Mario Tennis Aces

https://nintendoeverything.com/june-2018-npd-top-20-best-selling-games-in-the-u-s-mario-tennis-aces-is-1/ Number one best selling here in the United States!

Happy to know that's successful. I'm just worried that it'll be an okay for Camelot to release half-baked games just to patch them later.

Mario Tennis surpassed God of War...

Ok what the actual fuck?

I don't think Mario passing God of War is that surprising tbh. It's a family game that appeals to the general audience.

I'm just surprised that a Mario Tennis game sold pretty well. I don't think Mario Tennis when I think a good-selling Mario game.

But, anyway, hi GTA V.

I have checked the leaderboards for this month's tournaments, and to my pleasant surprise, Bowser Jr. is not anywhere in the Top 100 (he appears in only 1 spot in Simple). Either there is a stigma against Bowser Jr.'s unfair advantage that he ended up being underused, or the nerfs he received drastically affected his performance. On the other hand, Peach appears to be the dominant character with multiple achieve the Top 100 more than any other character in Simple. Waluigi appears to be quite dominant in Standard, though not overwhelming so that he's seen in many spots, since we have quite a variety of characters, thankfully. Makes me think that Peach is next on the balancing slate.

Anyway, the Kamek challenge FINALLY became easier, because this was the only Challenge that I didn't clear, and when the level becomes easier, I was able to clear it.

MarioFan632 said:
winstein said:
For me, I wonder why the developers decided to randomise CPU partners, which is I feel not optimal since this game already have a Random character option so if I want to randomise a partner I can just choose that option. Hopefully it won't be long before the developers make partner select selectable.
You actually can choose your CPU partner in doubles. When you go to change the rules, there's a setting that says "Doubles Partners". Set it to "P1 and P2", and you will be paired with the first CPU character.

Thanks for pointing out. I read this and thought that the developers don't have the option when I read a prior post:
Princess Mario said:
The CPUs in single player doubles free play are determined by complete random so you can't have a doubles partner and you can't choose whom to face.

Glad to know I thought wrong when I was able to do it.

NOTE: The posts later the one above also disproved the post I quoted, it's just that I didn't read them so I didn't know that it wasn't the case.

Thank you for reading.

OK, hold the phone. I don't have this game, but is it true that the score isn't kept like normal tennis (1, 2, etc. instead of 15, 30, and so on) AND you can't choose multiple sets?! What the actual &%$%!!?!

I'm not sure this is something to buy anymore...

Moldomré said:
OK, hold the phone. I don't have this game, but is it true that the score isn't kept like normal tennis (1, 2, etc. instead of 15, 30, and so on) AND you can't choose multiple sets?! What the actual &%$%!!?!

I'm not sure this is something to buy anymore...

The score is like normal tennis, that is if you win a Game, you go through the standard 15, 30, 40, Deuce if the score is 40-40 (2 point lead is required), and then Game. It's just that in regular options, you can only choose to win Tiebreaker, 2 games and now 6 games. That is to say, the game doesn't have the ability to choose the number of Sets, which I am guessing will be a future addition since in-game, there are certain games (Tournament mode and some Adventure matches) where the player need to win 2 sets instead of 1.

Thank you for reading.

There's either 1 set, 2 games, or 1 set 6 games.

Serious.

Literally every other tennis game, even the derided Ultra Smash, has the ability to choose multiple sets.

Princess Mario said:
Literally every other tennis game, even the derided Ultra Smash, has the ability to choose multiple sets.
I guess Ultra Smash is "derided" now...

Anyway, Aces' exhibition mode is clearly unfinished. I'm glad they're taking time to work on it post-launch, but why couldn't a few extra buttons be added pre-launch?

Unpopular opinion here, but I actually think Ultra Smash is better than Aces. For Ultra Smash, I was sold on the gameplay. Even after the reviews came in, I was still sold on it. When I got the game, I enjoyed it. It had fantastic gameplay, and an exhibition mode to actually make use of it. That was really all I needed.

However, Aces is a different story. I saw the gameplay, and I was sold on it. I was almost going to preorder, even after playing the demo and mourning the loss of Jump Shots. But when I heard that Aces lacks a proper exhibition mode, I immediately took back any plans to preorder. After all, why have solid gameplay if you can't make use of it at will? I really don't care much about single-player campaigns. I want to play Mario Tennis Aces, but the game simply doesn't let me.

Yes, Ultra Smash was lazy. But Aces is equally lazy.

Even worse is the round-a-bout way to select the courts you want. Why can't we just select the courts we want!?

What's wrong with them?

I have no clue why they got rid of Jump Shots. It's one of the things Ultra Smash introduced that I really enjoyed.

tbh, as someone who has played Ultra Smash over and over again, there is barely really any difference gameplay wise. Ace's is basically Ultra Smash without the button smashing and Mega Mushroom.

The difference being that Ace's has wayy more content

Infact I'm almost sure Ace's is just a port of Ultra Smash, only much more completed

If it was a port of Ultra Smash, I see no reason to get rid of the Mega Mushroom mechanic as an option to play in .

HG-The-Hamster said:
tbh, as someone who has played Ultra Smash over and over again, there is barely really any difference gameplay wise. Ace's is basically Ultra Smash without the button smashing and Mega Mushroom.

Infact I'm almost sure Ace's is just a port of Ultra Smash, only much more completed

I really think that it is Ultra Smash Second Edition (SE). It is a major step up to make it on the levels of Power Tennis which was for the longest time the best game in the series which is something that not even Ultra Smash could live up to. The only setbacks is the court selection and match making options other than that, it is already a better game than Ultra Smash.

HG-The-Hamster said:

Do trick shots and zone speed and zone shots mean anything? Just wondering...

If it's a port, then they'd have no reason to remove the match length and court settings in Exhibition mode. They likely built off of Ultra Smash's Simple Mode engine, but nothing else. The two are very different games in all other areas.

When I mean much more completed I meant with the addition of trick shots and zone speed/shot some stuff compared to Ultra Smash with Ace's is similar, specifically with the grass court. that's why I had assumed it was just a port with added features.

What does everyone think of the special courts? I imagine it didn't top Mario Power Tennis, which is the pinnacle of special courts, so I guess not many people would be impressed with Aces' special courts. I admit that the Savage Sea Court (the one with the mast in the middle) is a really simple but meaningful concept.

Thank you for reading.

Free content is always nice.

Too bad the online, the mode that you need to use get characters, is veering on dying. New multiplayer mode is nice but the drip feeding for a barren game is not as nice (lol waiting for the rest of the roster for June July for next year) and I'm still waiting for match customization.

Back