Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

I love Luigi has his own frsnchise:

Mario is Missing (Proto-Luigi's Mansion)
Luigi's Mansion
Luigi's Mansion 2
Luigi's Mansion 3

I hope he keeps getting his own games.

I also hope Wario Land returns, and that there is more Yoshi games.

Looking at the comic book pitches, I am more interested in the direction of what Fleetway would do with Mario, and generally disinterested in what Archie Comics would do to Mario. Certainly, Archie Comics was having some troubles around that time, but that's not related to why I consider a much older comic pitch the more interesting one. The reason is simply that Fleetway's pitch includes different characters for the Mario series. Seeing Donkey Kong (or is it Jr.?) is more reassuring that they would do some wild creative scenarios with the series AND include unexpected characters, which happens to be what makes Valiant's Mario comics fun.

CS2VWPqWUAEoSsS

Archie Comics' pitch may have a similar standard look of the games, but the bog standard scenario makes it the less interesting pitch.
pzNAuRxE_0501152020331.jpg

Thank you for reading.

I have a hatred for Bowser Jr.
Diddy Kong should have been in MK8 instead of Baby Rosalina (the living embodiment of a filler character.)
Luigi's great. He's amazing, but he's a tad overrated.

not sure how unpopular these are, but I'll let you fellas decide.

I have a hatred for Bowser Jr.

I'd say this is not all that unpopular of an opinion. I was kind of surprised when I came here and saw how many people want to punt him.
I'm all for Bowser Jr. rights, personally. He's a really cool character, and a great kid character at that. Media sees fit to smooth kids out, but in reality him being a brat makes so much sense.

Diddy Kong should have been in MK8 instead of Baby Rosalina (the living embodiment of a filler character.)

Think this one's not that unpopular either. Sometimes I feel like one of the only ones who doesn't mind Baby Rosalina's inclusion, lol.

Luigi's great. He's amazing, but he's a tad overrated.

Again, not unpopular, but also something I disagree with. Luigi is rated pretty fairly for the character he is. Some Luigi fans have some bad takes, but his popularity itself feels like it's well-earned.

The Mario anime movie is not very good. Like it's better than the live action one but only just in that it's not terrible and more just meh and kinda boring.

But it has cup ramen coming out of a ? Block

The Mario anime movie is not very good. Like it's better than the live action one but only just in that it's not terrible and more just meh and kinda boring.
It was based for not trying to make Mario and Peach have a romantic ending. I don't really care about that prince guy but hey, at least it's not that overrated pairing. I have no further opinions on it.

I don't prefer the art style of Color Splash and Origami King over that of TTYD and SPM, or even SS (to a lesser degree). That seems to be the one thing even many die-hard fans of the first three games disagree with me on. I just love the more cartoony and bouncy look over the stop-motion crafted one. I don't think taking the paper aesthetic as far as it has was necessary taking the PM series into HD. If anything it makes the world feel more artificial to me, rather than organic. My ideal Paper Mario aesthetic would look like Sticker Star's 2010 prototype, but with smooth animations & the texture quality of the TTYD HD texture pack.

i have to say theres something about the archie's comic artstyle that just rubs me the wrong way. it feels, stiff, generic, and deviantartish. i especially have a problem with luigi's proportions, he looks so marioish?? i think its mainly the head shape being not long enough. comparing it to super mario adventures kinda shows what im talking about

1651065410020.png

i will say though i perfer how archie went with a less chibi mario and luigi in body proportions but yeah im not a fan.

i have to say theres something about the archie's comic artstyle that just rubs me the wrong way. it feels, stiff, generic, and deviantartish. i especially have a problem with luigi's proportions, he looks so marioish?? i think its mainly the head shape being not long enough. comparing it to super mario adventures kinda shows what im talking about

Well, I'll say this: even though there's no dialouge, it showcases the Bros' personalities perfectly: Luigi is the more calculated one who avoids conflict, while Mario is is boisterous challenge-seeker.

Well, I'll say this: even though there's no dialouge, it showcases the Bros' personalities perfectly: Luigi is the more calculated one who avoids conflict, while Mario is is boisterous challenge-seeker.

i beg to differ as thats a very basic overview of the bros. the comic literally has the basic ass plot of mario and luigi gotta go on another adventure, luigi give mario ideas/try to talk him out of it but mario dont listen because mario love adventure wahoo, then the climax where luigi is just done with mario being all like "no one listen to me waaa" and go cry in a lil tiny baby corner instead of i dunno, ACTING LIKE AN ADULT because we need plot :D, then with the final fight mario realizes he needs his bro and luigi magically reappears because brotherly love or something and then they win and reconsile and shit idc IM TIRED OF THIS PLOT GOD

the "no one cares about luigi" plot is so beaten to death there isnt even a corpse anymore. and the fact this comic was pitched around 2013 makes it even more dead, the year of goddamn luigi was going on. im not gonna be like "but its archie its great this shoulda been made" when all it uses is basic plots and basic art to tell a story we've heard time and time again in mario. hell this plot was even ANIMATED in an "educational" mario anime from the 90s. archie literally coulda done SOOO much more and im seriously disappointed in this pilot. i understand that maybe they had to tone it down because of the era that nintendo was at but then again mario kun made two issues during the year combining ideas from mario 3d land, mario bros u, dream team, and dark moon. mario-kun fucking eats archie mario for breakfast.

im much more happy to support a comic series like mario-kun, which did get its first western release (as a compliation and not a full series translation sadly) but i hope this means the full series is destined to come here.

the comic literally has the basic ass plot of mario and luigi gotta go on another adventure, luigi give mario ideas/try to talk him out of it but mario dont listen because mario love adventure wahoo, then the climax where luigi is just done with mario being all like "no one listen to me waaa" and go cry in a lil tiny baby corner instead of i dunno, ACTING LIKE AN ADULT because we need plot :D, then with the final fight mario realizes he needs his bro and luigi magically reappears because brotherly love or something and then they win and reconsile and shit idc IM TIRED OF THIS PLOT GOD
I'm not really seeing how a mere planned summary of a series can invoke any strong opinion like that. Does it establish personality that people would agree is attributable to these men, something we've seen dime a dozen because it fits them? Does it seem really cookie cutter of a plot? Yeah. But to draw conclusions that the comic wouldn't be very good anyway and inferior to the existing ones is a bit much and is really sour grapes.

Super Mario-kun HAS done an entire chapter where no one cares about Luigi btw, where Luigi tries to show off but no one pays attention. There are literal Goombas/Paragoombas (?) that just meander past him, first mistakening him for Mario and they literally go "ah let it be, it's just Luigi, carry on". Luigi then dresses himself as a bug and yells "I'M NOT A COCKROACH" with a narrator telling him to take off that outfit then...

I'm not really seeing how a mere summary of a series. Does it establish personality that people would agree is attributable to these men, something we've seen dime a dozen because it fits them? Yeah. But to draw conclusions that the comic wouldn't be very good anyway is a bit much and is really sour grapes.

having read the official summary on the wiki, i doubt much is left for the imagination, it sounds like a very bland basic mario plot. i do tend to exaggerate my opinions so im sorry if i offend, i am genuinely tired of so called "luigi abuse" though.

Super Mario-kun HAS done an entire chapter where no one cares about Luigi btw, where Luigi tries to show off but no one pays attention. There are literal Goombas/Paragoombas (?) that just meander past him, first mistakening him for Mario and they literally go "ah let it be, it's just Luigi, carry on". Luigi then dresses himself as a bug and yells "I'M NOT A COCKROACH" with a narrator telling him to take off that outfit then...

but the way mario kun does it very, self parody like. mario in the comic series is shown to be quite mean to his brother its to the point its comical and feels very unserious. tbh i hope i dont sound like im holding kun in like this golden glory status (that's for super mario adventures) but the example you used has a much different context than archies. archie used it for serious plot development, kun didn't (i dont think kun ever takes anything seriously).

i would compare archie mario to super mario adventures but i think i would have too much personal bias on the subject.

I think part of what made Sonic comics more exciting by comparison is that while it might have a basic outline of plot (Sonic stops Eggman's domination plans), there is enough character in the main character as well as his supporting cast to make it feel worthwhile. Moreover, some of the comics did some cool stuff, like treating Sonic, Tails, and Amy as a trio in IDW, which is different from the Sonic+Tails+Knuckles team that's common in games.

I do think that if Mario were to decide on a new comic, it could also do something that relates to the games, but something new. For example, I would welcome the extra main characters to be more active in this new series because the main series (plus RPGs) typically only used the primary Mario characters (including Yoshi, to a lesser extent).

Thank you for reading.

i beg to differ as thats a very basic overview of the bros. the comic literally has the basic ass plot of mario and luigi gotta go on another adventure, luigi give mario ideas/try to talk him out of it but mario dont listen because mario love adventure wahoo, then the climax where luigi is just done with mario being all like "no one listen to me waaa" and go cry in a lil tiny baby corner instead of i dunno, ACTING LIKE AN ADULT because we need plot :D, then with the final fight mario realizes he needs his bro and luigi magically reappears because brotherly love or something and then they win and reconsile and shit idc IM TIRED OF THIS PLOT GOD

the "no one cares about luigi" plot is so beaten to death there isnt even a corpse anymore. and the fact this comic was pitched around 2013 makes it even more dead, the year of goddamn luigi was going on. im not gonna be like "but its archie its great this shoulda been made" when all it uses is basic plots and basic art to tell a story we've heard time and time again in mario. hell this plot was even ANIMATED in an "educational" mario anime from the 90s. archie literally coulda done SOOO much more and im seriously disappointed in this pilot. i understand that maybe they had to tone it down because of the era that nintendo was at but then again mario kun made two issues during the year combining ideas from mario 3d land, mario bros u, dream team, and dark moon. mario-kun fucking eats archie mario for breakfast.

im much more happy to support a comic series like mario-kun, which did get its first western release (as a compliation and not a full series translation sadly) but i hope this means the full series is destined to come here.

I don't want to be that guy but you are over analyzing what is essentially little more than concept art.

I think Professor Toad is the best partner in TOK. He's the only one to have an overworld ability, and he's pretty useful in battle as well. Bobby could only attack a single enemy, and half the time he'd fail at that. But Professor Toad actually helped me out a few times when I didn't kill every enemy, and saved me from having to solve another ring puzzle.

I think Professor Toad is the best partner in TOK. He's the only one to have an overworld ability, and he's pretty useful in battle as well. Bobby could only attack a single enemy, and half the time he'd fail at that. But Professor Toad actually helped me out a few times when I didn't kill every enemy, and saved me from having to solve another ring puzzle.
Professor Toad is probably the best battle-wise, and him throwing 100-coins dealing massive damage is a lot of fun, but I think that Bobby was more compelling for the story, and Kamek is maybe even at the best he's ever been written in Mario in Origami King.

I really think Galaxy is the only game in the series where some levels make me balk so hard and leave such a rancid taste in my mouth I don't feel like playing again even though I want to get a second opinion after all these years. Galaxy 2 I just don't want to play again lol.

You never played Galaxy 2, you were just my player 2.

I really think Galaxy is the only game in the series where some levels make me balk so hard and leave such a rancid taste in my mouth I don't feel like playing again even though I want to get a second opinion after all these years. Galaxy 2 I just don't want to play again lol.
I relate with this so much. When I was playing it for the first time some levels just drained me. It's so sad though because the game is fun sometimes but ugh. I also heard the horror stories of 100% so I just played like the minimal amounts of levels I had to.

I've been interested in Galaxy 2 though, I've heard how the levels in that game are much better. I know that people say it's like Mario Galaxy minus the "soul" or whatever but I don't really care about that. Honestly, I didn't really care about the whole Rosalina backstory thing in the first game.

If I had to rank SM64, Sunshine, and Galaxy I ranked them like this best to least good

SM64>Sunshine>Galaxy

Galaxy 2's levels weren't what my sister and I were looking for. Galaxy 2 was generally a forgettable romp and it was stuffed with hallways and 2D segments. I don't see how its level design is "better" when it's otherwise such a rehash of the first one.

Back