Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

A little too harsh on SPM tbh but I do agree that SPM is the weakest Paper Mario by far and Sticker Star is a genuinely great game.

What I genuinely liked about Sticker Star was the exploration aspect. I think they nailed it on that one, especially in the first jungle level and Chomp Ruins.
Yeah. Pretty much the only qualm I had with Sticker Star is that it had me going back for a strategy guide more times than pretty much any other game I've played.

I found it very enjoyable outside of that, though.

As someone who's currently playing Sticker Star, yes I agree

The levels are fun to run around in. I might even say it's way more fun than ttyd but I haven't played the entire game to judge

What's interesting is that Super Paper Mario according to Elimination records actually won KO a Character: Wii Games, especially since KO a Character is one of the harsher kinds of eliminations (one person wants you out and you lose). I guess it goes to show how strongly public sentiment changes over time considering how many people on the forum see SPM as the worst Paper Mario game now.

If I was active in that game, I would have KO'd it first lol.

Paper Mario Origami King is the only Paper Mario game with a serious storyline that didn't make me hate it.

Long time no see!

Here's one opinion I'm not sure how many will agree with, but I'm going to say it:

-King K. Rool>Bowser. As much as I like Bowser, I feel he's become a broken record when it comes to his sinister schemes. King K. Rool is in every way better. K. Rool performs different kinds of schemes in most of his roles, the way his minions behave can be funny (especially in Donkey Kong 64 when one Kritter was hanging onto a cable/wire/whatever that was, consistently calling for help), and K. Rool always has a different motive for his schemes.

if only k rool appeared more so that we could know about his character more. yea things like the dk cartoon kinda established a personality for him, but we know bowser way more than we know k rool.

i honestly kinda thought krool didnt have much personality of his own like hes basically just.. evil and crazy and has like no respect for his minions and likes disguises i guess? ive only played the first two dkcs though so id like to hear more on what his personality actuallt is, from someone more knowledgeable abouti t

K. Rool's personality was kind of ill-defined until Donkey Kong 64, and even then he shifts from being a parody of both Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget and Darth Vader from Star Wars at the beginning of the game to being more like Bowser at the end.

For the longest period of time, the most defined personality K. Rool ever had was in the cartoon, and I'm reasonably certain it was enough to influence PAON's two peg games and even Smash Ultimate. In the cartoon, K. Rool is DK's polar opposite; he's conniving, foppish and a dirty coward, with a penchant for being a drama queen. Naturally this isn't totally the case now that SmUsh is out, but up until SmUsh's release, this version of K. Rool was my personal favorite because of how much fun he is to watch and how well they managed to carve him into the perfect foil for DK.

being a parody of both Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget

You mean a parody of Ernst Stavro Blofeld from James Bond.

Sorry, pet peeve.

I haven't played the sequels to Sticker Star, however I've played every PM before it.
And I have to say, Sticker Star has my favorite battle system.
It's the closest I've ever felt to playing a Mario TCG.

And I hope the sequels bring me closer to that feeling.

NSMBWii is overrated
It's my favorite of the 2D platformers but out of all the 2D Mario platformers, and I like it more than Super Mario World or Super Mario Bros. 3 (two of the most acclaimed Mario platformers), I can't say it's the most highly rated of them. What makes this unpopular? Can you elaborate why you think people like it too much? People generally cite the chaotic multiplayer of not enjoying as much as they should. For instance, I really dislike the stomping-on-head gamplay; so obnoxious but at least you can save yourself with the bubble; Rayman Origins and Legends did it better since you just overlap each other and if you want to use someone else as a platform, either tilt up while you're still or just punch them up. Even so, the penalty for dying in multiplayer in Rayman isn't that serious compared to Mario (where you lose your powerup, you revert to normal form, and you lose a life), you just turn into a bubble and have to guide yourself to the surviving player.

The Mysterious Hotel Delfino was actually one of the best missions in the Super Mario Sunshine, at least in my opinion.
well on the other hand I'm actually not too hot on the FLUDD-less levels in that game, which people seem to universally like too.

I also thought I'd dismiss NSMBWii for being generic garbage the first time around. I ended up replaying it more than all the other 2d Marios.

If you think New Super Mario Bros. Wii is "generic" then I have no idea why you'd give a free pass to something like Super Mario Bros. 3, which doesn't have a proper multiplayer, has no star coins, much less alternate exits, has shorter levels, no wall-jumping, has better powerups, has better bosses, has a bigger variety of levels, and more.

The only things the other 2D Marios have are the solid Advance remakes especially Super Mario Advance: Super Mario Bros. 2 and especially that Mario Bros. side game they loved to put in every GBA Mario game barring Mario vs. Donkey Kong (which was sorely missing Mario Bros.).

honestly i dont even care that much for, like, any of the 2d marios lmao. ive been totally and absoltuely spoiled by dkc (which basically just took 2d mario and then made it so much better lmao) and rayman
i will aknowledge most of them were super duper important for the mario series but i just dont care to actually play them

i would honestly kill for a more platformer version of super mario run. if nintendo implemented the super mario run mechanics into nsmb, like the vault and the roll thingy. that would spice up the gameplay a notch

Back