post any random Mario thought on your mind

I think the roulette, being a feature in every item-based racing game, is here to stay. I think it should be stopped faster, yes, perhaps like in Crash Team Racing, but I wouldn't remove it entirely. It's supposed to convey wacky randomness, as the sound conveys a slot machine, most apparent in Mario Kart. You're supposed to see what it scrolls in anticipation of what you're going to get. It aids in the nature of the game while being largely inconsequential in affecting the gameplay. Asking why it's there is like asking why they make characters say something in anti-gravity for only one time or asking why characters hold an item on their hand.

The Discord had a discussion about how SM64 having 120 stars lead to the following 3D Marios having a lot of filler duff and duff missions (until Odyssey up-ended the collectable structure) for the sole purpose of matching SM64's star count instead of just including the actually fun and inspired levels. It's an interesting thought, and it made me think about my current playthrough of Yoshi's Crafted World and I very much appreciate the game' bolds decision to not have a rigid world structure.

Visuals themes theme only gets as much levels as the theme has material for. You don't have to go a boring, played-out castle tilset every 4 levels "because that's what Yoshi's Island did", etc. The result is a game that's protein-packed with variety and freshness. ,

I think some of it overlooks the problem with the goal-oriented structure the 3D Marios had. With the collectibles being a star and forcing you to exit the level, that's just set up to have repetitive sequences when you enter the level. Odyssey did what 3D Marios should've done earlier, by putting all collectibles in one level and let you continue with the level in some cases rather than have you constantly revisit those levels. Super Mario 64 and Sunshine do have a mission structure where you can collect Star no 8 before Star no 2, and some missions are drastically different from one another like Super Mario 64 DS having loose Chain Chomps for its Silver Stars, but I don't think there's enough of that being done to justify that being used for the entire game. While earlier levels like Bob-omb Battlefield, Jolly Roger Bay, and Chill Mountain introduce some variation of the same level (but not much), later levels like Lethal Lava Land, Snow Man's Land, Wet Dry World (barring maybe the first mission if I recall correctly?), and Shifting Sand Lands don't do much with their missions; all missions look practically the same except for star locations.

Galaxy and Galaxy 2 kinda adopted the mission structures better, at least when levels are better designed to take advantage of missions, since there's more flexibility in changing the planetoids you need to visit, though that's not perfect as some galaxies adopt a less linear structure like Beach Bowl or Star Shine and gets the same problem of repetitive re-entering the levels and doing the same things until you reach a new part of the mission. Galaxy and Galaxy 2 can come off as trying to do two different things, which has it lose some focus on what it wants to be, but I think the mission-based planet 1-planet 2 railroad structure ends up conflicting with the entire idea of alien-space-exploration.

Personally I just can't really get behind the structure of level design in SM64 and SMS. I grew up with SMG1&2 and I always liked being able to know what I was doing, whereas in the first two, I just didn't like having to constantly look for stuff and work out what I had to do - it was hard, but not in an entertaining way. Nonpersonally however, I see it as something which fans should find appreciable so I credit it

Maybe Birdo is indeed trans, I'm not too sure. But if her preferred gender is female then I think she should be referred to as female. The same goes for Vivian.

I see arguments all the time whenever she's brought up and I'm just sitting here like "Guys, it's so simple, if she wants to be female then she's female."

unlike most things in super paper mario i dont like the credits theme. i just think it fails to capture the atmosphere of everything thats happened in the game and in particular the ending (as i personally feel proof of existence and bounding through time very much succeeded in.) i still kinda like it on its own though, but its a dissappointment. paper mario ttyd and bowsers inside story both had good credits themes imo

I see arguments all the time whenever she's brought up and I'm just sitting here like "Guys, it's so simple, if she wants to be female then she's female."

Whoever brings up the "confusion" surrounding Birdo's gender is still living in the 2000's as far as I'm concerned.

unlike most things in super paper mario i dont like the credits theme. i just think it fails to capture the atmosphere of everything thats happened in the game and in particular the ending (as i personally feel proof of existence and bounding through time very much succeeded in.) i still kinda like it on its own though, but its a dissappointment. paper mario ttyd and bowsers inside story both had good credits themes imo
oh relatedly mario odyssey while is still my favorite game ever i will still complain about its credits theme endlessly.. its just fossil falls but slightly different! i LOVE fossil falls on its own but in context of the credits theme its just kinda disappointing ngl

I used to be such a supporter of these by the way. So glad I changed mindsets.

im not talking about having depth, im talking about "mario is a genocidal maniac who kills the koopa troop's kids for no reason"

The following jokes I would be glad not to see again in my life time.

Mario drug jokes
Mario is an asshole jokes
Victim Shaming Peach jokes

Feel free to add to this list.
Just look up reasons some people hate Mario. The jokes and those reasons overlap, aside from "annoying voice". I don't like jokes that also overplay Mario's accent. Isn't the accent a joke in of itself already?

Also the Mario is a womanizer jokes, as well as piling on his stereotype in a pretty offensive way (Mario's not that offensive to Italians is he? There's no anti-defamation league efforts to tone him down), tend to miss the consistently established timeline, in spite of the lack of canon, where Mario and Peach know each other since they're babies, so the jokes where Peach thinks Mario is just some weirdo fat slob for asking for her kiss out of nowhere require that kind of ignorance.

extend that to koopa troop as well
As McMadness brought up a while ago, not only the Koopa Troop revel in opposing Mario and being disruptive, the real answer is Bowser being the evil one for deploying them in the first place rather than Mario for cartoonishly bopping them silly. Mario's just doing his job of restoring Mushroom Kingdom to peace, kidnapping isn't exactly a nice thing to happen to one of your leaders. Those Koopas unconditionally support Bowser and oppose Mario and Luigi and Peach's Kingdom in most cases.

Aye, they follow him out of loyalty and respect (and a bit of fear of making him mad) and know full well what he's doing most of the time is bad.

Except Bowser jr. I'm convinced he's mainly bad because he just wants to make his dad proud and being spoiled.

I hate the jokes that insert sex as well. Whether it be a standard "Mario fucking Peach" or "Peach fucking Luigi or Bowser while Mario gets angry about it"

these jokes are incredibly shallow and rely on "hey look these friendly cartoon characters are doing kinky adult things" (not to mention I don't ship any of those pairings above)

my rule is that all Mario characters are aces anyhow. some people don't seem to realize that romantic attraction is detached from sexual attraction.

I hate the jokes that insert sex as well. Whether it be a standard "Mario fucking Peach" or "Peach fucking Luigi or Bowser while Mario gets angry about it"

these jokes are incredibly shallow and rely on "hey look these friendly cartoon characters are doing kinky adult things" (not to mention I don't ship any of those pairings above)

Pretty sure those are made by your average edgelord high schooler deep in the stages of puberty who desperately wants to be an adult and thinks that's what being an adult is all about.

You say that but, adults make stupid humour too.

See any Adam Sandler movie.

When I was young and didn't know what time things released I thought that one episode in the Super Mario World cartoon where someone hits a block and a bunch of tiny Marios pop out was a reference to the Pal Pills in Super Paper Mario.

I remember when I was a youngin on the internet and saw photos of the super mario bros movie (this was before youtube) and thought it was fake,

Then I found out a friend of mine owned a copy so I borrowed it from him to watch it.

Back