Underrated Mario Games

Yeah, exactly.

I love the original Paper Mario. It was the game that started the Paper Mario series.

So, what's with the Sunshine hate?

Ornithologist Mario said:

I can provide a few reasons I've heard other people have said before:

1. It's in Isle Delfino and some people aren't big fans of Piantas and Nokis or having to collect Shine Sprites instead of Stars.
2. No classic enemies.
3. Koopaling fanboys/girls hate Bowser Jr. because their nostalgia glasses are on too tight they think he replaced the koopalings. Although Superstar Saga and NSMBW proved that wrong.
4. Mario has to receive help from FLUDD, which many SM64 fanboys consider a tool and are upset that Mario can't just jump by himself.
5. Not a problem for people who like to complete a game 100%, but in Sunshine, every Shine Sprite up to Mission 7 from each world MUST be collected in order to reach the final level. Unlike in SM64 where any stars would suffice as long as you had enough.
6. Levels aren't really diverse enough as they're all tropical themed.
7. Too many red coins missions. Most of which are timed by the way. Although the ones in the secret areas are optional.

Aqua Soul said:
Ornithologist Mario said:

I can provide a few reasons I've heard other people have said before:

1. It's in Isle Delfino and some people aren't big fans of Piantas and Nokis or having to collect Shine Sprites instead of Stars.
2. No classic enemies.
3. Koopaling fanboys/girls hate Bowser Jr. because their nostalgia glasses are on too tight they think he replaced the koopalings. Although Superstar Saga and NSMBW proved that wrong.
4. Mario has to receive help from FLUDD, which many SM64 fanboys consider a tool and are upset that Mario can't just jump by himself.
5. Not a problem for people who like to complete a game 100%, but in Sunshine, every Shine Sprite up to Mission 7 from each world MUST be collected in order to reach the final level. Unlike in SM64 where any stars would suffice as long as you had enough.
6. Levels aren't really diverse enough as they're all tropical themed.
7. Too many red coins missions. Most of which are timed by the way. Although the ones in the secret areas are optional.

Most of these reasons is related to how different it was from the original game. Why can't Nintendo use some fresh ideas? And if they recycle, fans will complain about that too. You can never please everybody. Picky, picky people out there.

I love Sunshine. :(

Blooper Surfing is the only thing I really hate about Sunshine.

The one thing I don't like about the game is that the Piantas falsely accused Mario for something he didn't do, and even in the end, the inhabitants of Isle Delfino never apoligized. *sigh* That's a pain I've carried in my heart (or what's left of it) since I was a child. :'(

Isle Delfino would be a great place to live though. Although I'd prefer to be by myself, or have some of my protagonist fan-made characters with me. Hopefully the hotel rooms will have tv and video games. 8)

Oh, you can send me with him too. I'm not in love with him, silly. :P I like him.

Most underrated Mario game? After playing Sunshine, it's underrated for sure. I enjoyed it more than Galaxy, and the exploration and stuff was what I wanted in the later Mario games. I'm disappointed that Sunshine is the latest exploration-based Mario game. I really liked exploration in the Mario games.

Aqua Soul said:
The one thing I don't like about the game is that the Piantas falsely accused Mario for something he didn't do, and even in the end, the inhabitants of Isle Delfino never apoligized. *sigh* That's a pain I've carried in my heart (or what's left of it) since I was a child. :'(

I think they apologized by letting him have his original vacation plans.

Super Mario Sunshine is probably the most underrated game of all time, just because of the differences.

People with thick nostalgia glasses tend to complain the most, I guess.

I woldn't say they complain, but more like they shoot down Paper Mario. I was on gameFAQS before and this guy wrote a review for both SMRPG and Paper Mario. I can't (and don't want to) remember all the details, but let's just say that he gave SMRPG a near perfect review and for Paper Mario, he said that without SquareEnix, "everything goes straight to hell".

Plus, when I was listening to some SMRPG songs on YouTube, this one guy said "SMRPG is 11234059812350912475 times better than Paper Mario!" That wasn't the exact number, but I do remember it being random.

All-in-all, SMRPG gets some unnecessary praise such as "it was the best game of the year" or "best game ever".

Gawd, GameFAQs is the same site where they shoot down the baby characters too.

Mario looks ugly in Super Mario RPG. Enough said.

I heard that Super Mario RPG is overrated. People act like everything Square Enix touches turns to gold. :P Intelligent Systems is a formidable company. They made WarioWare and Paper Mario.

Yeah, that's why I don't read the gameFAQS reviews anymore. I still go there for help if I need it.

Thing is, SMRPG is overrated while Paper Mario is underrated when compared to each other. They're both deccent games that don't deserve excessive amounts of love or hate.

You know what I really hate about SquareEnix, the fact that they refuse to allow Mallow and Geno to return (save for Geno's cameo in Superstar Saga). It's like they care more about making money than what their fans want.

Back