2001: A Mario Odyssey

What I think also contributed to the age rating but what no one talks about is
the fucking realistic dragon that uses a death ray to blast you down at a certain point.

winstein said:
Another interesting thing is that Tostarena is Mexican-themed instead of Egyptian themes (as would be assumed because sandy desert = Egypt) because the director Kenta Motokura is fascinated with his trip to Mexico and wanted to reflect that in-game. It's for the best in any case because Mexicans enjoyed a form of Mexican representation in Mario games.
...the town, its music, its residents, and the poncho+sombrero from the shop weren't an instant tipoff of it being based off of mexico...?

Kaito Momota said:
winstein said:
Another interesting thing is that Tostarena is Mexican-themed instead of Egyptian themes (as would be assumed because sandy desert = Egypt) because the director Kenta Motokura is fascinated with his trip to Mexico and wanted to reflect that in-game. It's for the best in any case because Mexicans enjoyed a form of Mexican representation in Mario games.
...the town, its music, its residents, and the poncho+sombrero from the shop weren't an instant tipoff of it being based off of mexico...?

Well, there's a reason the director incorporated the very elements that you speak of into the Sand Kingdom, instead of Egyptian-related elements based on the common perception that sandy desert = Egypt. Meaning, if they went through with the Egyptian motif, it could very well be designed differently as to have different music, residents and the clothes.

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
Well, there's a reason the director incorporated the very elements that you speak of into the Sand Kingdom, instead of Egyptian-related elements based on the common perception that sandy desert = Egypt. Meaning, if they went through with the Egyptian motif, it could very well be designed differently as to have different music, residents and the clothes.

Thank you for reading.
But there are Egypt themes in Sand Kingdom? We have a Sphinx and a Pyramid and vast expanse of barren sand dunes, which looks more like the Sahara than Mexico (to be fair, we have Algodones Dunes and Gran Desierto de Altar from Sonoran Desert, but I'd like to see more variety in desert design like in real life). I say it's both Egyptian and Mexican. Heck, I'd say most deserts have already American elements by the mere inclusion of cacti. I'd honestly want less Egypt and more Maya/Olmec-like temples.

The sphinx is in other kingdoms, so he's not there to affect the theme of the Sand Kingdom, though it would appear that way. Also, I got more of a Mesoamerican vibe from the pyramids, though I'll admit they do have some Egyptian design qualities.

Lakituthequick said:
the fucking realistic dragon that uses a death ray to blast you down at a certain point.
Well, according to the ESRB the reasons are how the enemies react to Mario's attack, Mechawiggler being fought with tanks and exploding, Bowser being fought with punches and Cookatiel spitting various thing at Mario.

Mister Wu said:
Lakituthequick said:
Well, according to the ESRB the reasons are how the enemies react to Mario's attack, Mechawiggler being fought with tanks and exploding, Bowser being fought with punches and Cookatiel spitting various thing at Mario.
Yes, but do they have to describe every titbit of what makes a games rating?

None of this is any worse than previous Mario games, tbh, especially since the Mario Party series has always been worse at that department.

Baby Luigi said:
None of this is any worse than previous Mario games, tbh, especially since the Mario Party series has always been worse at that department.

I see your point, though I don't think Mario Party has any realistic-looking monsters. I imagine that with how Mario Party portrays its violence as cartoon, like how characters bounce on lava/fire when they come into contact with it, it's not that realistic.

Thank you for reading.

I don't think realistic monsters really account for a rating rise though. Maybe if they're terrifying enough, maybe but I just don't think mere visual realism means a higher rating.

But on the other hand, Rayman Legends and Kirby have an E10+, probably for being a tad more violent than Mario.

Actually, Mario Party 4's Bowser Events (whether you land on a Bowser Space or play a Bowser minigame) are probably one of the most intense moments in the Mario series. Especially if you lose the Bowser minigame.

Some of Mario Party 5's minigames can also be quite violent, like you watching characters fall to their death in Merry Poppings.

Oh, and did I forget Burnstile, that minigame that always pops up in my mind when I see the words "Mario Party is violent"? It has your characters avoiding a steel, fast-moving spiky iron bar and it makes a huge bang sound when a character gets smacked by it.

I'd attribute that to slapstick. I say the most violent aspect of Mario Party is that Piranha Plant game from Mario Party 1, which was even toned down for Mario Party: The Top 100. Otherwise, it's comic mischief. I think Rayman is a bit worse since you physically beat up characters and there are sprites that show an actual impact on them (which are highly exaggerated). Kirby has the whole grabbing and pounding schmucks with fighter and whip ability, and impaling things. I think impact of violence (like characters realistically recoiling, and ragdolling when things go limp) plays a role here, especially when Nintendo had a problem with Super Mario Spikers and not Smash Bros..

I'm still not sure how Odyssey got a higher rating, but I barely played the game. I think the whole possession thing took the ratings a notch higher, though.

Honestly, it's probably the fight with Madame Broode fight and the punching the shit out of Bowser stuff.

J-Yoshi64 said:
Obviously it's Mario's nipples that gave the game an E 10+ rating.
Sadly didn't apply in Mario & Sonic at Rio 2016.

MarioSonic_Rio2016_promoart.png

097-M%26SATROGMarioSurfing.png

Of course, I noticed it before it later became the craze in Odyssey. :new:

TheSuperStarSaga said:
Ryoma Hoshi said:
XscPvHZ.png

oh my god

Mario is still a plumber! All those stupid articles claiming he's no longer a plumber are false. Thank god.

And Mario being still being plumber still isn't a spoiler, as those articles shouldn't have claimed he wasn't a plumber in the first place. However, the visual details in the image I'm replying too, is a spoiler, so spoiler warning to that.
Uh, I'd actually limit this to America, as I've seen the Japanese version of that segment and...
There's no "plumber boy" at all, Bowser seems to be talking to the dragon as he pretty much says "Show your power":
Also the Italian version is missing the "plumber boy", by the way.

LeftyGreenMario said:
J-Yoshi64 said:
Obviously it's Mario's nipples that gave the game an E 10+ rating.
Sadly didn't apply in Mario & Sonic at Rio 2016.

MarioSonic_Rio2016_promoart.png

097-M%26SATROGMarioSurfing.png

Of course, I noticed it before it later became the craze in Odyssey. :new:
Clearly, this is the work of Mario's magical ability to detail/un-detail his nipples at will. Can't afford to confuse too many children.

ok can we talk about the steam gardeners because their dialogue is criminally underrated

"The Steam Gardens are objectively superior to other regions! Wooo."
"Patience expiring! Initiating passive-aggressive commentary!"
"Why haven't we grown flowers here? Horticultural cowardice, I say!"

theyre my favorite npcs i love them

The first comment jabs at internet gamer assholes and I love it.

I like the shiverians too, they're so cute and the races are quite funny and have a surprisingly high skill ceiling for being just a minigame.

Wait wait wait...
Steam Gardeners think they are superior to anything?

And they’re robots...

Who knows what they are hiding? Maybe they are looking forward to EXTERMINATE anything that’s not related to the Wooded Kin...

220px-Dalek_%28Dr_Who%29.jpg

latest

Oh sorry I freaked out for nothing they’re not the same thing.

Back