Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

I was proud when I beat it on hard.

So what I've seen from this game I only have 2 minor nitpicks.

1. The characters colours look a little faded

2. Still re-using voice clips from power tennis.

I see no probs with character colors. In fact, isn't this Mario Kart 8's Mario model?

The voice clips are placeholder, hopefully

Maybe it's just the lighting.

And I hope they are place holders, no offense to Scott Burns but I don't want to hear his Bowser in a new game.

Mcmadness said:
I was proud when I beat it on hard.

So what I've seen from this game I only have 2 minor nitpicks.

1. The characters colours look a little faded

2. Still re-using voice clips from power tennis.
And some recordings in Power Tennis were taken from Mario Tennis freaking 64, namely, Mario.

His serve noise in particular.

It's pretty jarring to see modern Baby Mario making N64 Baby Mario noises

Granted it's not a huge difference but....y'know, if you're fans of characters you tend to look at the small details

The only one who is using his modern voice is toad from the looks of it.

It's nice to see Toad (and other Toads that fill in for him) becoming relevant again. He's pretty much consistently playable nowadays. Except in Mario & Sonic. *grumbles*

Baby Luigi said:
I never got Open's hate, aside from the roster, tbh
The online system is horrendous and completing the game is annoying because you have to grind soooooo much on the same things just to get coins, which is especially stupid seeing as normal matches don't give you coins and only make you have to spend more because it just unlocks stuff.

Lyn said:
Baby Luigi said:
The online system is horrendous and completing the game is annoying because you have to grind soooooo much on the same things just to get coins, which is especially stupid seeing as normal matches don't give you coins and only make you have to spend more because it just unlocks stuff.

I don't play online and I unlocked everything from the shop a very long time ago, thanks to local multilayer play and that it's fun playing with my twin. Besides, it's just mii gear so...yeah it wasn't that bad.

so no wonder none of this applies to me

Baby Luigi said:
Lyn said:
Baby Luigi said:

I don't play online and I unlocked everything from the shop a very long time ago, thanks to local multilayer play and that it's fun playing with my twin. Besides, it's just mii gear so...yeah it wasn't that bad.

Yeah while it is just Mii gear, my completionist soul is obligated to get everything.

If you didn't know, the rating system for the online is broken and you lose/win it extremely erratically, and pretty much every opponent is a Mii (which I guess juxtaposes what I just said in a sense but eh) so it feels boring. You could play with friends, but the online is region-locked, which is literally one of the worst things you could do with it. Kills a lot of replay value if you lack offline amigos, which is where I presume the hate mostly stems from.

Region-locked? But freaking why?

Can't overlook the stupid Miis in Tennis Open. Hate those things.

Oh ok, now I understand. I still believe it's a good game when you only plan to play it offline like what I did.

If Miis return, I hope they won't be overpowered again, I don't want online full of soulless characters.

Lyn said:
Baby Luigi said:
Lyn said:
Baby Luigi said:

Yeah while it is just Mii gear, my completionist soul is obligated to get everything.

If you didn't know, the rating system for the online is broken and you lose/win it extremely erratically, and pretty much every opponent is a Mii (which I guess juxtaposes what I just said in a sense but eh) so it feels boring. You could play with friends, but the online is region-locked, which is literally one of the worst things you could do with it. Kills a lot of replay value if you lack offline amigos, which is where I presume the hate mostly stems from.
Oh, and is the lag terrible?

You can't really have a 100% lag-free online, but it's worse when tennis requires precise positioning and reaction time.

The local multiplayer isn't so bad, but it does have its faults (some lag and the CPU's difficulty adjusts depending on your performance.... uh, why not just give us control over their difficulties?).

Cirdec said:
If Miis return, I hope they won't be overpowered again, I don't want online full of soulless characters.

If they have to return (and they will) and if they have to be overpowered pieces of turds then make an option for miis only and mario characters only matches

The best case scenario is not to return the damn things but that's not happening.

After Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash there should be a new Mario Golf just like how we got MG:WT after MTO. It better be announced in 2016 and it should not be delayed. Like really, I don't want to have to suffer through Wii Sports Club golf.

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash has gotta be good and it should have connectivity with Mario Tennis Open.

I don't understand the appeal of making cheap impersonators in favor of Mario either, even when Mario is available.

god fucking dammit lumastar now im back to missing bitf

at least start your mafia game as compensation

Baby Luigi said:
Cirdec said:

If they have to return (and they will) and if they have to be overpowered pieces of turds then make an option for miis only and mario characters only matches

The best case scenario is not to return the damn things but that's not happening.

Just give the Miis average stats.

Back