad makes driving really not satisfactory but it's required especially given the terrible controls. The two laps just make races seem shorter than usual. Idk, there's no stamina but there is an exp/coin cap per day so there's a catch to this. There's no way to stop the item roulette early either. There's also a huge pay to win element to it since the triple item bonus as well as the point assistance for using the correct track preference is pretty overpowered and those with cash to spare will more likely have a better selection to abuse that. I can't imagine online will be any good.

I'm having trouble getting Mario and while this game does have a restart button that erases all your data and lets you restart your fresh rolls from the 20 free rubies, it's tiresome trying to get the character you want. The first roll seems to be Toad and Toadette most of the time, very small chance of super rares like Peachette on first one as report by others. The second roll is generally either Peach or Bowser. If you like those four, great. But I restarted a lot of times, got DK, Dry Bones, Shy Guy, Baby Mario, Baby Peach, Daisy. I've yet to get Diddy or Yoshi but it's probably just rng.

It doesn't help my mood Mario is part of a $20 deal but hell if I lay $20 for a game I don't like.

Graphics are fine for mobile but practically every other aspect of this game sucks.

Overall, game just feels like absolute torture to play especially the abominable lootboxes, and what I've done to Nintendo to deserve a kid's gambling game with some racing in it rather than a proper Mario Kart sequel for Switch, I don't know.

I'm gonna be honest. It's an okay game.

First, the Gacha system is a Gacha system. It's not rigged or anything. Just random. Sure, it's annoying when you get the same stuff over and over, but that's just luck.
Second, the controls are as reasonable as they can. Seeing as I can't use tilt controls since I play on my Chromebook, playing with a mouse feels okay. It's annoying when I have to use items, but it's pretty okay.
Third, not having most of the main cast part of the base game is reasonable when you look at it like this: They have time restrictions. They had to get the game out by a certain time. Hence, they couldn't add everything on the first go. That's what updates are for.
Overall, Tour isn't the best game out there, but it's good for when you have some time to kill. Leveling up feels kinda satisfying. This game is underrated for what it is, but other people are entitled to their opinions, I guess.

I've yet to get Diddy or Yoshi but it's probably just rng.
Diddy was the first character I unlocked outside of the tutorial, so it's just RNG.

I'm expecting this game to do very well, considering it's heavily monetised, and it seems fairly popular (I've caught multiple people at school playing it or talking about it, similar to Super Mario Run).

All i have to say is that luck is not on my side with this game at all.

I admit i have a tad of fun, but then i get reminded that the currency is not easy to earn (rubies) and the controls are just junk.

irony hit me hard as well, since i got Baby Daisy (3 fucking times) and Daisy but i don't have Peach, not even Baby Peach.

Honestly, $60 a year for a pass that includes 200cc is and some benefits that are not available from the jump is not worth it.

Icing on the cake for me, Rosalina nor Baby Rosalina are in this game's update ... i have literally 0 motivation to do shit or even spend a dime.

mixed opinions from me, i don't 100% hate it but it's very frustrating even for a phone game, which is the lame excuse apologists are using ... ''wHat dId you EXpecct , is a PhOONE gAmE!!!11''

Like dear Jesus, even if you wanna put that excuse, they are still not doing this in a way that would appeal anybody with a brain or at least value for the money they earn and spend.

I don't mind paying for let's say Rosalina, but i have an issue GAMBLING real money for Rosalina for example.

Simply bs.

Honestly judging by how full of microtransactions Mario Kart Tour is - with even a subscription service that really doesn't give you much besides 200cc for a greater price than the Nintendo Switch Online service itself - when they directly said they wouldn't be relying on them for their mobile games, I think they're just bullshitting to make themselves seem like the good guys.

It feels a little insulting that Nintendo was willing to put more work into an ATM "game" for phones than a Mario Kart game for Switch, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe notwithstanding.

to be fair, had the wii u not flopped there wouldn't have even been a deluxe 8 or switch in the first place, we'd still be using that system.

to be fair, had the wii u not flopped there wouldn't have even been a deluxe 8 or switch in the first place, we'd still be using that system.
A valid argument, I'm just disappointed that this game actually does have some cool features (return of special items from Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, a bunch of old kart parts, Diddy Kong and Pauline, the new courses look pretty nice) and they're not going to be on a console game.

Back