Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

I do like New Super Mario Bros. 2. It is a strangely satisfying game, with all the coin thing going around, it's pretty serviceable as far as a New Super Mario Bros. game go, and it can be funny even for a novice. Actually, I like the whole New Super Mario Bros. series: they're good games, with a catchy soundtrack, well designed and well rounded stages, and a great lighthearted approach to the whole Super Mario concept. Ironically, my least favourite game of the series is the first one, which is actually the most loved one by fans. I would have loved it had it looked as a slighty tweaked beta version (I mean, look at the awesome night time city background below - I have a soft spot for night time stages, don't know why), but the final product looks a bit... empty, random and dull, at least if compared to the later entries of the series. Still a good game tho.

NSMB_Pre-E3_2004_1.jpg

When just casually playing the game, I prefer Mario Sunshine. But when 100 percenting the game, I prefer Mario 64.

I liked NSMB on the DS and Wii, but the Wii U and 3DS ones felt unnecessary, although they both are fine games.

I don't like mario sunshine because i don't like my mario characters talking like real people.
Its ok when mario says things like 'Mama mia' or ' WOOHOO i got it' or when Peach says things like 'I'm the winner' or something but that's different than the way they talk in sunshine.

I don't like mario sunshine because i don't like my mario characters talking like real people.
Its ok when mario says things like 'Mama mia' or ' WOOHOO i got it' or when Peach says things like 'I'm the winner' or something but that's different than the way they talk in sunshine.
I get your complain. I mean, Bowser went from *angry roaring sound* to a full voice acting in the span of one game. I believe games like Odyssey nailed perfectly how a character is supposed to talk by giving him both funny noises and fully - yet only transcribed - speeches.

I believe games like Odyssey nailed perfectly how a character is supposed to talk by giving him both funny noises and fully - yet only transcribed - speeches.
That's nice, i don't like Odyssey either because i don't like goofy things like Bowser in a wedding suit or Mario in a wedding suit or the other suits he wears.

That's nice, i don't like Odyssey either because i don't like goofy things like Bowser in a wedding suit or Mario in a wedding suit or the other suits he wears.

Well I don't exactly like Odyssey either for a few reasons, but I admit having Bowser in a wedding suit was an unnecessary yet goofy touch!

On that regard, talking about unpopular opinions, I'm not fond of the huge amount of Moons in Odyssey. It adds a lot of replay value to the stages, and I appreciate that, but some of them feel just very random and are way too easy to get.

I can understand not liking the goofy cutscenes but there's just so much more to the game than that. In terms of gameplay, FLUDD provides a lot more interesting and fun movement than Mario's moveset in 64 which is pretty basic honestly. (I know there's a lot of interesting glitchy movement you can do in 64, but I never really got into that) I also feel like the missions in Sunshine are generally more creative and interesting than 64's. Finally, it feels like an actual living, breathing interconnected world, which I'd argue is something that none of the 3D platformers ever managed to recapture, even Odyssey - the individual worlds are very well made but they don't feel all that connected. So that's why I think Sunshine is much better than 64.

How did you ever get into Mario? Honestly? Mario is by it's very nature goofy.

Ah yes, as early as SMB1, Bowser turns the Toads into bricks, Mario smashes the bricks unaware of what (or who) they truly are. A morbid dark fantasy indeed.

Ah yes, as early as SMB1, Bowser turns the Toads into bricks, Mario smashes the bricks unaware of what (or who) they truly are. A morbid dark fantasy indeed.
actually it's canon that only the blocks that have items in them were toads

How did you ever get into Mario? Honestly? Mario is by it's very nature goofy.
When i was 6 or so and i've never....in my whole life seen something so silly as him in different suits....like that....its different with....like....the penguin suit or tanooki suit or things like that but...
And Bowser too, i like my Bowser regular.

My favorite Bowsers are in the mario partys, super mario 64, mario super sluggers.

I like Color Splash.
I haven't played Sticker Star though.
I surely agree with this one. I mean, it surely lacks variety characters-wise (too many Toads and Shy Guys - Shy Guys are pretty cool tho) and has a... weird battle system but it has witty writings, looks very beautiful and colourful (I mean, it's called COLOR Splash duh), has a solid soundtrack and some interesting and funny missions (like, fighting a steak to cook it? Pretty brilliant if you ask me). It also gave the Koopalings unique battle themes and well-defined personalities so promps to it for that.

I like Yoshi's Island better than Super Mario World

is this unpopular? i don't think SMW holds up extraordinarily nowadays. it's not bad or even average, but it's not that great either and it's antiquated compared to the Nu Soup games, not counting the myriad of other 2D platforming games that have seen success in the past 10 years. i can't underplay its historical significance though.

Yoshi's Island on the other hand, with all the things I didn't like in it, was still great in 2020 when I last played it and continues to be one of my favourite platformers.

has a... weird battle system
Since I havent played Pm64 or TTYD or even watched many videos of it, I dont know what the old battle system was like. But color splash's battles arent nearly as out there as what i saw of OK
fighting a steak to cook it? Pretty brilliant if you ask me
That was one of the best parts of the game ngl, along w/ the smb3 level

Since I havent played Pm64 or TTYD or even watched many videos of it, I dont know what the old battle system was like. But color splash's battles arent nearly as out there as what i saw of OK

That was one of the best parts of the game ngl, along w/ the smb3 level
I haven't played it but yeah, Origami King's battle system looks really weird. The issue I've heard about Color Splash's battle system is that compared to previous Paper Mario games it takes way too much time and effort to do what used to be simple moves thanks to the GamePad and card painting gimmicks.

Back