post any random Mario thought on your mind

When I was little, I caught bits and pieces of the movie on cable. Learning *much* later than what I saw was "based on" Mario was... surprising.

I was surprised there even was Mario cartoon, and in my vague memory I did recall a moment where Toad used his mushroom hat as a parachute. Also I don't remember them speaking in English at the time, maybe French? It's such a distant memory. I'm such a small kid but for some reason, I just felt nervous watching it and tried to pretend I wasn't interested, but I think it's just me on a larger scale being way too shy to share passionate interests, maybe out of fear people just won't appreciate them?

As for the film, I don't think I even realized such a thing existed probably well into mid 2000s (there's like a passing mention of the film in a Guinness World Record book... I think??) but all it took was one screenshot of a human dude with monsters with tiny heads and giant jackets to lose interest.

but I think it's just me on a larger scale being way too shy to share passionate interests, maybe out of fear people just won't appreciate them?
On that note I think it's important to embrace what you like and are interested in regardless of what other people may think, and if you don't you're a coward.

Unless it's harmful shit of course, but that goes without saying.

Of course, I do that these days. It's just back then, I had some instinctive fear of sharing my interests and being embarrassed when I do. I don't know if anyone else experienced that, or if it's just me. Eh being deemed a "coward" doesn't make me feel better.

My friend is teaching me poker, and while listening to the rules I remembered I played poker with Luigi!
(Not my video)

I missed the convo, but I prefer to think the Koopa Troop is composed of A: Evil little shits that just wanna see the world burn, B: People unwillingly drafted and/or just doing as Bowser says so they don't face his ire, and the odd few nice guys who are just in it for the free housing/being legally allowed to hurt people. Their opinion on Mario also varies; some acknowledge him as the true hero and don't mind losing to him (and some of them are friendly with the bros in spite of their different alliances), and there's often infighting amongst those members and those who want Mario's head on a pike.

Anyways, on a mostly unrelated note, seeing that SM64 First person mod really made me wonder what it'd be like if the next 3D Mario game allowed you to switch to first-person mode. It probably wouldn't happen, but damn, seeing Mario do all those jumps in first person really makes me wonder how he doesn't puke his guts out, like damn.

Anyways, on a mostly unrelated note, seeing that SM64 First person mod really made me wonder what it'd be like if the next 3D Mario game allowed you to switch to first-person mode. It probably wouldn't happen, but damn, seeing Mario do all those jumps in first person really makes me wonder how he doesn't puke his guts out, like damn.

Well, on a somewhat related note, Mario Kart 7 had a first-person mode and I enjoyed it, so it baffled the hell out of me to see it taken out in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. First-person mode is like a freaking staple in racing games in general yet Mario Kart struggles to have that (and a speedometer -which was in 64, Super Circuit, and Double Dash but unceremoniously taken out as well).

Because the Koopalings can apparently fool them by dressing up as a cake and Mario doesn't do anything about it for 50000 yeasr

He also just watches as Peach is taken away in an airship in those cutscenes of New Super Mario Bros Wii and has the nerve to say come back after the fact.

mushroom kingdom citizens aren't....the brightest

Why doesnt Peach just hire Mario to be her bodyguard 24/7?
Mario IS her bodyguard, it's just the powers-that-be keep foiling their plans. No, I'm not talking about Bowser or the Koopalings, it's all on the whims of a few crazy Japanese people like Takashi Tezuka.

He also just watches as Peach is taken away in an airship in those cutscenes of New Super Mario Bros Wii and has the nerve to say come back after the fact.
Saying "come back" expends a lot more effort than you think. Every time Mario says a complete word, some of his life force is drained.

There seriously needs to be a Mario platformer where there's a playable cast that's similar to Mario Party and other spinoffs. They don't have to be choosy aside from hitbox probably (that didn't stop Mario Party from having Wario, Donkey Kong, and Waluigi playable in their minigames). It's more apparent how incredulous the roster limitations are in Mario Kart where character stats and apparence matter even less, and the animations are far from fancy unlike in Mario Penis Asses.

Reactions: zel

Stories like this are why I can't stand Nintendo as a corporation.

I don't get it. Games like Garry's Mod and Spore (and Spore: Galactic Adventures) have Mario's likeness and Mario-themed maps with a 1:1 accuracy running rampant around all the time, yet their content doesn't get taken down. Mods like this have existed since forever in plenty of 3rd party games. It's only now, in Dreams, that it's apparently become an issue, and Nintendo exercising this amount of control over other people's content in a 3rd party game all about user-created content strongly irritate me.

I know that Dreams does want to create paid user-created content and I'd imagine that would be highly problematic but the thing is, Nintendo is taking down these creations prior to those even being implemented.

Remember when Nintendo waited 10 years to take down a fan remake of Metroid II: Return of Samus made entirely from the ground up with only using Game Maker all because they had their uglier, less fun Metroid II remake in the works themselves?

Pepperidge farm remembers.

Let's not forget the Brawl mod Legacy XP either, which recently disbanded. Listen, I know there's no proof Nintendo directly approached them but if memory serves Project M got into a similar situation close to the end of its life that totally wasn't a C&D until it was.

Something I noticed tho is that it's mostly Mario getting this treatment. I've almost never seen a non-Mario Nintendo-themed fangame getting taken down. It's like they care less about copyright all of a sudden if it's something like idk, Zelda.

Like, the Fire Emblem community hosts an E3 for fangames the community makes yet it doesn't seem to attract any attention. I guess when it comes to your baby boy Mario you gotta protect him at all costs, eh?

Pokemon has a worse copyright gatekeeping than Mario. I think it's tied to how popular the series is and Mario and Pokemon are Nintendo's top two most popular series.

Sucks to want to make fangames about popular Nintendo franchises, doesn't it.

I mean I can totally understand wanting to protect their IPs but sheesh, almost none of these fangames getting taken down are affecting the sales of their games.

If anything it's free advertisement for the real deal.

The balance between control and freedom is an interesting topic because the creators want to have a degree of control over their properties lest it gets misrepresented, yet fans generally want complete freedom to project their creativity over said property. Many people cite SEGA's handling of Sonic to be a highlight because fan games are famously allowed, and in fact, Sonic Mania's team did fan games before they became professionals (and thus more qualified to develop an official Sonic game), yet at the same time they seem to stop certain merchandise like certain shirts from being sold. A similar case could be made for Garfield, although it would seem that Garfield is on the side of too much freedom and that seems to go well with the fans (and anti-fans).

The words on Mario fan games being "takedown-happy" made me think that they are completely disallowed, yet last I checked, Mario Fan Games Galaxy still exists as a website. That means Psycho Waluigi, one of the more popular Mario fan games, is still available. I suppose only those that are well-known are subjected to being barred, which is admittedly quite numerous since there are plenty of well-known fan games that include No Mario's Sky. Same goes to Pokemon, where to my knowledge Uranium is the only one that is taken down, since Pokemon Zeta/Omicron seems to still be around. I imagine that in Pokemon's case, it would be very easy to mistake fanmade Pokemon as official, which is probably something that would be troublesome to deal with were it to become popular (Zeta/Omicron uses existing Pokemon so I guess it might be safe for that reason).

I don't know about free advertisement: sure you can say that a fanmade game is free and might interest potential fans, but it would thus be preferable to play the free game as opposed to an official equivalent. Perhaps a more understandable example is that Another Metroid 2 Remake, which was taken down and was generally more understood when an official Metroid 2 remake on the 3DS was announced. Videos, on the other hand, are more easily understood as free advertisements compared to games.

I don't get it. Games like Garry's Mod and Spore (and Spore: Galactic Adventures) have Mario's likeness and Mario-themed maps with a 1:1 accuracy running rampant around all the time, yet their content doesn't get taken down. Mods like this have existed since forever in plenty of 3rd party games. It's only now, in Dreams, that it's apparently become an issue, and Nintendo exercising this amount of control over other people's content in a 3rd party game all about user-created content strongly irritate me.

I know that Dreams does want to create paid user-created content and I'd imagine that would be highly problematic but the thing is, Nintendo is taking down these creations prior to those even being implemented.
I can't claim to know about Dreams' future plans, but I imagine that announcement of paid user-created content is enough for a need of action to be taken, since there might be an option to convert the current ones to be paid. I imagine that in most user-content games they are free, so it's not an issue for them to be taken down. Or maybe the nature of Dreams, a game creator, made it a more justified target.

Thank you for reading.

imo copyright should mean "if it's clearly taking away n's profit its bad" not "if it has any kind of mario likeness and isnt explicitly liscened by n its bad even if its essentially free advertising"

Reactions: zel
Back