Splatoon 2

oh jesus christ

Pearl's design is very meh to me, but I absolutely love Marina. Amazing character design, God bless.

marina's so cute i love her

i don't hate pearl, i think she's alright, but marina really shines

Aside from the new Squid Waifus and the confirmation of the return of Splatfests, there wasn't a lot of new stuff in this direct. There were some nice weapons, like that crazy umbrella, but it mainly detailed stuff that we already knew. I'm pretty disappointed that you still need multiple Switches to do local multiplayer. They don't even have Battle Dojo from the first game which was already pretty lame. What's wrong with a simple 2-player split-screen?

As for which Squidgirl is better, I don't really know. I have mixed feelings about their existence in general, though I suppose it was inevitable that the Squid Sisters would be replaced.

Luigi 64DD said:
Aside from the new Squid Waifus and the confirmation of the return of Splatfests, there wasn't a lot of new stuff in this direct. There were some nice weapons, like that crazy umbrella, but it mainly detailed stuff that we already knew. I'm pretty disappointed that you still need multiple Switches to do local multiplayer. They don't even have Battle Dojo from the first game which was already pretty lame. What's wrong with a simple 2-player split-screen?

As for which Squidgirl is better, I don't really know. I have mixed feelings about their existence in general, though I suppose it was inevitable that the Squid Sisters would be replaced.

2-player split screen is not going to happen, what is the purpose of hidding in ink if your opponent can see you?

Cirdec said:
2-player split screen is not going to happen, what is the purpose of hidding in ink if your opponent can see you?
Well it could be where 2 people go online together and are always on the same team.

Magolor said:
Marina > Pearl
objective truth since marina is an octoling

also what the fuck is pearl even with that personality

After the initial reaction to the new broadcasters of the new game, I would like to comment on some of the new stuff.

In terms of abilities, it seems that some abilities will use a new image. Opening Gambit and Last-Ditch Effort are very different-looking (the former looks like a spawn point, and the latter looks like barricade tape). Stealth Jump looks like it will have the effect of only hiding jumps if it's a distance away. The new abilities look kind of cool: Thermal Ink works best for splash damage weapons like Blaster and Slosher, Object Shredder looks great for combating Splash Walls (the Sprinkler and Beakon are also targets), Drop Roll is kind of a neat counter ability, and the most interesting addition is the Spawn Punisher, which penalises spawn time and increases special depletion for the user and their target(s). The x2 ability is likely a good farming ability to make getting the required slots easier, and there's one ability that looks like it will make respawning easier if you're tracked.

One thing that surprised me is that in the Direct, the Blaster is treated as a separate class, which is really cool because I thought that Blasters are different from Shooters. Speaking of this, I am surprised that they have a Clash Blaster, which I think of as a "Rapid Blaster Jr.": a weapon that shoots faster than the intermediate weapon, but has less range than it.

The new weapon kits are briefly seen too. Looks like Splattershot Jr. will have a similar kit due to Ink Armour replacing Bubbler, but what's most interesting to me is the Luna Blaster. It will have Neo's Splat Bomb, but will also have the Baller Special. I hope that the Baller can be used to squish opponents similar to a roller, much like the Kraken before it. Aerospray MG have a Suction Bomb, and a Curling Bomb Launcher (it's Bomb Rush, but can be for different bombs). Having two different bomb types might be interesting.

It's a minor thing, but I am glad that the weapon test area have moving targets. It's one thing that I felt was lacking in the original's test area.

Before I forgot, the way the Inkling said "Thank you" to Crusty Sean after buying one of his stuff is frankly adorable.

Thank you for reading.

Bubsy said:
I actually prefer Pearls design.
yeah there's nothing ugly about it, however lots of art, lighting, and angles make her look really odd. she's pale with white hair so her eyebrows seem to disappear in certain situations, and since she has no bangs, this situation makes her look like she has a super big forehead (marina doesn't suffer because her hair and skin colour have more difference). the colour choice in promotional art makes her hair and skin blend together which doesn't sit right with me, either. but it is still a good design, i like it.

with the splatbrella on the way

what if we got Marie's umbrella as a weapon
what would callie get

Rohan Kishibe said:
Magolor said:
Marina > Pearl
objective truth since marina is an octoling
Wait, is she really? It's kind of unclear... If she is though, that means octolings are accepted in inkling society so long as they aren't stealing zapfishes or attacking people, which means we could have playable octolings... :eek:

I doubt it would be implemented, but having a choice between Inklings and Octolings and having different properties and abilities for each would be awesome.

Cirdec said:
Hasn't stopped Left 4 Dead 2 versus mode, which emphasizes even more on ambush and teamwork, from having splitscreen support.

Marina said:
It blocks a lot of your view, though, no matter how you split it.
Hasn't stopped many other shooters from having splitscreen multiplayer. Even if it's a recent trend that many shooters lack, doesn't excuse anything.

Man, I was hoping for a splitscreen mode, but this is really disappointing news.

I really hate the dying trend of splitscreen modes in multiplayer games, the fact that I can't play games with my twin right next to me really pisses me off.

Marina said:
It blocks a lot of your view, though, no matter how you split it.

Games like Call of Duty got around this and have 4 PLAYER SPLITSCREEN. The view disadvantage would be compensated by the coordination that two views bring.

Baby Luigi said:
Man, I was hoping for a splitscreen mode, but this is really disappointing news.

I really hate the dying trend of splitscreen modes in multiplayer games, the fact that I can't play games with my twin right next to me really pisses me off.
I mean you could

Bubsy said:
Baby Luigi said:

I mean you could

Last time I checked, "Splatoon" is called a "game" and thus is classified as part of "games" that I'm talking about that I literally can't play with my twin sister.

Nice try at attempting to sound smug, though.

Baby Luigi said:
Bubsy said:
Baby Luigi said:

I mean you could

Last time I checked, "Splatoon" is called a "game" and thus is classified as part of "games" that I'm talking about that I literally can't play with my twin sister.

Nice try at attempting to sound smug, though.
Buy a second switch

Yes, because $300 + $60 for another copy of the game to play a game that doesn't support splitscreen multiplayer on a system that clearly does is a wise investment and a good use of that money.

Back