New Mario movie in the works

Re: Reports of a new Mario movie

I know I’m not the biggest fan of the minions, but Illumination has done some movies I like, maybe even love at this point. So I trust them. Also since now the Mario series is way larger than it was back them when the other movie was in production, it undeniably is gonna be better. Unlike that shit about people evolving from dinosaurs.

Wow a fully animated CGI Mario movie, this is the kinda style Mario movie I was hoping for when I made my idea of a Super Mario Galaxy movie with CGI, except being directed by Ridley Scott.

Hey, guys, I just remembered, Danny DeVito was in The Lorax, if he could be in that junk of crud, why not here?

As himself of course, no one is replacing Mr. Maiitnet on my watch

Illumination is an interesting candidate for a film studio for Mario, even if I didn't follow their work too much. I guess the visuals in their films are serviceable so that's not an area of concern. I am more amused of the idea of Mario crossing over with Minions, since he's spent time with Happy (the McDonald's Happy Meal box) and the Rabbids, so I can see that if Illumination is collaborating, they'll want to have Minion hijinks in Mario's turf. Perhaps just in a short opening clip, or an official announcement instead of being a crossover.

I am of the opinion that, Nintendo is likely to have a stronger involvement in the film if Illumination is fine with the idea of such a supervision, because having people who are more familiar with the character ensures that there is a level of consistent within the product, even if it's not outstanding. As an example, I think that the fact that Sakurai is involved in Kirby's anime is one of the reasons Kirby's anime is a favourite.

If there were to be a Mario film, I am likely to see it alone, mainly because I am a bit embarrassed about my interests in the franchise.

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
I can see that if Illumination is collaborating, they'll want to have Minion hijinks in Mario's turf. Perhaps just in a short opening clip, or an official announcement instead of being a crossover.
At most, it'll probably be a minion easter egg (Like the minion toy in the drawer in the Lorax), or Mario'll appear with the minions when they mess around with the Illumination logo. Or maybe a short'll proceed it. Either way, it's not likely to be much.

Personally, I’d rather not this movie turns into a Minions crossover. They are good only in their own movies.

Even that's debatable. I think the actual main characters of Despicable Me are far more interesting than the comic relief Minions.

If it's just a cameo like that of the Lorax though, that's fine, but not in the plot itself. Cringy advertisements with them are likely which is sad because it might deter people from seeing the movie even if it's good.

Well, we already had the Rabbids not long ago, so I guess that makes it more unlikely.

tbh I don't think this'll be guaranteed shit. Pets was entertaining despite being a clusterfuck and despicable one's good

Why is everyone's mind going to "Minions crossover" as if that's a guarantee. I don't remember them putting Mickey Mouse in the live action film just because Disney produced it.

In terms of adaptations, Illumination did shoehorn Minions-like characters into the Lorax so some fear isn't exactly unfounded.

yeah, and I get maybe they would try that with the Toads or Goombas, but some people were just straight up saying Minions and Mario

I was mainly joking about it especially after Mario + Rabbids, not sure if I'm part of that collective you're thinking about.

Illumination's films can get pretty... hyperactive though.

As annoying as Minions are, Minion-like Toads would be even worse IMO. It would be like taking Minions dumb giggles and making them scratchy and high-pitched *shudder*

I think Toads are too gentle and easy-going to be like Minions. They're not exactly the most mischievous species out there.

Then again, the fish from Dr. Seuss isn't exactly a character I'd say would be hyperactive or mischievous.

I just found out Illumination produced Sing and I really liked that movie, so that is good news, at least for me.

Hobbes said:
I just found out Illumination produced Sing and I really liked that movie, so that is good news, at least for me.

Exactly.

And that’s the movie that raises my hopes about this one.

At this point, I wonder what was Nickelodeon's project of yesteryear: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/12/nickelodeon_allegedly_creating_animated_film_for_a_nintendo_series

Mister Wu said:
At this point, I wonder what was Nickelodeon's project of yesteryear: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/12/nickelodeon_allegedly_creating_animated_film_for_a_nintendo_series
Not Nintendo franchise and not on Nick, but it was Netflix's Castlevania (by Frederator Studios).

From that article, they stated their project was "based on one of the most world famous video games of the last 30 years", and the article assumed it will be based of a Nintendo franchise. The sources didn't even mention the word 'Nintendo'.

I’d rather just see them...make a good movie and not go the typical kids movie route with Minion-like side characters. I also don’t want an over abundance of fan service because this is a movie, not a video game which is a major problem with video game movies.

Hobbes said:
Sing is the movie where I completely lost hope that Illumination will ever do anything good again and yeah that includes this Mario movie.

I just realized that Donkey Kong has been mentioned by name in 2 different Illumination movies-- The Lorax and Despicable Me 3.

What if this movie is about Donkey Kong or at least prominently features him? They do tend to hint at their future projects, with both The Lorax and the upcoming Grinch movie hinted at in the Despicable Me movies.

Back