I just beat __

Ray Trace

You Can Tick Off Birds If You Follow My Advice
This game IS better than both Spm AND the original... objectively
You know, heads up, if you want to write a review, just avoid using "objectively" entirely, since reviews are going to be inherently subjective and all it does is weaken your writing. You already wrote out a pretty detailed backing up before that that's reasonable and well-written out even if it's an unpopular opinion, so no need to state that as a fact. :)

Koops

Koops, King of Cowards.
Well by objectively it's more that I meant that, personal bias aside, the game DOES perform better in a lot of areas and shouldn't be discredited, but it just isn't my cup of tea and this is pretty much where I say that by no means is the game terrible or even bad. I just wanted to make that clear.

Buuuuut I will take your advice, gladly.

Cackletta's Soul

"You're a persistent pair!"
Well by objectively it's more that I meant that, personal bias aside, the game DOES perform better in a lot of areas and shouldn't be discredited, but it just isn't my cup of tea and this is pretty much where I say that by no means is the game terrible or even bad. I just wanted to make that clear.

Buuuuut I will take your advice, gladly.
yeah i do that too, but i just say "nonpersonal" instead

Ray Trace

Eh Quake Wisps are easily countered by saving your All-Stars until they spawn.

Sneaker

HELLO!!
Paper Mario Sticker Star.

Hoo boy! Took me three attempts against Bowser. On the 2nd try I noticed Whomp wobbled from a hammer that I messed up on, I figured it out, Whomp also had me think about Thing stickers on the next phases too. And I tells ya, that was one good boss fight.

I gave myself a decent but not excellent hand of stickers. Organized by tiers.
Pg1: Regulars to throw away on Kamek.
Pg2: Shinies
Pg3: Flashies
Pg4: Bigs
Pg5: Megas
Pg6: Small Things
Pg7: Big Things
Pg8: Mega Things
Also one Flashy Mushroom on each page.

On the final phase, I ran out of stickers! That fire breath, mannn. It was anyones game, with Mario at 14hp and Bowser at 2hp, and Mario with one Flashy Hammer left (because we learned survived and knocked Bowsers HP down by blocking his attacks which in turn gave us flashy stickers).
We luckily did not screw up the attack, and won! 100%'d the game!. Yup all 5 Luigi's, the Museum, and the flags.
Good game, plays like a TCG, I like that direction they're taking.
According to the parade end credits, Mario revived not just Kirsti, but Kamek too. What a guy.

NocturnalDragoon

Dry Bowser
A Hat In Time (Nintendo Switch)

Main story clear. but will continue playing to collect the remaining time pieces that I've missed. Currently have twenty-six out of the total forty present in the base game... also I have both DLC packs so I guess I'll be doing them as well.

Update: 40/40 base game Time Pieces acquired, 71% completion according to save file select screen. Will be hunting remaining treasures and of course the DLC next.

Last edited:

ZelenPixel

zelen the actual spore creature
beat mario + rabbids! took around 25 hrs. the last few fights absoultely KICKED my ass but it was still great! never played any strategy game like this but it turned out WAY more fun than i expected and its so charming like omg??? the music is so GOOD and the animations are also so GOOD and like. Bro
weird how like. you know how super paper mario had the void in the background, in the sky at all times? mario + rabbids tries to do the same thing with the megabug void thing but it only pops up during. one cutscene per world and whenevr you actually get to see the sky otherwise theres nothing wrong with it.. whats up with that??
ill def be playing more in the postgame to see if i can 100% it. its too fun man you cant blame me. will prob get the dk dlc later on as well! funny when i get to it rabbid peach will just remain the only party member thats been in every single one of my battles because yea (i like the her as a character a lot and her healing abilities are a godsend)
holy HELL this was rambly but basically. god i love this game play it

Ray Trace

beat mario + rabbids! took around 25 hrs. the last few fights absoultely KICKED my ass but it was still great! never played any strategy game like this but it turned out WAY more fun than i expected and its so charming like omg??? the music is so GOOD and the animations are also so GOOD and like. Bro
weird how like. you know how super paper mario had the void in the background, in the sky at all times? mario + rabbids tries to do the same thing with the megabug void thing but it only pops up during. one cutscene per world and whenevr you actually get to see the sky otherwise theres nothing wrong with it.. whats up with that??
ill def be playing more in the postgame to see if i can 100% it. its too fun man you cant blame me. will prob get the dk dlc later on as well! funny when i get to it rabbid peach will just remain the only party member thats been in every single one of my battles because yea (i like the her as a character a lot and her healing abilities are a godsend)
holy HELL this was rambly but basically. god i love this game play it
If only Rayman and friends were in the game, it would be a godsend.

Koops

Koops, King of Cowards.
Glad you enjoyed it.

This is the part where I plug Fire Emblem, another great strategy ga-...

Kersti

YoshiFlutterJump
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
I've had M+R since I got my Switch but still haven't beaten it...I think I beat the Phantom though. I'm horrible at strategy games period so that's probably why I found this so brutally difficult.

Kersti

YoshiFlutterJump
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Super Paper Mario

Finally beat this game, and...wow. This was...not at all like I remembered it. I think I actually...enjoyed this game? Like, a lot? Let me explain.

So, I'll start with the story, which for some reason is the most worshipped part of the game. And the story isn't bad, and certainly better than the rescue-the-princess cliche from every other Mario game, but...a story is not considered deep simply for not using the rescue-the-princess cliche in a series that usually does. Literally anything can look like a good story next to that. So then, why are you playing Mario when other games do story so much better? There is a bit of otherworldly charm to having Mario characters involved in this otherwise very un-Mario story, but I would have liked if more established Mario characters were present to make this feel more like a Mario game. I feel Thousand-Year Door did this well, with a unique setting but a great mix of established characters with original species.

Also, people say there's a lot of humor in the dialogue...there isn't. There are a few golden lines in this game (can't wait to start telling my siblings to "shuttest thy trap") but most of the humor feels very tryhard. A certain line from Dimentio is a perfect example: "Now you and this robotic guardian can spend some quality time... Yes, quality snack time! When he snacks...on you! For you...ARE the snack!" Come on, isn't that, like, the definition of bad humor? You can do better, localization team...boy I hope that wasn't also in the Japanese version. Thousand-Year Door and Partners in Time both had dark plots, but the dialogue had you laughing so much you often didn't think of the story. Why can't this game follow in those footsteps?

With that out of the way, let's talk about what really matters: the gameplay. It's essentially a 2D platformer with RPG elements. The main selling point of the game is the ability to flip into 3D...and that's probably the most poorly managed part of the gameplay. Of the four playable characters (more on that later), Mario is the only one who can flip. Not only that, but there's a rather harsh flip timer, so you can only stay flipped for 20 seconds. You lose only one heart point after that, after which you get 20 more seconds, but it's still discouraging the main gimmick of the game, and that's just dumb and bad design. There is a way to disable it and gain unlimited flip time, but it requires the completion of what almost certainly deserves to win the Worst Game Objective poll in Mario Awards, and it probably won't be much use by then anyway. And even without the flip timer, it's essentially a "solve puzzle" button and its use usually isn't very deep, and it doesn't help that the 3D scenery is often rather bland. And the 3D controls are pretty bad on top of that.

The rest of the gameplay is actually quite good, however. As mentioned before, you can play as Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser; each of them has a different power, and can be switched at will seamlessly: Mario can flip (as mentioned before), Luigi can Super Jump, Peach can float over long gaps, and Bowser has double attack power and can breathe fire. They're used in much deeper ways than partners from the previous installments, and I guess it helps that they're all established characters instead of underdeveloped OCs. Besides that, Pixls accompany Mario and co, and...this is where the underdeveloped OCs come in. Tippi is Mario's primary companion; she is always active and can tattle enemies (like Goombario and Goombella before her), give tips on how to proceed, and reveal invisible objects. The other Pixls can be swapped out, and are essentially just tools that Mario uses to proceed. In contrast to Tippi, who happens to be the first character in this series with actual character development, the other Pixls have literally no dialogue after they join you. Some actual semblance of character would have been nice, but I guess the game was text-heavy enough already, and we saw how the previous two games managed that...

Aside from that, the gameplay succeeds where NSMB failed, in that it feels like a true modernization of the classic Mario gameplay. Gone are the timer and lives (well okay the Life Shroom still exists), falling into a pit respawns you next to it (albeit with one HP lost), you can save after every level and even during levels, and the score has been repurposed into an EXP system, which can increase your HP or attack power at certain thresholds. Power-ups are present too: mushrooms replenish HP, flowers can manipulate gameplay speed or make coins rain from the sky, the 8-Bit Mario Heads (for lack of a better term) surround you with 8-bit Marios, and Mega Stars turn you into 8-Bit Mega Mario for a limited time.

Unfortunately, the level design is...pretty hit-or-miss. Like, sometimes levels have genuinely fantastic design, like in chapters 3 and 4, while other times the levels are bland or outright abominable, like in chapters 6 and 7. I do wish that the high level quality and variety of the former two shone throughout the game, because this genuinely could have been the definitive 2D Mario. I would actually like to see the gameplay of this game return in a sequel of sorts, hopefully with better level design and an improved flip mechanic, because the gameplay is pretty solid with that aside.

Overall, I'd say that I actually really enjoyed this game significantly more than last time, but that's not because of the "deep" story (it isn't) or the "unique" characters (they're not). It's because of the gameplay, which succeeds where NSMB fails and offers a true modernization of the classic 2D Mario formula, with RPG elements present to add to the unique flavor. Don't come in expecting anything like the previous two games--this is a Paper Mario game in artstyle alone, and any RPG gameplay here is very different from what those games established--and you're left with one of the most brilliant and original 2D platformers in the franchise.

Pros
-Fun platforming gameplay that truly modernizes the classic formula
-4 characters with different abilities
-RPG elements fit nicely into the platforming experience
-A lot of variety in level design
-Tippi has great character development (a first for the series)

Cons
-Flip mechanic is poorly executed with a lot of untapped potential
-Attempts at humor fall flat
-A bit too text-heavy for a platformer
-Pixls have almost no personality
-Chapter 7

This completes the third leg of my Paper Mario marathon, meaning I am now halfway done! However, with the next game on the list being Sticker Star, it'll be a couple weeks until I can continue. That means I won't be getting The Origami King at launch, but it does at least give me more time to focus on sidequests. Like those Pits of 100 Trials.

Last edited:

Cackletta's Soul

"You're a persistent pair!"
Super Paper Mario

Finally beat this game, and...wow. This was...not at all like I remembered it. I think I actually...enjoyed this game? Like, a lot? Let me explain.

So, I'll start with the story, which for some reason is the most worshipped part of the game. And the story isn't bad, and certainly better than the rescue-the-princess cliche from every other Mario game, but...a story is not considered deep simply for not using the rescue-the-princess cliche in a series that usually does. Literally anything can look like a good story next to that. So then, why are you playing Mario when other games do story so much better? There is a bit of otherworldly charm to having Mario characters involved in this otherwise very un-Mario story, but I would have liked if more established Mario characters were present to make this feel more like a Mario game. I feel Thousand-Year Door did this well, with a unique setting but a great mix of established characters with original species.

Also, people say there's a lot of humor in the dialogue...there isn't. There are a few golden lines in this game (can't wait to start telling my siblings to "shuttest thy trap") but most of the humor feels very tryhard. A certain line from Dimentio is a perfect example: "Now you and this robotic guardian can spend some quality time... Yes, quality snack time! When he snacks...on you! For you...ARE the snack!" Come on, isn't that, like, the definition of bad humor? You can do better, localization team...boy I hope that wasn't also in the Japanese version. Thousand-Year Door and Partners in Time both had dark plots, but the dialogue had you laughing so much you often didn't think of the story. Why can't this game follow in those footsteps?

With that out of the way, let's talk about what really matters: the gameplay. It's essentially a 2D platformer with RPG elements. The main selling point of the game is the ability to flip into 3D...and that's probably the most poorly managed part of the gameplay. Of the four playable characters (more on that later), Mario is the only one who can flip. Not only that, but there's a rather harsh flip timer, so you can only stay flipped for 20 seconds. You lose only one heart point after that, after which you get 20 more seconds, but it's still discouraging the main gimmick of the game, and that's just dumb and bad design. There is a way to disable it and gain unlimited flip time, but it requires the completion of what almost certainly deserves to win the Worst Game Objective poll in Mario Awards, and it probably won't be much use by then anyway. And even without the flip timer, it's essentially a "solve puzzle" button and its use usually isn't very deep, and it doesn't help that the 3D scenery is often rather bland. And the 3D controls are pretty bad on top of that.

The rest of the gameplay is actually quite good, however. As mentioned before, you can play as Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser; each of them has a different power, and can be switched at will seamlessly: Mario can flip (as mentioned before), Luigi can Super Jump, Peach can float over long gaps, and Bowser has double attack power and can breathe fire. They're used in much deeper ways than partners from the previous installments, and I guess it helps that they're all established characters instead of underdeveloped OCs. Besides that, Pixls accompany Mario and co, and...this is where the underdeveloped OCs come in. Tippi is Mario's primary companion; she is always active and can tattle enemies (like Goombario and Goombella before her), give tips on how to proceed, and reveal invisible objects. The other Pixls can be swapped out, and are essentially just tools that Mario uses to proceed. In contrast to Tippi, who happens to be the first character in this series with actual character development, the other Pixls have literally no dialogue after they join you. Some actual semblance of character would have been nice, but I guess the game was text-heavy enough already, and we saw how the previous two games managed that...

Aside from that, the gameplay succeeds where NSMB failed, in that it feels like a true modernization of the classic Mario gameplay. Gone are the timer and lives (well okay the Life Shroom still exists), falling into a pit respawns you next to it (albeit with one HP lost), you can save after every level and even during levels, and the score has been repurposed into an EXP system, which can increase your HP or attack power at certain thresholds. Power-ups are present too: mushrooms replenish HP, flowers can manipulate gameplay speed or make coins rain from the sky, the 8-Bit Mario Heads (for lack of a better term) surround you with 8-bit Marios, and Mega Stars turn you into 8-Bit Mega Mario for a limited time.

Unfortunately, the level design is...pretty hit-or-miss. Like, sometimes levels have genuinely fantastic design, like in chapters 3 and 4, while other times the levels are bland or outright abominable, like in chapters 6 and 7. I do wish that the high level quality and variety of the former two shone throughout the game, because this genuinely could have been the definitive 2D Mario. I would actually like to see the gameplay of this game return in a sequel of sorts, hopefully with better level design and an improved flip mechanic, because the gameplay is pretty solid with that aside.

Overall, I'd say that I actually really enjoyed this game significantly more than last time, but that's not because of the "deep" story (it isn't) or the "unique" characters (they're not). It's because of the gameplay, which succeeds where NSMB fails and offers a true modernization of the classic 2D Mario formula, with RPG elements present to add to the unique flavor. Don't come in expecting anything like the previous two games--this is a Paper Mario game in artstyle alone, and any RPG gameplay here is very different from what those games established--and you're left with one of the most brilliant and original 2D platformers in the franchise.

Pros
-Fun platforming gameplay that truly modernizes the classic formula
-4 characters with different abilities
-RPG elements fit nicely into the platforming experience
-A lot of variety in level design
-Tippi has great character development (a first for the series)

Cons
-Flip mechanic is poorly executed with a lot of untapped potential
-Attempts at humor fall flat
-A bit too text-heavy for a platformer
-Pixls have almost no personality
-Chapter 7

This completes the third leg of my Paper Mario marathon, meaning I am now halfway done! However, with the next game on the list being Sticker Star, it'll be a couple weeks until I can continue. That means I won't be getting The Origami King at launch, but it does at least give me more time to focus on sidequests. Like those Pits of 100 Trials.
I'm glad you liked it

Azure Striker Gunvolt

The true final boss was a lot harder than I remember it being, but I think I probably was better at the game when it was on the 3DS. Mostly because I had to learn how to play well since I had to take off the Prevasion Chain to unlock the true ending and so I had a lot of practice against the regular final boss without that crutch, but I took advantage of the Prevasion Chain knowing I would have to take it off this time, which just kind of fucked with how I learnt the game and so I only half-assed learning how to play properly. It was cool seeing how much better I did against the boss gauntlet compared to the original fights. I'm going to ignore the special missions for now and just move onto the next game. I want to at least beat each of the games first before I bother with challenge stuff.

Koops

Koops, King of Cowards.
Super Metroid

I've generally just become a fan of MetroidVanias in general. And I just finished this game.

I don't have the energy to be writing an all-out review rn so I'll just say that well, I really liked it. And that's about what I really feel about it. Also yes, before anyone asks, I saved the animals, and I have proof.

Screenshot (307).png

See that small comet-like thing that's on the same plane as the explosion? Yeah here's your proof.