Mario pictures

He deliberately abandoned a lucrative Twitter marketing campaign for his game, and it somehow didn't make a dent in its sales. Wario's just that good of a business executive.

See, Cruisin Blast is so good, even plushies enjoy playing it.

ill say i LOVE the trend of early 3d games (and probaly other media) just, taking a singular pose for a character and rendering it in like 6 different angles just because of how impressive 3d was at hte time

Mario punching Mario punching Mario punching Mario punching

then the wiki is giving the next utterly tragic sequence of images a moment of silence.'

Oh there's the angles being shown off, but they also rendered a time lapse of Mario golfing

Marioswing2.jpg

Ah back when I was a youngin and Mario's now horribly outdated face looked impressive.

Which it was, considering how most 3D things at the time didn't even have facial movement at all and were often just expressionless.

Kinda wonder how they did it really.

Which it was, considering how most 3D things at the time didn't even have facial movement at all and were often just expressionless.

Facial animation isn't all that much different than arm and leg animation technically speaking. But for stuff like in-game model, N64 can't render a lot of polies, so they usually relied on textures to change facial expression. Faces is probably the single most difficult thing to rig for a character, so some games just relied on vertex animation (such as Source's Half Life 2) or just mesh swapping (like Smash Bros. 4 and Ultimate, though Brawl did use bone animation for some).

Facial animation isn't all that much different than arm and leg animation technically speaking. But for stuff like in-game model, N64 can't render a lot of polies, so they usually relied on textures to change facial expression. Faces is probably the single most difficult thing to rig for a character, so some games just relied on vertex animation (such as Source's Half Life 2) or just mesh swapping (like Smash Bros. 4 and Ultimate, though Brawl did use bone animation for some).

Now I know.

And knowing is half the battle.

I thought you were talking about Old Old Mario at first, everything is awkward here head to toe.

Nah, I never had a SNES growing up.

See I was impressed by Double Dash's visuals but that opinion changed. I also believed in engine rendering can't match game art even but here we are with Luigi's Mansion 3 Mario and Luigi looking better than Double Dash Mario and Luigu renders. I remember being impressed with Mario Kart 8's visuals, which still look nice but it definitely has aged a lot and looks like a decade old despite not being a decade old.

On 3D it's also the technology needed to make the models that's dated. People used nurbs more often than poly to make this stuff (game art particularly) and nurbs aren't the most flexible thing to work with iirc. Models, even the game art material, are gonna be heavily limited by that and more heavily reliant on post processing (game art, textures added in game art are likely that), and the stuff made with polys are even more limited.

Back