Unpopular opinions about the Super Smash Bros series.

Moldomré said:
These "power-ups" you mention are actually Stat Boosts. Not like the power-ups from Smash Tour like Chain Chomp.
Smash Tour has patches.

I call them patches because it's inspired from Kirby Air Ride: City Trial, and those stat ups were called patches so yeah.

That ain't an opinion.

That is a fact about yourself.

Anyway, I'm one of those people who aren't bothered by the number of FE characters. I don't know if it's unpopular around here, but eh, throwing it out there.

J & Siph said:
Everyone just needs to shut up about Waluigi. And those who don't need to be severely reprimanded by sane Waluigi fans.

Ditto.

Also, I think I'm the only one that thinks that I'll never use any of the newcomers introduced in the Direct. Nor am I that interested in them.

All the newcomers maybe except for maybe King K. Rool are pretty "eh" to me too.

J & Siph said:
Everyone just needs to shut up about Waluigi. And those who don't need to be severely reprimanded by sane Waluigi fans.
While it's useless to expect Sakurai to change this game, I don't see why people can't calmly and rationally request him for the next game or calmly and rationally express disappointment that he's not playable in this game. Obviously, any harassment needs to stop and those not-so-sane fans who take it way too far need to calm down, but saying everyone should just shut up about it isn't fair to the sane fans. The more people respectfully express disappointment that he's not in, the more likely it is that he'll be in a future game. After all, Ridley would've never gotten in if people hadn't been disappointed after past games. Perhaps you were only saying that the obnoxious complaining and harassment needs to stop, in which case I fully agree with you. But it sounded more like you were saying that even the sane fans shouldn't bring him up at all, which isn't in the spirit of things.

Can I just be upset that Rayman still isn't in even though he got a trophy and a stupid high-quality leak??

I will have to agree that the choice of newcomers are looking to be rather mild, and to me the most exciting addition is everyone's favourite character to lampoon: Daisy (I apologise for the assumption: it's just that there is a very huge support for this opinion so it's kind of empirical).

Currently there are only two new franchises represented: Splatoon and Castlevania, and although I love Splatoon their inclusion is rather safe and predictable even though I love how the Inklings utilise the various weapons in the original games for their move set. Castlevania I didn't watch their trailers but I am not that interested in the games even though they aren't that predictable. The others I understand is for the other fans that love those characters to be playable, but I guess they're just not my type and in a few ways, predictable. Basically what I would love to see playable should either be 1) from franchises that haven't been represented in Smash or 2) a relatively unpopular character even in an established universe.

Thank you for reading.

Some people are complaining about the number of Fire Emblem reps. I don't mind the number of reps.

The thing is, Mario is the most popular Nintendo franchise. It's normal for it to get that many reps.

Whereas, some series are underrepresented, like Zelda (outside of the amount of Links), Kirby and Donkey Kong, and then you have Fire Emblem with 7 reps. Not that I mind it, mind you, but that is why people complain about that.

But Pokemon actually has the most playable reps, if we count Squirtle, Ivysaur and Zard individually. And the series is even more represented with all the Pokeball Pokemon.

Ninja'd by Koops but w/e

That's because Mario is Nintendo's #1 series so it follows for it have a lot. The FE series is now on the level of Pokemon (if you count PKMN Trainer as one character instead of three) even though it's nowhere near as important as Pokemon. It also has more than Zelda despite that series being more important as well. Therefore, it's understandable that they'd complain about FE but not Mario. I don't mind it too much myself, though.

Brawl's story was just plain awful.

Oh wait, that's not unpopular.

I really liked Subspace, but I do agree it was a really generic adventure mode.

in other news:
This opinion isn't necessarily unpopular, it just wasn't asked for. But I wish the random character select was a bit more adjusted.
For example:
-You can change which characters are allowed to appear
-You can change what color each character can be
-Decide whether or not you want custom stats to be in play
-and all of these changes can be saved to a name (and with CPU's, you'll be given a small menu to adjust accordingly)

Small little changes that I'm sure no one asked for but I'm sure people would appreciate.

Lucario said:
The thing is, Mario is the most popular Nintendo franchise. It's normal for it to get that many reps.

Whereas, some series are underrepresented, like Zelda (outside of the amount of Links), Kirby and Donkey Kong, and then you have Fire Emblem with 7 reps. Not that I mind it, mind you, but that is why people complain about that.

But Pokemon actually has the most playable reps, if we count Squirtle, Ivysaur and Zard individually. And the series is even more represented with all the Pokeball Pokemon.
and none of those series have anything on the stages, which Mario beats handily

saltypepper said:
I really liked Subspace, but I do agree it was a really generic adventure mode.

in other news:
This opinion isn't necessarily unpopular, it just wasn't asked for. But I wish the random character select was a bit more adjusted.
For example:
-You can change which characters are allowed to appear
-You can change what color each character can be
-Decide whether or not you want custom stats to be in play
-and all of these changes can be saved to a name (and with CPU's, you'll be given a small menu to adjust accordingly)

Small little changes that I'm sure no one asked for but I'm sure people would appreciate.
why even have a random button

why not make it like Melee where you can select an empty space and it'll randomly select a character for you, and so you can change the character's parameters after?

"why not make it like Melee where you can select an empty space and it'll randomly select a character for you, and so you can change the character's parameters after?"
that's actually not a bad idea, but i do like not being able to see which fighter you will get until you're in the fight

how about you get someone else to pick a random character and change parameters, and the screen is on mute, and you blindfold yourself? :)

I think Mario Party deserves more representation in Smash. That series is popular, and for that amount of popularity, it never got a stage, character representation and its choice of music tracks is severely lacking. I guess Mario Party is largely ignored by the crowd that plays Smash regularly since one is a very casual game while the other is usually taken over by the more hardcore players (much like how Mario is popular but there is a surprisingly sparse online community for Mario), but that series is iconic to party games, and much like Mario Kart, it managed to influence other properties to have party games such as Pac-man, Mickey Mouse and even Sonic.

Note that there are less popular Mario spin-offs that got well-represented in Smash Bros., including Paper Mario, Mario Sports (not as much as the other two, but still better than Mario Party) and even Dr. Mario. If Mario Kart, a more popular Mario spin-off, get its representation due, then Mario Party should too.

Thank you for reading.

C'mon, Mario Party 9 minigame compilations are the most viewed Mario-related videos on Youtube. SO. That means Mario Party should be repped to death in Smash. I want a Mario Party stage goddammit. Smash Tour is NOT what I wanted.

Back