Splatoon 2

I pre-ordered the game. I'm hoping to be one of the first few hundred thousand people to play it!

Anybody played the Splatfest demo?

I have only played one match, in time before the Splatfest ended, and while I lost the match by a few percent, I did well with the Splat Roller and getting used to its odd vertical flick. Didn't use the Curling Bombs too much because sometimes I forgot that I have Sub Weapons. It feels very nice to play, but also rushed because I only got basically one chance.

Amusingly, after the results are declared, the game will prevent access to the Square from then on.

I should get this game soon.

Thank you for reading.

ink armor literally doesnt do anything

Uniju said:
ink armor literally doesnt do anything

I'm legitimately not sure if it's broken or not. Stingray is also useless.

Anyways, since Best Buy delivered my copy yesterday instead of today, I played through the whole campaign, so here's my thoughts.

I think I liked Splatoon 1's campaign a bit more than Splatoon 2's. Some of the levels go on for a little too long.

Stages 18 and 19 are literally the worst in the game.

For all the hype/mystery surrounding Callie being evil, it amounts to literally nothing as she's barely present in the story. You """""fight"""" her for literally like 3 minutes (and you don't even directly fight her which is doubly lame) before she becomes good again. Pretty disappointing.

The final boss was fine. The first part isn't as good as Splatoon 1's first phase, but I thought this game's second phase was better than the first one's. I preferred the music of the final boss from the first one, though.

I think the ink armor only gives a slight defense boost
but it seems to work fine for me.

yeah i realized once i'd played a few more games it just takes a really long time to start. considering that it's still not great but specials in general got nerfed to the ground so i guess it's not terrible overall, it just has barely any of the utility bubbler had, and also is worse - but not COMPLETELY useless - at the stuff that it does do. seems like it'll still be useful for coordinated pushes but not so much pretty much anything defensive.

having played a bit more i'm basically fine with the new weapons and specials, but i'm still kind of disappointed in the map design. hopefully it'll get better as my and everyone else's map knowledge improves(and once i can play ranked) but the new maps all feel super flanky, we're never really pushing and holding territory the way we did in splatoon 1 even in turf war because there's just too many ways to get around, and there's always somebody coming at you from the side. also hate the gimmicks added to the old maps but the geometry changes are actually okay, mackeral was in sore need of being opened up a bit.

of course none of that matters because reggie keeps stuffing swiss cake rolls in the servers and threatening to ban me for it so i can't even play. if this doesn't pass after the launch rush i'm gonna eat a splattershot. not fucking fresh.

4QAsl0K.jpg

Yeah, I can barely get 3 matches in before Nintendo tries to kill me. Matchmaking also blows.

Glad I haven't wasted my time using Sean's EXP boosts. I'd be fucking pissed if I wasted tickets only for the servers to shit on me.

Also lol at getting a communication error in the lobby without selecting a match. Good shit.

Inbetween getting prepared for uni on Monday and writing these results for am6 I've been able to do some matches with friends and clear half of story mode

I fucking love this game <3

I'm really good with the dualies and paired with the Ninja outfit from the amiibo its my favourite setup

Shame the grind to Lv 50 seems like its gonna be so damn slow compared to splatoon 1

SW 5633 7689 5779 if you havent already added me

The only connection problem I've had was connecting to salmon rush

I just want to say

DJ Octavio is as great as ever.

I like that I can fast forward through the weapon explanations

Beat the final boss

IMHO not as memorable as the Splatoon 1 boss

but still very good with the squid sister cutscenes and the general feel of the battle, but idk the progression of the final boss across a huge-ass map was great in Splatoon 1 and here it just feels like another boss fight

The shower had more variety

Very surprised by the Hero Brella in lv 20, and I've cleared every level with it now bar the final boss again

The dialogue when you fight the boss again is amazing though

And yeah re: the weapon I was using you can't get that weapon by clearing all of the levels until they actually add it ~whenever~ but at least I'll be able to get it from the start when they do

My copy has arrived! However, I need to go home to play it.

Wonder what my go-to weapon will be this time. The only weapon I have experience with is the Roller, where I only played one battle with (Which I found to be very cool because of its vertical flick). I hope I can work well with Chargers this time, because it feels difficult to aim them when viewing from a CRT television.

Looks like Youtube gave recommendations to certain Octo Valley (single player campaign) videos, and spoilers are already mentioned, such as what happened to Callie. Unfortunately they can't be avoided save for not watching them, but I am still going fresh here.

Thank you for reading.

OK, I have played enough matches to reach Level 6, which means I have got some experience. The first thing I need to say is I found it kind of different that the experience is given through Bonus Points rather than Turf inked. This makes the process go by a bit slower if winning, or faster if losing. I presume Ranked goes by as usual, given that it grants the same amount of points as before.

The weapons I got so far besides Splattershot Jr. are Splat Roller, Splattershot, Blaster, Inkbrush and the Slosher. I have only used the Splat Roller and the Slosher because of my relative experience with them, but I would like to use the Blaster next time since it has a very good damage output.

As for the specials and sub weapons, the new ones feel very different to take advantage of. Ink Armour requires skillful use because I sometimes performed trades even after using it (with the Splattershot Jr), and the Splashdown works better as a surprise attack because it's difficult to ambush people when they see it coming. The Curling Bomb requires some planning because it seems that its detonation time is based on how long it's held. Stingray feels very difficult to use because once you start shooting, it's difficult to change direction. However, the Special that I am liking the most is Tenta Missile, which I used with the Slosher, because it's also the easiest to use.

It's interesting to see that certain weapons are available from day one. For example, Luna Blaster is a weapons that's not available on day 1 in Splatoon 1, but I heard that its ink consumption has increased greatly (double from the first game). Some weapons are not available early on, namely the Dual Squelcher.

Once I got used to the Pro Controller's controls, it's pretty smooth-sailing from there.

Thank you for reading.

I'm at Level 8 and so far I've been having a good time, winning a lot of battles too. But I'm not to sure I like the Stages, many feel the same. I got the game yesterday.

And I just had a 1v2. And the 2 others didn't want to have a Squid party. :'(

winstein said:
Ink Armour requires skillful use because I sometimes performed trades even after using it (with the Splattershot Jr)
Is "trades" what you call it when both you and the person you are attacking get splatted? I always call it a mutual splat.

I feel that I will once again be doing well with Sloshers, because the first time I played with it I did consistently well. I do like to be able to use Blasters well, mainly for its power advantage, but it can be difficult to do directs with it.

Luigi 64DD said:
winstein said:
Ink Armour requires skillful use because I sometimes performed trades even after using it (with the Splattershot Jr)
Is "trades" what you call it when both you and the person you are attacking get splatted? I always call it a mutual splat.

Yes, that's what "trading" means. I guess I took the term for granted after many people used it, including professional players.

Thank you for reading.

Update, at Level 11. B- in Splat Zones, haven't played Tower Control. Rainmaker is different but I like it. Also Humpback might be my favorite map so far. Still waiting for Triggerfish and Flounder Heights.

Also the single player mode is kinda hard. I'm struggling with weapons like the charger and splatling. Also I'm trying to learn motion control so these levels are taking me like 20 minutes. And Octosnipers scare the shit outta me.

Uniju said:
but the new maps all feel super flanky, we're never really pushing and holding territory the way we did in splatoon 1 even in turf war because there's just too many ways to get around, and there's always somebody coming at you from the side. also hate the gimmicks added to the old maps but the geometry changes are actually okay, mackeral was in sore need of being opened up a bit.
i missed this earlier but i completely agree

to add to this, the game seems to shit on snipers at a greater height than what it did in 1 because the new maps are fucking flat and any positions with even a small amount of height have 40% of your view blocked and direct access from somewhere a flanker can catch you out from

bring back skatepark, underpass, triggerfish, bluefin, and saltspray. Splatoon 2 makes me miss stages that were pretty much battlegrounds for two distinct zones like in the latter three, underpass was at least a fun flanking map and skatepark was just smol

ranking the stages:

moray towers
port mackerel
the reef
sturgeon shipyard
musselforge fitness
inkblot art academy
humpback pump track
starfish mainstage

Back