New Mario movie in the works

Re: Reports of a new Mario movie

Julia-BM said:
And one thing I'd love to see for sure would be if this movie had its own variant of the Universal intro (AKA the best logo ever) with astronaut Toads floating around like in Mario Kart 8's Online menu. That would be an awesome and clever reference.

I mean, the first movie in 20-30 years of a pop-culture icon that has always been popular has got to have its own special variant of the intro of the studio who produced it, right!?
They may actually do something, they changed the globe to be egg-shaped for the start of Hop- Perhaps the Comet Observatory, a Rainbow Road or even the Odyssey may pop in? It's more often than not that whatever they put with the Illumination logo that they actually change to be related to the film- let's hope they outright kick out the random Minions and just stick with something Mario for that if they do anything at all.

memoryman3 said:
Mcmadness said:
Gee, almost as if they are the main characters or something.

Yeah I know THAT! But I am worried that they will be the only characters besiders the generic Goombas and Koopa Troop.

It's a movie. You aren't going to be playing it.

Mcmadness said:
memoryman3 said:
Mcmadness said:
Gee, almost as if they are the main characters or something.

Yeah I know THAT! But I am worried that they will be the only characters besiders the generic Goombas and Koopa Troop.

It's a movie. You aren't going to be playing it.

Still want nice promo material to gawk at. Not a bunch of annoying :yoshi: :yoshi: :yoshi: :yoshi:

You know, BLOF despises Yoshi more than you do and she's a lot more reasonable about such things.

Tangle The Lemur said:
So, I wonder if we get any good jams out of this movie, of course, we can expect some remixes of the basic themes, but what about a new song?
In a perfect world, Bowser would get a Biggering-tier song.

Oh my, I don't know if I can resist my outward groaning whenever that :yoshi: slimebag :yoshi: makes his stupid and annoying noises and acts all stupid and annoying, just like in the cartoons where he is an annoying moron whose only personality trait is being annoying and hungry.

Mcmadness said:
You know, BLOF despises Yoshi more than you do and she's a lot more reasonable about such things.
Imma try outdoing my twin.

i wonder if the events of this film will lead to a dk movie

and a few months down the line, zelda, metroid, and kirby movies are made and form the the basis of the nintendo cinematic universe

everything culminates in a super smash bros movie and it's wonderful

Weasel said:

and a few months down the line, zelda, metroid, and kirby movies are made and form the the basis of the nintendo cinematic universe

I'm more curious about the general attitude towards video game movies if it does well.
Obviously it will be big for Nintendo since it's been ages since they've tried movies/television, but still.

I'm hoping for voiced dialogue once more like with Sunshine. We'll have the usual Martinet. For Peach, it would be interesting for Peach to speak full dialogue with Samantha Kelly like she did with Jen Taylor in Sunshine.

I am worried that they will use celebrities instead of the actual voice cast from the games.

memoryman3 said:
I am worried that they will use celebrities instead of the actual voice cast from the games.
That's completely impossible. Mario is never the same without Martinet, Bowser isn't the same without Scott Burns or Kenny James, Peach and Toad isn't the same without Jen Taylor or Samantha Kelly. I am fairly certain that the current voice cast may come.

Mark my words it probably will have different voices besides the bros themselves.

Weasel said:

cant wait for the phase two fire emblem movie

Weasel said:

Phase 1:
-Super Mario Bros.
-Donkey Kong
-Super Mario Bros 2.
-Pokémon
-The Legend of Zelda: The First Smasher
-Super Smash Bros.

Phase 2:
-Super Mario Bros. 3
-Pokémon: The Distortion World
-The Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Soldier
-Star Fox
-Super Smash Bros: Age of Master hand
-Kirby

Phase 3:
-The Legend of Zelda: Hyrulean Civil War
-Metroid
-Star Fox: Vol. 2
-F-Zero: Homecoming
-Pokémon: Apokélypse
-Fire Emblem
-Super Smash Bros: Tabuu's War
-Kirby and the Meta Knight
-Earthbound
-Super Smash Bros: The Master Core

TV Shows:
-Agents of Federation force
-Agent Sheik
-Pikmin
-Kid Icarus
-Popo and Nana
-Animal Crossing

Netflix:
-Punch-Out
-Wii Fit
-WarioWare
-Arms
-Super Bash Brethren
-Codename STEAM

I recently read an article on USGamer about how Illumination is the best choice for a movie production partner for Mario. Essentially, it's a combination on how other movie production studios aren't suitable for a Mario film either because they prefer to do works based on their owned properties (Disney, Pixar), having their hands full (Dreamworks) or doesn't have consistent profitability (Warner, Sony, Blue Sky), or their track record hasn't been good (Blue Sky and especially Sony). This leaves us with Illumination, who managed to have a relatively lower budget for films, yet has decent-quality films with great profitability overall.

Given that Nintendo is going to be involved in its production, it's at least going to be consistent with the source material. I mean, the Kirby anime is well-loved, and Sakurai is involved to make sure they got the details right. One could look into Mario + Rabbids for a surprise story.

Weasel said:

I wonder why is it an expectation for a film to have a "Cinematic Universe" in the form of multiple films that leads to an ultimate crossover, since I am not certain it will even get to that point of success. I suppose it has the benefit of franchise exposure, but it seems like an unrealistic expectation (usually).

Thank you for reading.

I am thinking about the plot and characters...who will be in it? Will the plot be a twisted version of the Mario trope, or will it be highly restrictive? Like :mario: :yoshi: :bowser: etc.

Rabbids got away with this because of the gameplay. But the movie absolutely has to have a variety of characters on it. Go full ham. You have these characters who have basic personality traits who can be morphed into so many different situations. You have soooo much creative freedom over them. If they tap into the extended cast well and some nice original characters they can really make this shine. Unfortunately the RPG's are extremely restrictive. Look at Mario and Luigi Paper Jam! The story was so mediocre and the characters are so flat (heh).

memoryman3 said:
Sorry but even TTYD had a super limited Mario cast.
Only if you refuse to consider anything but the characters in party games :P

Even discounting the new characters in the original Paper Mario games, they made use of enemy species from Yoshi's Island like Bandits and Dayzees, and Little Mousers which don't really appear outside Yoshi games now (Little Mousers were even cut from the MK8 version of Cheese Land). As well as using classic enemy species in unexpected ways such as showing that they can live peacefully as NPCs and be friendly with Mario, which makes more sense than a species pretty much being evil by birth or designation. Combine that with the troves of new interesting characters they introduced and I'm not sure in what sense beyond the absence of Daisy they were 'limited.'

I'd say the same for the M&L series too.

Magikrazy said:
I mean it kinda is nowadays.
For Paper Mario maybe (much as it hurts to admit), but for M&L it was a one-time thing.

I sense tension though so that's all I'll say on the subject :luigi:

memoryman3 said:
If they tap into the extended cast well and some nice original characters they can really make this shine. Unfortunately the RPG's are extremely restrictive. Look at Mario and Luigi Paper Jam! The story was so mediocre and the characters are so flat (heh).
My concern is if we're starring a pair of bricks or not, maybe fighting big spiky bricks. This is is the case for pretty much most games, but sometimes, the bricks aren't as much of bricks, but they're still bricks. Paper Mario, Mario Golf: World Tour, and Mario Baseball games are major offenders.

This isn't something "nice original characters" will accomplish nor your "extenDed MArIo caSt, Yahoooo!!".

Who knows what they'll add? I'm more interested in what plot and setting they'll give us. I'm not expecting much of a plot, and I won't whine if it's nonsense, but I just like to see how it deviates from the formula. The plain ol' Super Mario Bros. formula doesn't a movie make, you never see the formula followed to the teeth in the manga or books or cartoon. The movie can be literally about anything Illumination-appropriate at this point, and if we don't know the plot that well, I don't think we can really expect what characters beyond the quintessential such as Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Bowser, and Yoshi (blarg).

All in all, I just want to see a trailer on this sort of thing before I really establish expectations. That way, I'd know if Mario screams the movie's title, but then just sits and gawks and squawks and asks for a cracker every now and then, while thanking people so much for to watching his movie.

Buuuuut if Mario does talk, which I want him to, there's going to be the inevitable dubbing for other countries and.... sigh, maybe they'll just make him make stupid noises

I wonder if they'll have Kenny James as Bowser, and if he'll say more than roars. I'd honestly be interested in hearing him speak sentences as Bowser, and in an animated film they certainly shouldn't make Bowser a mindless monster. One thing I'll say Paper Jam did well is portray Bowser well, especially when he interacted with Bowser Jr. I want to see more of that protective father side of him. Like the Switch parental controls video but with dialogue.

Also anyone think Cappy has a good chance of appearing in it?

Back