Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

Replace every character with a variation of Mario

Now you're thinking like me! :fancy:

With a new Tennis game, I hope we get a Golf game next year! Personally I like golfing more than tennis, but Mario Tennis is good too. It would be a bonus if Power Tennis is available here.

Thanks for reading.

I suppose those that the most unhappy with this game are the Golden Sun fans. Others aren't so happy we didn't get Strikers or Baseball, and I understand.

I'm still relieved we didn't get any new announcements for a Mario platformer. I'm ecstatic we got this game rather than Galaxy 3 or Sunshine 2 or Super Mario 3D Terraqueous Macrocosm.

Hell, my sister got a nightmare that this E3 will announce one of those three games.

As long as it doesn't have the watered-down controls from Open Tour, I'll be excited.

Mario Party Σ said:
I'm still relieved we didn't get any new announcements for a Mario platformer. I'm ecstatic we got this game rather than Galaxy 3 or Sunshine 2 or Super Mario 3D Terraqueous Macrocosm.

Hell, my sister got a nightmare that this E3 will announce one of those three games.
Would that actually be a problem?

Time Turner said:
As long as it doesn't have the watered-down controls from Open Tour, I'll be excited.

Mario Party Σ said:

YES

Time Turner said:
...the last platformer was pretty good...

i havent played 3d world but i havent really enjoyed any mario platformer since sunshine

To each their own, I suppose, but personally, I was having fun with them. Sure, the 2D sidescroller thing was getting stale around the Wii U's launch, but they were still good games (imo).

Time Turner said:
...the last platformer was pretty good...

It is but to be frank I'm sick of them. My platformer wants are far beyond satisfied at this point.

Time Turner said:

Mario Party Σ said:

Yes.

We have New Super Mario Bros. U/New Super Luigi U, Super Mario 3D World, Mario vs. Donkey Kong (that only a few care, but listing it anyway), AND we're getting a level making 2D platformer. Considering that we got Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Rayman Legends, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, don't you think another 3D Mario game would be a tad excessive? Not to mention, people are complaining that Mario games feel too safe and stale; it wouldn't help if we got yet another sequel to a genre that's filled with Nintendo and Rayman platformers.

In the meantime, we haven't gotten a console noncrossover Mario sports game in a while, so I am very happy that we're now getting such a game. I wanted Strikers and Baseball as well, but I'll settle with tennis for a while.

If they can innovate, why not? Sure, the string of NSMB/NBSMW/NSMB2/NSMBU was unnecessary (even if the final product was good, no points for lots of originality), but pretty much all of those games are really different from one-another. Sure, they're all platformers, but that's like if someone said they dislike all sports games when there are a variety sports that have games and all of the different spins on it, like the Mario series of sports. I don't see the problem, myself.

actually the nsmb games are pretty similar

same graphic style, same music style, and most of them have giant bowser final boss

but then again all the bosses sucked

Time Turner said:
If they can innovate, why not? Sure, the string of NSMB/NBSMW/NSMB2/NSMBU was unnecessary (even if the final product was good, no points for lots of originality), but pretty much all of those games are really different from one-another. Sure, they're all platformers, but that's like if someone said they dislike all sports games when there are a variety sports that have games and all of the different spins on it, like the Mario series of sports. I don't see the problem, myself.

Frankly, I get sick and tired of particular genres. If there was like several racing games like Mario Kart on the same console, I'd get tired of that. Platformers just overall play the same especially compared to varying genres. The Wii U has too much platformers and not enough variety of genres for people who like things other than platformers (platformers are not my favorite genre anyway).

Time Turner said:
Using traveling as an analogy (pardon if it has huge flaws), sports games and other multiplayer-oriented games are like week-long stops, whereas singe-player Mario platformers is kind of like traveling through landscapes. The one relies on staying power and the other relies on a one-time playing experience. The novelty wears off in both games, but it's much more difficult to hold your attention to the platformer once its done. Meanwhile, the sports games have a longer shelf-life, so I think they have more of an excuse to simply add more characters and refine the gameplay a bit. People don't expect each Super Smash Bros. to be different for once, probably because it comes only once per generation and that it's a multiplayer game built around replay value. I can't say exactly why we are more resistant to very big changes in the multiplayer games compared to the platformers, but if someone can understand my viewpoint and elaborate, it would help.

Yeah, I know that.

Kind of like Power Shots more. Didn't care that they stopped animation and all, and it's all good when it allows you to exploit the AI (Ace AI uses Offensive Power Shot, you use Defensive or another Offensive Power Shot and they hardly return that). Defense Shots are annoying still.

Mario Party Σ said:
yoshiking14x said:
PeDaRoYs said:
Mcmadness said:
Goomba's partner can be Koopa
How about Dry Bones
A paragoomba or a Shyguy

I bet that the new character if real is most likely to be female to balance the gender ratio or perhaps a "villain" who is somehow a tennis champion.
Well, it ain't Mario Kart.

Mcmadness said:
To alibama?
Huh?
How is that Mario Kart?

I wouldn't have minded a 3D Land 2 or something but I can understand why people feel oversaturated.

I hope they bring back mini games from power tennis

Even if it's Tennis again, I am fine with it because we didn't get a Mario Tennis on Wii U but on 3DS, and these types of games have better potential in Wii U.

Mcmadness said:
I hope they bring back mini games from power tennis

Power Tennis had the best minigames and best of all, they had no stupid piranha plant minigame thing where it's BORING.

Baby Luigi said:
Power Tennis had the best minigames and best of all, they had no stupid piranha plant minigame thing where it's BORING.

My favourite was mecha Bowser mayhem and painting the walls

I remember Mecha Bowser Mayhem about to take my arms off

That's before I knew you could charge the dang power beams. Made the fight a whole ton easier.

Artist on the Court has always been my favorite minigame

Though Mario Tennis Open had some great minigames. The Super Mario Bros. thing was pretty cool. I found Galaxy Rally better than Gooper Blooper. Except Ink Showdown, it's boring.

Back