Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Smithy at least is a unique concept for a badguy that I haven't seen anywhere else.

Mcmadness said:
Smithy at least is a unique concept for a badguy that I haven't seen anywhere else.

The final form? Yeah I guess the shapeshifting mechanic was kind of cool, but other than that he doesn't have anything going on for him aside from being a furious guy.

What do you think's not unique about Dimentio aside from the personality?

Literally all of him.

The goofy psychotic magical jester thing that manipulates people is incredibly played out.

And I know what some of you might be thinking "well isn't most Mario stories played out?" to which I say, yes, but at least a good chunk of those knew not to play it so straight.

I mean for crying out loud the series was born as almost a parody of the knight rescuing the damsel trope since the titular knight is actually an Italian plumber.

I mean personality aside, where else is there someone like Dimentio for you? I've never seen any other magical jester things who can create dimensions anywhere else.

Kefka, Jester/Arkham, Dhoulmagus just to name a couple.

Hell magical jesters are even random enemies in super mario rpg.

Jester_RPG.jpg

Magical? All what they do is throw cards lol.

But I know almost nothing about RPGS aside from the Mario ones and a few others, so I guess I have to believe you.

I can't say too much for Smithy, since I barely know much about Super Mario RPG and barely remember the playthroughs I've watched (and never managed to watch all the way), but how much presence does Smithy have? I feel like people are more likely to recognize Exor for Smithy or mixup the two.

Mr. Saltman said:

But I know almost nothing about RPGS aside from the Mario ones and a few others, so I guess I have to believe you.
Can't speak for the others but I believe Kefka has a bit of magic at the start of the game.
He later gets the power of the Warring Triad and basically becomes a god. Check out his boss fight, it's one of the most trippy ones in the Final Fantasy series.

Mr. Saltman said:

They also use the spell flame stone.

ThatGuy62 said:
I can't say too much for Smithy, since I barely know much about Super Mario RPG and barely remember the playthroughs I've watched (and never managed to watch all the way), but how much presence does Smithy have? I feel like people are more likely to recognize Exor for Smithy or mixup the two.

He only appears at the end. He says 2-3 words, You fight him, he dies, then you win the game.

Exor appears for almost the whole game (but mostly because he's just there lol) so he's more recognizable I think.

Mcmadness said:
Mr. Saltman said:

They also use the spell flame stone.

Yeah but that's a minor thing, and just a single spell. You mostly remember them for their card attacks.

Mr. Saltman said:
ThatGuy62 said:

He only appears at the end. He says 2-3 words, You fight him, he dies, then you win the game.

Exor appears for almost the whole game (but mostly because he's just there lol) so he's more recognizable I think.

Yeah, that's probably it. The game basically builds up to getting back to Bowser's Castle and fighting Exor. You hear of Smithy, but don't actually see him until the end.
It's kinda like Sticker Star Bowser and Kamek actually.

Or as far as Nintendo games in general go, Giygas...

I mean let’s be real for a second people couldn’t seriously make speculations of what he looked like, and the result was more terrifying and surprising than "oh hey it’s this guy they were talking about for so long!"

Anyway, imagine a Mario Game where you do hear about the final boss multiple times throughout the game and even get glimpses of him, to discover in the final battle that he was actually another character in disguise. That really would raise the shock value. But as far as Paper Mario goes, I'm not so sure that’s possible anymore if they’re sticking with the current format.

Iron Man said:
Or as far as Nintendo games in general go, Giygas...

I mean let’s be real for a second people couldn’t seriously make speculations of what he looked like, and the result was more terrifying and surprising than "oh hey it’s this guy they were talking about for so long!"

Anyway, imagine a Mario Game where you do hear about the final boss multiple times throughout the game and even get glimpses of him, to discover in the final battle that he was actually another character in disguise. That really would raise the shock value. But as far as Paper Mario goes, I'm not so sure that’s possible anymore if they’re sticking with the current format.
Well Giygas was a double shock in Japan, considering that Giegue looked totally different, so the surprise was what happened to him between games. I think I read that, in Japan, Giegue's existence in the first Mother was, in itself, a plot twist.

That is pretty possible considering that Color Splash almost did something like that: The Black Paint is a sentient entity and concept art shows it had a tangible form (back when it controlled Bowser by forcing him to wear it like a cape). Even in the final game, Bowser is shown having no idea what's going on once the paint is knocked off of him.

I like FLUDD more than those platforming segments in Super Mario Sunshine

That underground theme needs to be stop getting used

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is ugly.

The Dream Team style is my favorite style of sprites

All 8-bit sprites are ugly

SM64 Mario is ugly

I like product placement in Mario games (as long as it's not excessive). The GLA needs to be in more games

Mario needs to stop having so much renders for himself and not share some of his time with Luigi

Nitpick: the soundtrack for the water levels in Super Mario 64 should be called "Jolly Roger Bay", not "Dire Dire Docks"

Nitpick: "Dark Side" of the Moon is a dumb name and yes, Pink Floyd, this also applies to anything else called "Dark Side of the moon".

Nitpick: Normies, stop calling "Super Mario Bros. 2" "Mario 2" and "Super Mario Bros. 3" "Mario 3". Call them by their proper full names. Or just call it "the Mario game where you throw turnips" and "the Mario game where Mario can become a racoon" if the numbers screw you up (as they've done to me in the far past).

The cartoon and edutainment games should be referenced in games, generally as a very minor cameo or a self-deprecating joke ("let's do hope that ranger we meet has a face for once", bootlegs of Bowser at a store resemble King Koopa, "Mama mia, Yoshi, I do hope that Apple you ate isn't the one Isaac Newton needs because I have an errand for him. Don't ask.")

Mario and Luigi need to wear more dresses

I'm really bothered by how many low-effort memes online use Paper Mario jumping artwork as if it were regular 2D Mario artwork. Almost feels like most non-official uses of that artwork are from people who don't even know what it's from.

I agree with that, they should either use any kind of mainstream Mario arc to represent that, even though 3D Mario doesn’t necessarily shrink when touching a Goomba... and yes, I am referring to this thing because I’ve seen it with Paper Mario artwork.

Tbh that just irks me.

Princess Mario said:
I like product placement in Mario games (as long as it's not excessive).
how would you feel if the bananas in donkey kong country were chiquita bananas similar to how the bananas in super monkey ball are dole

I used to think that the media didn't reference Super Mario enough, mainly because I've seen that The Simpsons and Futurama prefer to use Donkey Kong as a reference when it comes to Mario. Now I wish Mario as found in Donkey Kong is referenced more often in the media compared to Super Mario, since Mario's first appearance is not readily acknowledged by Nintendo, preferring to use Super Mario Bros. as the anniversary point, compared to the character himself. (The foetus and baby example for Mario's actual debut is still one of the strangest things I've read in this forums)

I wish Mario games uses British spelling for their English, at the very least for the titles. Not sure if the actual text in-game uses British English in Europe, but I won't be surprised if it did since English translations are handled differently between the US and Europe (probably since Mario Party 8 due to the word "spastic" having different meanings between regions).

Mario should return to his Donkey Kong style of platforming, because its limitation gives it a more puzzle-like approach. If you ask me, I have a few directions in which to go: set the entire game in Donkey Kong Country, make a 2.5D version of the game where Mario moves in 2D but the environments are in 3D (think of how Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze handles their platforming) or even have a remake of the Game Boy game with extra features.

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
Not sure if the actual text in-game uses British English in Europe, but I won't be surprised if it did since English translations are handled differently between the US and Europe (probably since Mario Party 8 due to the word "spastic" having different meanings between regions).
Yeah, it does, off the top of my head I know that Toad Harbour gets the U and I'm fairly sure the Toad in New Super Mario Bros. U said favourite. It comes with the different names for stuff that get really confusing when I'm on the wiki, like Alpine Pass and Rock Rock Mountain. I've probably made a bunch of links to the PAL name redirects by accident.

winstein said:
I used to think that the media didn't reference Super Mario enough, mainly because I've seen that The Simpsons and Futurama prefer to use Donkey Kong as a reference when it comes to Mario. Now I wish Mario as found in Donkey Kong is referenced more often in the media compared to Super Mario, since Mario's first appearance is not readily acknowledged by Nintendo, preferring to use Super Mario Bros. as the anniversary point, compared to the character himself. (The foetus and baby example for Mario's actual debut is still one of the strangest things I've read in this forums)

I wish Mario games uses British spelling for their English, at the very least for the titles. Not sure if the actual text in-game uses British English in Europe, but I won't be surprised if it did since English translations are handled differently between the US and Europe (probably since Mario Party 8 due to the word "spastic" having different meanings between regions).

Mario should return to his Donkey Kong style of platforming, because its limitation gives it a more puzzle-like approach. If you ask me, I have a few directions in which to go: set the entire game in Donkey Kong Country, make a 2.5D version of the game where Mario moves in 2D but the environments are in 3D (think of how Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze handles their platforming) or even have a remake of the Game Boy game with extra features.

Thank you for reading.
What they should do is make another Donkey Kong 98/Mario vs Donkey Kong GBA.

I want the media to reference the Mario sports and Mario Party more than either Donkey Kong or Super Mario Bros. or Mario Kart, which are referenced regularly IMO. I know Super Mario Bros. is flagship, but there's more to Mario than those.

Princess Mario said:
Nitpick: Normies, stop calling "Super Mario Bros. 2" "Mario 2" and "Super Mario Bros. 3" "Mario 3". Call them by their proper full names. Or just call it "the Mario game where you throw turnips" and "the Mario game where Mario can become a racoon" if the numbers screw you up (as they've done to me in the far past).
How can someone care about people saying that? It's much easier to just say "Mario 2" or "Mario 3", it's not like they're calling Mario 2 Mario World.

hence unpopular opinion and the "nitpick" disclaimer

I'm just saying it irks me when people call the games like that and not "Super Mario Bros. 2" or even just "Mario Bros. 2" or "Super Mario 2".

To be honest, it is even more bothering to hear "Mario Bros", "Mario Bros 2" or "Mario Bros 3", because Mario Bros was that arcade game that was Luigi's debut.

It’s like people have no knowledge of what that game was and just every single game in the series "Mario Bros *something*".

Back