Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

That reminds me of when I saw NSMBU being called "Super Mario Bros. (Wii U)". That was at a library on a list of games you could play on the Wii U that they had for some reason.

Mario Party references is something I would also like to see, because it's the longest-running party video game series (as in, having a board to travel and is themed around a party) yet it's apparently not popular enough for other people to reference.

Iron Man said:
To be honest, it is even more bothering to hear "Mario Bros", "Mario Bros 2" or "Mario Bros 3", because Mario Bros was that arcade game that was Luigi's debut.

It’s like people have no knowledge of what that game was and just every single game in the series "Mario Bros *something*".

Yeah, I can't say for sure if they didn't know there was a game called "Mario Bros", but it seems that Mario Bros is quite obscure even by Mario standards, even more so than Donkey Kong where Mario appears for the first time.

Thank you for reading.

Plague Knight said:
That reminds me of when I saw NSMBU being called "Super Mario Bros. (Wii U)". That was at a library on a list of games you could play on the Wii U that they had for some reason.
I think that bothers me more than all the other names everyone else in the thread is mentioning.

Princess Mario said:
hence unpopular opinion and the "nitpick" disclaimer

I'm just saying it irks me when people call the games like that and not "Super Mario Bros. 2" or even just "Mario Bros. 2" or "Super Mario 2".
kind of an odd nitpick when you regularly refer to the wii smash bros game as barlw

Oh yes, my opinions are plagued with inconsistencies.

Barlw sounds so funny though!

Bahr l

like the New Super Mario Bros. BAH but you end it with an llll

that's how I pronounce it anyway

Without the W, then it wouldn't be an anagram of Super Smash Bros. Barlw I mean Brawl, right?

Time to unload...

-Toad is not as terrible as everyone says (although I'd prefer if they stopped using him to replace Toadsworth).

-Mario Golf: World Tour is underrated.

-Mario Tennis Open is underrated.

-Mario & Luigi: Dream Team is the most underrated game of all time and should get a 10 as opposed to a 6 or 7.

-Mario Party 8 is also very underrated and doesn't deserve the hate it gets in any way.

-I liked Mega Battles in Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash.

-Graphics do not impact my enjoyment of a game (unless it's so blurry I can't make anything out).

-The Switch is not a proper successor to the 3DS, and Nintendo should stop treating the 3DS like trash. The 3DS is not competition to the Switch and both consoles could thrive together.

Sunshine Yoshi said:
-Sonic Forces is underrated.
Why, is there a Mario mode I don't know about? :P

I like Mega Battles in Ultra Smash too. They feel more like a gimmick though. I do wish they returned just for the hell of it and maybe as a means for Toad and Mario players to bash Chain Chomps in the face.

I also like Toad. Don't know who this "everyone" is.

I like Mega Battles in Ultra Smash, because one time a point was scored on our side and Wario did the dancing animation when the UI showed up.

Toad is my brother's favorite character, and my third favorite character due to that. I also don't associate THE Toad with the ones in the 7 castles in the original Super Mario Bros.

I wish Dr. Mario didn't ditch the Cough/Cube and Sneeze/QueQue themes, because while they aren't as popular as Fever and Chill, they are still pleasant to listen to, especially QueQue. With that said, Drowzy and Dizzy are great themes. Dr. Mario should have all music intact, not cut them!

Thank you for reading.

I don't remember if I've made this opinion, but every Mario game besides Mario Kart should have the option to allow players to select the same character even if offline, especially Mario Party! Mario Party 10 is the only game where you can technically use the same character, that being in amiibo Party but it has some limitations, them being that only then-available amiibo get to do this (which means that Waluigi, Daisy, Toadette and Spike can't have this be done on them), and the fact that you have to have that amiibo to do it.

Thank you for reading.

For one thing, since playability > content, MK8 > MK8DX. And by extension, Wii U ports to Switch are generally inferior to the original versions. Captain Toad is a prime example. Not only did it remove touch precision and second screen (because hardware limitations), but they removed all references to Mario 3D World, the foundation of the game. This is why I have no intention to get this on Switch. Also, DKC Tropical Freeze has a New Funky Mode that (as cool as it looks) isn't worth buying the same game again for three times the price. Breath of the Wild is the only Wii U port that actually compares to the original version.

I'd say it's more just as game that was released on two consoles than count it as "port". There is absolutely no difference beside the gamepad. Twilight Princess had that too, it was released on the GameCube and Wii at the same time. Granted, now both of these cases

That being said, the reason Nintendo is going all out on ports is because, again, only 13 million people ever got a Wii U, which is not a lot of people, so they port their bigger successes to the next consoles to hopefully get benefit if the Switch does better. (And it does)

You know, while I entirely disagree on your opinions about the Switch, I really like how you are not afraid to show how bad you think it is.

Sunshine Yoshi said:
For one thing, since playability > content, MK8 > MK8DX.

...what on earth does this mean? Playability? The gameplay itself is all essentially the same between both versions.

Sunshine Yoshi said:
And by extension, Wii U ports to Switch are generally inferior to the original versions.

i am aware that you have an enomorous hatred for the switch while idolising what came before it (3ds in particular, but also evidently the wii u) but please do not make such sweeping generalisations, especially when they're simply flat out wrong.

lets look at a list of what first-party games have been ported so far:
Zelda: Breath of the Wild - both versions were released at once, so they were specifially designed to be exactly the same
Mario Kart 8 (DX) - all content from the original game AND its dlc, as well as an all-new battle mode and extra characters
Pokken Tournament (DX) - everything from both the wii u AND arcade versions, plus a couple of extras thrown in like a new character
Bayonetta 2 - essentially the same package as on wii u
Hyrule Warriors (Definitive Edition) - everything from wii u + it's dlc AND 3ds + it's dlc, and a few extras on top of even that
DKC: TF - literally everything from the original version, plus a new mode and character
Captain Toad - everything from the original game (including touch controls, contrary to what you stated) minus the levels taken out of super mario 3d world

as you can see, when you put each version side by side, each switch version is at least as good it's wii u predecessor, with the vast majority actually adding more to make it better. whether or not it's worthwhile to buy them again after owning a wii u or if there's enough new content to justify doubling dipping is up for debate, but to call them inferior is just silly

the only thing i haven't addressed up there is second-screen functionality. while it is true that the second screen was intended to be the main draw of the wii u, most of these games (and wii u games in general) don't actually use the feature that extensively. the most common usage of the second screen is just off-tv play which is literally just having what would be on the tv on a handheld screen. you know, that thing the switch does. the second most common use is for sub-menus/maps/etc, and while this isn't something that can be replicated on switch, it's also not something that breaks the games so much that they are permanently ruined. it just means you have to press the pause button before you can access those features.
of course, there are games that do utilise the second screen in actually meaningful ways, but none of those are in the list above (apart from arguably captain toad, but i'll get to that in a minute), they're all just submenus or some form of off-tv/screen mirroring. so while i will admit that the lack of second-screen is technically a removal and could be seen as inferior, in these cases the differences are so minor that complaining about it is just dumb.

as for your game specific points...

Sunshine Yoshi said:
Captain Toad is a prime example. Not only did it remove touch precision and second screen (because hardware limitations), but they removed all references to Mario 3D World, the foundation of the game. This is why I have no intention to get this on Switch.

hating on the captain toad port honestly seems a bit strange to me. like, it still has touch controls in handheld mode, and the alternative they came up with, while a bit fiddly, is still a perfectly good way to play the game (in fact, i've found this is even easier to use in tandem with moving than the original touch controls were). also you're again acting like removal of second screen is some huge sin, but both screens literally had the same display on them, and when you have levels with touch control stuff in them (or you just want to use it to stop enemies etc) it essentially means that you're forced to look at one screen anyway to use those, and its not even the hd screen. at least now on switch i can play it on the tv without worrying about that. sometimes a 'feature' being removed can actually serve to improve the overall experience
anyway, they 'removed all references to mario 3d world'? a bit of an exageration there, my friend. they removed 4 levels. 4 levels which were not initially designed to have captain toad playable in them, and were just copy pasted in from a separate game to add a little bonus. now theres some levels specifically designed for this game to replace them. could they have left them in? sure. but there wouldn't be much fun in that because the main fun of the levels is to say 'i remember this from smd3d' rather than interesting puzzles or gameplay, and on a console that doesn't have that game it just wouldn't make much sense to keep it.

Also, DKC Tropical Freeze has a New Funky Mode that (as cool as it looks) isn't worth buying the same game again for three times the price.

not a lot to say here except for the fact that, as i said before, stuff like whether it's worth buying again or the price or stuff like that doesn't have any bearing on the quality of the game itself. in this case, it has more content, better graphics and improved loading times on switch so it's objectively a better version of the game.

anyway this ended up being a long-winded post but if i were to give a tl;dr or conclusion or something i guess it would be something like this:
it's ok to not like having to buy a game again if you already own it on one console and it's ok to come to your own conclusions about whether its worth buying something again, but those opinions have no bearing on the actual quality of the games in question

My personal unpopular opinions:

1. SMG2 is better than the original SMG
2. Hotel Mario actually had potential, it was just Nintendo’s lack of involvement that ruined it
3. WarioWare games are repetitive and boring
4. Tick Tock Clock has (one of) the best themes in Mario Kart history

The thing is, I'd support the Switch if it didn't have three major flaws: TV Mode is unresponsive, Handheld Mode is more gimmick than innovation, and the games are Port City. For me to truly support the Switch, Nintendo would need to (a) fix the Joy-Con in a system update, (b) improve handheld mode so games actually make use of it, and (c) make new games and stop porting from Wii U. Then I will support it.

Back