New Mario movie in the works

I like to hear Bowser speak as well, even though in Odyssey, he's all gruff and garbled, don't even know exactly what he's saying. In fact, I just want to hear all of them talk... maybe except Yoshi. Yoshi sounds horrible enough. I personally like to see Bowser interacting with his minions, ordering them around while they goof off. In fact, as said earlier by Mister Wu in the thread, I think Goombas and Koopas are a likelier candidate for minion-like behavior.

Long as they don't do any kind of radical redesign for the movie or something like that.

Reading this thread, people really have to learn on how to not throw a fit when *X character who doesn't appear often in property* doesn't appear in whatever upcoming property.

They're going to aim this at a general audience. You'll be setting yourself up for disappointment if you expect the movie to have anything more than the basic cast of Mario characters that everyone is familiar with (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Wario, and Yoshi). This is also especially true that this is the first time in a long while since a Mario movie is made for a global audience.

Baby Luigi said:
Reading this thread, people really have to learn on how to not throw a fit when *X character who doesn't appear often in property* doesn't appear in whatever upcoming property.

They're going to aim this at a general audience. You'll be setting yourself up for disappointment if you expect the movie to have anything more than the basic cast of Mario characters that everyone is familiar with (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Wario, and Yoshi). This is also especially true that this is the first time in a long while since a Mario movie is made for a global audience.

Let's be real here. When was the last time Wario was in a Mario game without Waluigi? The Wario Ware and Wario Land games seem dormant. Also, the basic mass market cast would not fly for a feature length movie. They won't really be able to squeeze a good story out of it. Look at the recent Mario and Luigi games and Mario and Rabbids. No one really talks about their stories, because they have boring stories. Gameplay saved them both.

Let's be real here. You are just saying stuff like that because you want Daisy.

Mcmadness said:
Let's be real here. You are just saying stuff like that because you want Daisy.

Yes. I think she SHOULD be in the movie. In my dreams she would probably be the main character and Mario takes a backseat until the very end.

I’m thinking we’ll see the usual cast of characters in the movie.

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
Toad
Yoshi
Bowser
Bowser Jr
Wario
Waluigi
Donkey Kong

I’m certain we’ll get Rosalina in the film and possibly the Koopalings and Kamek. But whoever else is up to the directors.

While I'm not sure which of the main cast will actually appear, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a fair few cameos, minor roles or at least mentions of other characters. I think Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi and Toad are all a fairly safe bet, but anyone else would really depend on where the plot goes.

memoryman3 said:
Yes. I think she SHOULD be in the movie. In my dreams she would probably be the main character and Mario takes a backseat until the very end.

And that is why nobody takes your opinions seriously.

memoryman3 said:
Let's be real here. When was the last time Wario was in a Mario game without Waluigi? The Wario Ware and Wario Land games seem dormant.

I put Wario on the list because I was being a bit liberal with what characters I expect to see if they wanted a more expanded cast. If wanted to be a bit more realistic, I'd limit it to Mario, Luigi, Toad, Peach, Yoshi, and Bowser. You know the characters that appeared in the Super Mario Bros. cartoons. The characters that appeared in the Super Mario Adventures comic. The characters that appear the most in the Super Mario-Kun. The characters that appear the most period.

memoryman3 said:
Also, the basic mass market cast would not fly for a feature length movie. They won't really be able to squeeze a good story out of it. Look at the recent Mario and Luigi games and Mario and Rabbids. No one really talks about their stories, because they have boring stories. Gameplay saved them both.

You know absolutely zero about story-telling. Character development and plot writing works best when there's a lower amount of characters to work with, because if you have too much characters in the movie, they either lose focus on the main characters or the characters will just feel slapped in. Three is typically the max amount of characters for a main cast (which could be like Mario and Luigi, maybe Toad), a villain (Bowser), and more major members of a supporting cast (Yoshi, Peach, Toad, etc.).

This is especially true for a game series like Mario, where characters have next to zero personality, and if a film wanted to establish a personality for these characters, they need to limit the cast to focus development on these characters. IF you want a good movie.

Also, Mario & Luigi and Mario + Rabbids cast of characters has nothing to do with the lack of story. They're video games that focus on delivering on fun gameplay rather than telling a story, and their basic cast of characters is a symptom of that, not the cause. Movies do not. Movies absolutely need to have stories to tell to captivate and audience.

memoryman3 said:
Baby Luigi said:

Let's be real here. When was the last time Wario was in a Mario game without Waluigi? The Wario Ware and Wario Land games seem dormant. Also, the basic mass market cast would not fly for a feature length movie. They won't really be able to squeeze a good story out of it. Look at the recent Mario and Luigi games and Mario and Rabbids. No one really talks about their stories, because they have boring stories. Gameplay saved them both.
The Wario & Waluigi comparison does not work because we've seen times when Wario has appeared independent of Waluigi (while the other way around is much rarer). It probably doesn't feel that way because they haven't used Wario for much outside of rosters lately. Either way, it's not like, say, the Koopalings who (barring third-party collaborations like the Olympic games) are generally expected to appear as a group.

As for Mario + Rabbids and Paper Jam, it's less those games had boring stories and more that the stories of those games are pretty thin. Paper Jam focuses more on character interactions than an actual plot (and part of the reason nobody talks about it is probably because those who would enjoy the concept are disappointed both companies didn't go all out and in fact, did the opposite) and Mario + Rabbidsdoesn't really have the same story arcs that the Mario RPGs usually have outside of Spooky Trails. Even then, the latter still has moments that people do like such as Phantom, Bowser Jr.'s portrayal and the final boss.

Baby Luigi said:
memoryman3 said:
Let's be real here. When was the last time Wario was in a Mario game without Waluigi? The Wario Ware and Wario Land games seem dormant.

I put Wario on the list because I was being a bit liberal with what characters I expect to see if they wanted a more expanded cast. If wanted to be a bit more realistic, I'd limit it to Mario, Luigi, Toad, Peach, Yoshi, and Bowser. You know the characters that appeared in the Super Mario Bros. cartoons. The characters that appeared in the Super Mario Adventures comic. The characters that appear the most in the Super Mario-Kun. The characters that appear the most period.

memoryman3 said:
Also, the basic mass market cast would not fly for a feature length movie. They won't really be able to squeeze a good story out of it. Look at the recent Mario and Luigi games and Mario and Rabbids. No one really talks about their stories, because they have boring stories. Gameplay saved them both.

You know absolutely zero about story-telling. Character development and plot writing works best when there's a lower amount of characters to work with, because if you have too much characters in the movie, they either lose focus on the main characters or the characters will just feel slapped in. Three is typically the max amount of characters for a main cast (which could be like Mario and Luigi, maybe Toad), a villain (Bowser), and more major members of a supporting cast (Yoshi, Peach, Toad, etc.).

This is especially true for a game series like Mario, where characters have next to zero personality, and if a film wanted to establish a personality for these characters, they need to limit the cast to focus development on these characters. IF you want a good movie.

Also, Mario & Luigi and Mario + Rabbids cast of characters has nothing to do with the lack of story. They're video games that focus on delivering on fun gameplay rather than telling a story, and their basic cast of characters is a symptom of that, not the cause. Movies do not. Movies absolutely need to have stories to tell to captivate and audience.

The first Mario amiibo wave consisted of just Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser and Toad. Hmm.

I do feel like the Mushroom Kingdom does need a sense of place though and there are many films that have quite a few key characters and are very successful. Like Toy Story. But the recent movie I watched have around 4-5 main and supporting key characters.

But I don't know...it worked in 1980-1990 because Mario didn't have many characters besides those six...and the shows weren't even that good. Plus they seem like very boring, expected and safe choices. Especially Yoshi. I just don't see Yoshi being anything but a bumbling object of stupidity who loves fruit.

memoryman3 said:
The first Mario amiibo wave consisted of just Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser and Toad. Hmm.

Which only proves my point regarding what characters the movie will likely use and stick to.

memoryman3 said:
I do feel like the Mushroom Kingdom does need a sense of place though and there are many films that have quite a few key characters and are very successful. Like Toy Story. But the recent movie I watched have around 4-5 main and supporting key characters.

If they want a sense of place for the Mushroom Kingdom, they'd focus mostly on developing the scenery, setting the mood and tone. Not introducing random characters who are unnecessary to the plot. Which is what you want.

For a Mario movie, I'm pretty sure they want to go with an adventure-style plot where the bros. travel across different "set-pieces" aka the different worlds and experience different hazards there as it is in the main Mario games. Usually, on those types of movies, the cast is far more limited, with scenery and environments being more important than the characters they use. The Super Mario Adventures comic, the Super Mario anime, and the Super Mario Bros. Super Show understood this. Hell, even that godawful movie knew this. Even the games know this.

memoryman3 said:
But I don't know...it worked in 1980-1990 because Mario didn't have many characters besides those six...and the shows weren't even that good. Plus they seem like very boring, expected and safe choices. Especially Yoshi. I just don't see Yoshi being anything but a bumbling object of stupidity who loves fruit.

And the limited cast still works today, the works I had mentioned are still fun reads (The Super Mario Adventures) or watch-throughs (The Super Mario anime). The Super Show had problems not pertaining to its cast of characters, it's mostly because it had weak writing. If the Mario media had problems, it's almost always due to the writing rather than the cast.

It's their first Mario movie in a long time. It's the first animated Mario movie in a while, released for a large, global audience. And it's a video game movie, especially after how the last movie was a complete disaster. Being safe for a Mario movie that has nearly everything going against it is reasonable.

Yoshi is a popular character who has more fans than Daisy will ever have. I still don't see your exact beef against him being used in a popular Mario movie.

memoryman3 said:
Also, the basic mass market cast would not fly for a feature length movie. They won't really be able to squeeze a good story out of it. Look at the recent Mario and Luigi games and Mario and Rabbids.

Food for thought: When the infamous Street Fighter movie was pitched, its director stated the movie would only feature seven characters from the games because having to feature and develop any more would make the plot a mess. Capcom agreed to at first, only to go back and mandate them to include nearly everyone from Super Street Fighter II as well as a new character they wanted to promote. Which is a big factor in why it turned out terrible.

I do feel like the Mushroom Kingdom does need a sense of place though and there are many films that have quite a few key characters and are very successful. Like Toy Story.

I mean, the first Toy Story has only Buzz and Woody for the majority of its runtime.

Okay okay, I admit that I don't care about the amount of characters as long as Daisy's in it, but I mean, how will the characters actually be handled? Will this movie be focusing on the adventures and brotherly relationships of Mario and Luigi? Will it be one of those movies that features a whole town full of generic species?

I don't know how characters like Yoshi would work unless they are given a very minor role. Let's be honest here, Yoshi is one of these characters that people can get tired with when exposed to for long periods of time. Yoshi's fun when he's used for a brief moment as a minor powerup. Unfortunately he is just not suited for the big screen with a starring role. Even Mario + Rabbids understood this and put him in at the very end of the story and just acknowledging that he is a product of manufactured hype and fame.

Toad can work better with this. Princess Peach I can see working especially if the ending involves Mario finally marrying her and becoming the King. Bowser is most certainly going to be a villain...or maybe an anti hero? If Wario and Waluigi are there I can see it being for comic relief - they can come in for about 2 or so minutes and try to ruin everything for their own selfish needs, and fail.

For Daisy...I think she would be perfect if she adventured alongside the Mario Bros if Peach is kidnapped (almost certain).

Also I watched the SMB anime and it was stupid. Very stupid. And what was with the ending?!?!?

I think they might need to change Yoshi's voice if he talks or just make him not talk at all and be more like a semi-sentient animal companion (can't think of any examples but I know it's been done before). If he does talk, they'll have to change his personality (or lack thereof) a bit too.

Yoshi probably won't talk. I think they could get away with just doing what Super Mario Adventures did.

memoryman3 said:
Will this movie be focusing on the adventures and brotherly relationships of Mario and Luigi?
I know the movie isn't gonna be very deep, but this quite an opportunity to be a movie about twins, and they even subvert the idea of Mario pairing with Peach when the real deal is really the twin relationship. Remember having that discussion years ago.

memoryman3 said:
Princess Peach I can see working especially if the ending involves Mario finally marrying her and becoming the King.
this is something I really wish the fans stop wishing for

it sounds so cliche and nauseating

Luigi 64DD said:
I think they might need to change Yoshi's voice if he talks or just make him not talk at all and be more like a semi-sentient animal companion (can't think of any examples but I know it's been done before). If he does talk, they'll have to change his personality (or lack thereof) a bit too.
the less screen time he has, the better

in a perfect world, his only screen time would be people beating the crap out of him, but I know that's never ever going to happen because it ain't a perfect world

memoryman3 said:
just acknowledging that [Yoshi] is a product of manufactured hype and fame.

You know which character is actually a product of manufactured hype and fame?

Daisy.

The fuck does that even mean?

They made Yoshi because Miyamoto thought the idea of Mario riding a dinosaur would be cool.

And the fans liked it.

There's no conspiracy.

In the Q&A session with investors the movie was talked about:

[quote author=Question]
Mr. Miyamoto, can you talk about your involvement in the animated Super Mario movie? Is the objective merely a cross-media marketing effect, or do you want to try making a movie to express something you cannot express in games?
[/quote]

[quote author=Shigeru Miyamoto]
I've been considering an animated film for many years now. There has long been talk that Nintendo could make a movie because "making a game is like making a movie." But they are completely different to me. Interactive experiences are completely different from non-interactive media, and to make a movie I want a film expert to do the work.
Thinking that way, I have talked with all sorts of different movie directors and producers, and eventually I was introduced to Illumination via Universal Parks & Resorts, with whom we are developing theme park attractions.
As a producer, Chris Meledandri (Illumination's CEO) is noted here for movies like Minions and Sing, but he is a veteran with a ton of experience, including the movie Ice Age and stints at companies like 20th Century Fox Animation. When I talked with Chris, he said he had read a lot of interviews with me and felt we had a similar approach to creation. Talking about our similarities, we clicked and decided maybe we should do some kind of collaboration. We started our conversation over two years ago, and finally reached the stage where we could make an announcement. Chris is extremely cost-conscious and time-conscious in his quest to make successful movies. We decided to try making a movie together, and distributing the completed movie globally through Universal Pictures.
We've talked together and share the feeling that if we can't make something interesting we'll just call it quits. But we've already met a number of times to hash out the screenplay, our talks together are progressing, and I hope to make an announcement once we've ironed out some things like the schedule.
[/quote]

Worth noting that we have seen Yoshi be serious as a character before, so the whole "he'd only be a bumbling idiot" argument does not necessarily apply until we learn more. It's not worth complaining about our cast of characters until we know what they do with them.

ive decided to give this movie a chance

until they show it and its fucking mario + minions kingdom battle

Am I the only one who would be willing to wait 3 or even 5 years for this movie to come out? After all, since this is going to be the first actual Mario movie in decades, Nintendo and Illumination need to perfect the script, the character models, the animation, and everything else a long-awaited animated movie needs.

Back