Experiences with fandoms.

Mario Fan

Mario
Pronouns
He/Him
In this thread, you are meant to post about your time in a video game fandom.

I quite enjoy Friday Night Funkin, in fact I was a FNF fan before week 2 came out. I was their to see the creation of Whitty, it's eventual removal, and remaster. I remember when my ads weren't filled with clickbait using it, and I can clearly recall the tranquility of it's fandom.

Yet I could tell, The fandom was growing at an incredible rate, and mods were coming out left and right. It was about a month, maybe two. The mods were booming, but there was no controversy, no pibby, and no clickbait. It was incredible, I was for the first time in my life not joining a fandom after it's golden era, but seeing it unfold before my very eyes.

However, it didn't take long for the fandom to reach the critical mass. The videos began to grow, and with that kids stumbled upon a video, and they liked it. People caught on, and it all went downhill from there. Clickbait ran rampant, controversy was everywhere, low effort mods came out, YouTube kids milked it, the ads, another mention of the ads, and the children's parents started complaining about how it wasn't kid friendly.

I watched it all, even considered cutting my losses and leaving the fandom at one point, but no. Not me, I've never been one to leave fandoms. The only time I ever stopped playing a game I enjoyed was Roblox. Besides, those few months when FNF was just a small indie title was some of the best fun I've had. I really am quite sick of the children though.

Thanks for reading- Me.

i try to avoid fandoms to the most of my ability. i don't like going on social media and seeing people complain about these series for the umpteenth time.

paper mario's fandom is the worst mario fandom bar none. there's nonstop arguments over the merits of its character design, story, and gameplay, and this includes petty nitpicks that no one really cares about (such as the curvature of a koopa's mouth or what color scheme a hammer bro uses) (like yoshi's new island made the switch to "modern" enemy designs without any problem and is not a major complaint people had but the moment they made boos look like they do everywhere else in paper mario they suddenly lose """"charm"""" and """"personality"""") to what is and isn't a "character" or if its design is creative or not. the worst part of the fandom loves to name and shame individuals (namely tanabe and miyamoto) for the outcome of the franchise despite that they're fully ignorant of their roles in game development and no one person has total control over the game as these games are designed by committee. one person even said like, origami king had better character designs because they have an art director from final fantasy games when he's not even a character designer.

the sims kinda sucks. there are people who would get mad at ea updates breaking mods even though that's literally not ea's fault, heard stories of people who would get shit for using male sims, and just overall sour attitudes. i may be highlighting extreme examples (the same applies to the paper mario fandom) but yeah, you accrue a big fandom, you get very nasty people in it. i don't have as passionate views towards the sims fandom as i do towards paper mario fans but they're horrible in their own right.

the moment they made boos look like they do everywhere else in paper mario they suddenly lose """"charm"""" and """"personality""""

no lies detected

~~~~

i refrain from taking part in most fandoms. the only exception is this particular community, which attracts me because it's largely civil and laid back, owing to it being a bit more tightly-knit and having great moderation.

Last edited:
rayman fandom is pretty up there in how bad it is. nothing about peoples takes on series or whatever (though it being treated likw garbage by ubisoft doesnt help). its the fact that while yes ive found plenty of minorities there, it also attracts a really weird amount of huge bigots for some reason ... i wont get into further detail but jesus christ

angry birds fandom is far less egregious but is sure filled with stupid kids (so clowns are in there too). some of them are no different from people who think angry birds is cringe and bad

I didnt even know they were so many toxic sonic fans until like 6 months ago

im not even part of the sonic fandom and i already got a taste of how bad it is regarding frontiers pre-release discourse

that's surprising you didn't know. sonic fandom tends to be almost infamous for its toxicity, like it's THE go-to example for how bad a fandom can get.

In this thread, you are meant to post about your time in a video game fandom.

I quite enjoy Friday Night Funkin, in fact I was a FNF fan before week 2 came out. I was their to see the creation of Whitty, it's eventual removal, and remaster. I remember when my ads weren't filled with clickbait using it, and I can clearly recall the tranquility of it's fandom.

Yet I could tell, The fandom was growing at an incredible rate, and mods were coming out left and right. It was about a month, maybe two. The mods were booming, but there was no controversy, no pibby, and no clickbait. It was incredible, I was for the first time in my life not joining a fandom after it's golden era, but seeing it unfold before my very eyes.

However, it didn't take long for the fandom to reach the critical mass. The videos began to grow, and with that kids stumbled upon a video, and they liked it. People caught on, and it all went downhill from there. Clickbait ran rampant, controversy was everywhere, low effort mods came out, YouTube kids milked it, the ads, another mention of the ads, and the children's parents started complaining about how it wasn't kid friendly.

I watched it all, even considered cutting my losses and leaving the fandom at one point, but no. Not me, I've never been one to leave fandoms. The only time I ever stopped playing a game I enjoyed was Roblox. Besides, those few months when FNF was just a small indie title was some of the best fun I've had. I really am quite sick of the children though.

Thanks for reading- Me.
This is why i want to shoot every 4 year old that plays roblox. They ruin everything with their shitty poppy playtime bullshit. It would be better if they all died

Side note. Fuck pibby

Every part of every fandom is insufferable except for the parts I'm in as they are automatically better with me in it.

Every part of every fandom is insufferable except for the parts I'm in as they are automatically better with me in it.
No idea who you are, but agree.

This is why i want to shoot every 4 year old that plays roblox. They ruin everything with their shitty poppy playtime bullshit. It would be better if they all died

Side note. Fuck pibby
I agree, but maybe just tone down the child slaughter a tiny bit. Please.
Also Pibby itself was a decent idea, then some guy made a trash mod with worse music, and because children have the worst taste it blew up, then more came out.

Last edited:
Personally speaking, if a fandom exhibits qualities of a paradise, be thankful for it! It's rare for this to happen, and even if it's restricted to the community, it's still something to be blessed about. I feel like we should not take decent communities for granted. So like the Mario community may not stick out that much compared to something like Sonic, Pokemon, or Final Fantasy, but if the folks are generally courteous and understanding, but that's better than disunity where a group would be brash about thinking that you are right and others are wrong.

(Paper Mario fans, though, stick out very unpleasantly, unfortunately)

paper mario's fandom is the worst mario fandom bar none. there's nonstop arguments over the merits of its character design, story, and gameplay, and this includes petty nitpicks that no one really cares about (such as the curvature of a koopa's mouth or what color scheme a hammer bro uses) (like yoshi's new island made the switch to "modern" enemy designs without any problem and is not a major complaint people had but the moment they made boos look like they do everywhere else in paper mario they suddenly lose """"charm"""" and """"personality"""") to what is and isn't a "character" or if its design is creative or not. the worst part of the fandom loves to name and shame individuals (namely tanabe and miyamoto) for the outcome of the franchise despite that they're fully ignorant of their roles in game development and no one person has total control over the game as these games are designed by committee. one person even said like, origami king had better character designs because they have an art director from final fantasy games when he's not even a character designer.
It says something when even on the 10th anniversary of Sticker Star, there is a lack of feeling of commemoration but the feeling of contempt is openly felt about it. Of course Sticker Star won't be the only example of contempt being felt in its anniversary. It's like hazing somebody on their birthday, which is rude, but I guess because a game is not a living thing, there is no inhibition or guilt in lashing out to it.

Thank you for reading.

From my experience, it's better to connect to Fandom via your actual friends then trying to face the whole entire thing but that could just me seeing the worst of Fandoms via Twitter

Elder Scrolls fans that have played more than one game are just… yeesh.
Holy cow no offense but they're either racists or degenerates! (They're being ironic and the games aren't real so it's definitely fine.)

Back