Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Mcmadness said:
Well of course it's not disappointing to somebody who hasn't played the original.
Then remember this, everyone who has yet to play a Yoshi's Island game: begin with YNI and it won’t disappoint. Begin with another game, and...

Or just play yoshi's island and never touch new island as YI is still better.

Propeller Knight said:
Pretty much all of those except for the one above are actually quite popular opinions.
Fair, especially the Luigi > Mario one, but I have heard a lot of people say that a) MG2 is better than MG and b) MK8D is a waste of money. I actually believed b) until I played the battle mode, and here's another unpopular opinion:
Battle Mode is the best Mario Kart mode.

Roller said:
Bowser is a tired villain
Luigi > Mario

I agree that Bowser is a villain that could take a rest, but I am sure a few folks would greatly disagree with that. In fact, Mario & Luigi is a series in great need of a villain and final boss that excludes Bowser, since every final boss has always have Bowser's involvement.

I know others have already commented on this, but I want to show that if there were to be a poll between Mario and Luigi, you can see that Luigi is greatly more popular than Mario. It would thus be a more unpopular opinion for one to say that they like Mario over Luigi. Link: https://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=39261.msg1974128

YFJ said:
Super Mario Sunshine's voice acting was actually pretty good, but if the game is remade you should be able to switch the voice acting on or off.

I agree with this. It might not be considered the best since the characters have rather exaggerated voices, so does not lend well to voicing full sentences, but I liked that they provide some voice acting to lighten up the mood. If I would like to provide my unpopular opinion on this, Bowser's portrayal is the best in this game, as opposed to the others which are just roaring. Even Bowser Jr's voice is consistent.

Thank you for reading.

Roller said:
Fair, especially the Luigi > Mario one, but I have heard a lot of people say that a) MG2 is better than MG and b) MK8D is a waste of money. I actually believed b) until I played the battle mode, and here's another unpopular opinion:
Battle Mode is the best Mario Kart mode.
I also heard a lot of people say Galaxy 2 is better than Galaxy 1, which I disagree, and as far as I know, quite a few on the forum also have my stance.

I don't think Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a waste of money, but I think it's overpriced for what it is. I think it's a great standalone game and its battle mode is completely reworked to be better, but not amazing (the sliding braking thing is obnoxious and annoying; the character icons on the minimap take up way too much space; renegade roundup is very meh).

I definitely agree about Battle Mode. It's annoying what they did to it in Mario Kart 8 though. Battle Mode was great in 7. It's Mario Kart Wii's but better, essentially, aside from the obnoxious Lucky 7. If only it had more arenas and a way to choose which opponents show up...

Princess Mario said:
the character icons on the minimap take up way too much space; renegade roundup is very meh).

them taking up too much space isn't the biggest issue. it's that they're not semi-transparent like they are in mario kart wii that i have an issue with.

winstein said:
I know others have already commented on this, but I want to show that if there were to be a poll between Mario and Luigi, you can see that Luigi is greatly more popular than Mario. It would thus be a more unpopular opinion for one to say that they like Mario over Luigi. Link: https://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=39261.msg1974128

No offense whatsoever, but I feel 17 people is quite a small sample size. I'm sure if you considered all the little kids who play Mario, Mario would have an edge up on Luigi.
But regardless, Toad is the best playable character so ;D

Roller said:
winstein said:

No offense whatsoever, but I feel 17 people is quite a small sample size. I'm sure if you considered all the little kids who play Mario, Mario would have an edge up on Luigi.
But regardless, Toad is the best playable character so ;D

Don't get me wrong, I know it's small because my topics tend to attract few people (not to mention how my topics are not that sensational) but I can see that people in this forums are more inclined to Luigi as opposed to Mario. I can see that a Twitter poll will also trend towards Luigi, but I am not the right person to make it since I am not all that popular.

Thank you for reading.

Dimentio is a terrible villain.

I dunno, I'd call Dimentio well done enough as a "minion behind the boss" character. I'd call Bleck worse for how awkward his (and the rest of Bleck's posse besides Dimentio) redemption arc was and how under-explored him apparently being a separate persona from Blumaire that was channeling the Dark Prognosticus's desire to destroy the universe was.

Since we're on SPM, I bluntly claim that for all its flaws, Color Splash was closer to the spirit of the first two PMs. SPM in many ways just comes off as a random game with Mario characters shoved into it.

Qayin said:
I dunno, I'd call Dimentio well done enough as a "minion behind the boss" character.

He only got anywhere because everyone in that game is a moron.

Dimentio is pretty much Kefka, except Kefka kept god-like power long enough to raze the world and he isn't an easy/goofy boss.

How many times does stories have "herp a derp the most eccentric guy is the most evil guy all along"-type villain?

Russian Baby Luigi said:
How many times does stories have "herp a derp the most eccentric guy is the most evil guy all along"-type villain?

Too many times to count.

If you guys think Dimentio is the crappiest Mario bad guy you should go take a look at Smithy first.

I'm not super-hyper-mega-ultra-obsessed with Dimentio like some other people, but I don't think he's garbage.

I still think Sticker Star's version of Bowser is the worst villain in the Mario RPGs. Vanishes after a very brief underwhelming intro, then no presence until the end, only mentioned by other characters and when he finally does appear he's just a generic roaring monster that never utters a word even after he's defeated. Dimentio provided some parallels with M&L's Fawful in his dialogue and had a plan that is slowly made apparent throughout the game. I'd vastly prefer that to "bad guy is bad, he'll try to kill you at the end kill him first" in an RPG series, especially this one that I only got into mainly because of the characters and plots.

I can't comment on what Dimentio's apparently a ripoff of, but there's a lot of things that reuse ideas and that's not inherently a bad thing (TV Tropes is full of examples of recurring tropes in media). These things are common because they work, and in SPM's case it applied these things in a universe where you wouldn't expect it to great effect.

Fawful with a Monster in Peach's Castle said:
I still think Sticker Star's version of Bowser is the worst villain in the Mario RPGs. Vanishes after a very brief underwhelming intro, then no presence until the end, only mentioned by other characters and when he finally does appear he's just a generic roaring monster that never utters a word even after he's defeated. Dimentio provided some parallels with M&L's Fawful in his dialogue and had a plan that is slowly made apparent throughout the game. I'd vastly prefer that to "bad guy is bad, he'll try to kill you at the end kill him first" in an RPG series, especially this one that I only got into mainly because of the characters and plots.

I can't comment on what Dimentio's apparently a ripoff of, but there's a lot of things that reuse ideas and that's not inherently a bad thing (TV Tropes is full of examples of recurring tropes in media). These things are common because they work, and in SPM's case it applied these things in a universe where you wouldn't expect it to great effect.
Well, to be fair, Bowser had literally no dialogue (probably due to Tanabe misunderstanding what Miyamoto meant).
The problem with Sticker Star Bowser is that he's implied to have been driven insane by the Royal Stickers... but it's Tell, Not Show. Bowser doesn't really act all that much different, neither Junior nor Kamek notice any difference in his behavior and overall the bosses get the point across much better than Bowser himself does. He even tries to touch the comet again in the end, showing that he was in control of his actions to some degree.
Even the whole "feeling his presence through the environment/enemies" thing falls flat since Kamek and Megasparkle Goomba are the only ones that do it effectively: We have no indication that Bowser influenced the bosses, you can remove Bowser Jr. from the game and lose nothing, overall it's very messy (not helped by Sticker Star being more non-linear and having a much looser plot).
Long story short: The Black Paint from Color Splash is basically a more malevolent and fleshed out version of what Sticker Star was trying to shoot for. And Bowser peaked Paper Mario-wise in the first game (second for the writing)

As for Dimentio, his character archetype isn't really original. The Kirby series kinda did it with Marx but Kefka is the example that comes directly to mind if I were to make a comparison. I think that second bit especially hurts him since I can't recall a Mario RPG villain being that much of a dead ringer for another video game villain.

You'd have to be pretty genre blind not to see what they were going to do with Dimentio.

And had they actually played that for laughs and not a big "OMG I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING" moment I probably wouldn't even care.

As a result when it happened it felt more like this.

Mcmadness said:
You'd have to be pretty genre blind not to see what they were going to do with Dimentio.

And had they actually played that for laughs and not a big "OMG I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING" moment I probably wouldn't even care.

As a result when it happened it felt more like this.

To give credit, when the game did actual subtle foreshadowing, it was actually pretty clever (like the way Peach is "flipped" out of Castle Bleck; It's the same effect as Dimentio's).
Also, as someone who played Pokemon X, that video is 100% accurate.

To me, I'd prefer a straightforward villain than a villain that pretends to be deep and sophisticated when he's really not.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
To me, I'd prefer a straightforward villain than a villain that pretends to be deep and sophisticated when he's really not.

Are you talking to me about Smithy or to FTG about Sticker Star Bowser?

Smithy is...bland.

Like, my favorite villains are the Shroobs, though it could be my bias tinting it. A lot. Bowser is also my favorite villain in Mario Party, mostly because he knows he's an asshole and he loves it.

ThatGuy62 said:
To give credit, when the game did actual subtle foreshadowing, it was actually pretty clever (like the way Peach is "flipped" out of Castle Bleck; It's the same effect as Dimentio's).
Also, as someone who played Pokemon X, that video is 100% accurate.

One small moment doesn't really negate that they basically spelled it out for you.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Smithy is...bland.

Like, my favorite villains are the Shroobs, though it could be my bias tinting it. A lot. Bowser is also my favorite villain in Mario Party, mostly because he knows he's an *bleep* and he loves it.

Yeah I said I think Smithy is the crappiest, or at least worse than Dimentio, because he appears in the game for like 2 seconds and doesn't say anything memorable.

Back