Underrated Mario Games

Exponents are your friends!

One Mario Game I think is underrated is Paper Mario: Color Splash. It got lots of hatred because of it's similarities to Sticker Star. But in my opinion, I think it's a really fun game. I already completed it and actually completed it three times already.

Mario Party DS

Seriously, many people rate it as "boring", but I actually think it's pretty fun. Yes, it doesn't have a GREAT story mode, but hey, the minigames are fun and original, there are puzzles to warm up your brain, and the Party mode is very good, specially in multiplayer.

Man, how dare they to underrate such a good game?

PowerKamek said:
One Mario Game I think is underrated is Paper Mario: Color Splash. It got lots of hatred because of it's similarities to Sticker Star. But in my opinion, I think it's a really fun game. I already completed it and actually completed it three times already.

I used to hate it too because of Sticker Star, but after watching a whole playthrough of it I realize it is truly a beautiful game.

Can’t wait for Paper Mario Switch I tell ya.

LED42™ said:
Mario Party DS

Seriously, many people rate it as "boring", but I actually think it's pretty fun. Yes, it doesn't have a GREAT story mode, but hey, the minigames are fun and original, there are puzzles to warm up your brain, and the Party mode is very good, specially in multiplayer.

Man, how dare they to underrate such a good game?
...MP DS is underrated? It seems like everywhere I go, I see people heralding as one of the best Mario Party games, if not the best.

The Super Mario Land games are underrated. They're good games, but they're largely ignored in comparison to their console counterparts.

Mario Party DS is probably the best Mario Party handheld installment, even. The rest don't really live up to it.

Anyone who's paid attention would know I love Mario Kart: Super Circuit and Yoshi Topsy-Turvy. Super Mario Land is a recent experience for me, but I'm biased as a Daisy fan lol.

J-Yoshi64 said:
Anyone who's paid attention would know I love Mario Kart: Super Circuit and Yoshi Topsy-Turvy. Super Mario Land is a recent experience for me, but I'm biased as a Daisy fan lol.

I played Super Mario Land a while ago. The physics were really weird (the jumping especially) and the super ball powerup was just... bad. It just isn't fun to throw a projectile at an enemy so that it goes upwards and misses. The balls were also really fast.

It was also really hard. The Easton kingdom made me lose so many lives :mad: . Playing it on a real gameboy must be a pain.

What I like about it is how different it was. Totomesu, Dragonzamasu and Hiyoihoi sure are better than just lots of fake bowsers.

Also Tatanga is a neat villain (an alien is a cool concept). I don't get why people hate him so much :koopa: .

Less hate and more just boring. Even at the time nothing about him was notable to the point that his own creators demoted him to regular boss in the sequel.

Mr. Saltman said:
Also Tatanga is a neat villain (an alien is a cool concept). I don't get why people hate him so much :koopa: .
I think people like to see him back and the "haters" probably are just those that aren't arsed to care.

Mcmadness said:
Less hate and more just boring. Even at the time nothing about him was notable to the point that his own creators demoted him to regular boss in the sequel.

Well, it's not like anything about Wario aside from being a bad Mario was notable the first time he appeared in SML2 either. But yeah, a bad Mario has more potential as a concept, and Wario shows how it can be done because he's really cool.

But really, I've heard a lot of people say he's the absolute worst Mario villain, and that's debatable. I'm sure there are other bad guys in the Marioverse who are just as boring too (like Smithy. Please don't kill me for saying that.). I just don't get why Tatanga should be the one who gets that title.

I mean an alien is unusual for Mario so it doesn't sound really that boring to me. Still, his appereance is kind of boring (he's nothing but a purple alien with pointy ears), so I kind of get it.

i think that tatanga isnt interesting enough to be a main villain like bowser or wart, but i wouldnt mind seeing him as a regular boss again

Shroobs are more interested villains than Tatanga tbh

Mr. Saltman said:
I'm sure there are other bad guys in the Marioverse who are just as boring too (like Smithy. Please don't kill me for saying that.).
he's as boring as a bunch of poorly 3D-modeled rocks

LeftyGreenMario said:
Mr. Saltman said:
I'm sure there are other bad guys in the Marioverse who are just as boring too (like Smithy. Please don't kill me for saying that.).
he's as boring as a bunch of poorly 3D-modeled rocks

His final form is kid of scary though. But aside from that he's boring.

Mario Golf World Tour. It's my favorite in the Golf games simply based on the courses you play on. Such a great variety of environments from the Mario series. You get to play golf under-freaking-water! The Item Shots are a great addition to the series too. Very Mario! It's the most Mario-tastic Mario Golf game ever!

And then they sucked all that wonderful Mario stuff out of golf with Sports Superstars. What were they thinking!?

Baby Luigi said:
Shroobs are more interested villains than Tatanga tbh
To be fair, they had more screen time than Tatanga, so no wonder they're more developed.

Still, I like their methodology of sucking the life out of Toads and all of that death and destruction they wrought, and that being the only thing that matters to them.

I like anything that kills Toads. They needed Shroobs in Paper Jam to control their numbers.

Tatanga should've at least been a boss in Super Mario Galaxy, even for his supposed "lack of interest" he did only appear in Game Boy platformers, his biggest role being in the simpler of them, so it's not like he had a chance to be fleshed out. I'd argue Daisy had less going for her in Super Mario Land, and they managed to flesh her out into a recurring character (even if I'm not really a fan of her) and if they can do that with the Super Mario Land damsel, they already have more to work with for Tatanga.

Back