MarioWiki Poll Discussion

Gamepad and GameCube controllers are my favorite.

I don't really have any preference for controllers. I do like the Wii Remote better than the Joy-Cons, Nunchuck, and Gamepad, but other than that, I don't have enough experience with the other controllers to really form an opinion at this time.

(Plus, I think I only touched a Gamecube controller once or twice, maybe more than that if we consider those replicas Nintendo made as Pro Controllers for the Wii U to be Gamecube controllers. However, they don't function like a real Gamecube controller despite looking similar. Therefore, I'm certain that I only touched a Gamecube controller (not counting replicas) once or twice.)

I unironically love the joycons. Just being able to move my hands wherever I want untethered from a single controller that keeps them close together is cool and revolutionary and peak design.

Where'd 64 controller go in the options?? It's gone. Anyway, as a bit of a game controller aficionado, this is my kind of poll. Joy-Cons are so versatile, and work great for any game, pretty much. Did you know they can be used as infrared cameras? The GamePad is pretty awesome as long as you understand it isn't a Wii peripheral, and it's super comfy too. Wii remotes are just so cool and... revolutionary... and are comfy too. I have a lot of good memories holding those things, and the Nunchuks are a good peripheral. GameCube controllers take a little getting used to (button layout probably designed by aliens) but actually make a great gamepad once you know your way around them. I have a PowerA wireless GameCube controller for my Switch, and it's recreated perfectly. The N64 controller is just awesome. I know maybe it doesn't hold up so well compared to modern gamepads, and the joystick is weird, but I have a lot of nostalgia playing on the N64 at my dad's old counseling office. I (miraculously) snagged the wireless N64 Switch Online controller on its 1st anniversary, and it's perfectly true to life, down to having the same rumble as the Rumble Pak. I've only ever played SNES once, from my uncle's private collection of basically every console that exists, and I have some KiwiTata USB SNES-style controllers for my Raspberry Pi, but I want to get the Switch Online SNES controller. They're not bad, the real ones have some nice weight to them. Lastly, the NES controller is classic. Again, I've only played NES once, but I have the Switch Online NES controller 2-pack. It's blocky, but classic and simple.
Here's my ranked list:
7: SNES controller
6: NES controller
5: Wii Remote/Nunchuk
4: GameCube controller
3: Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons
2: Wii U GamePad
1: N64 controller
Seriously though, the N64 controller and the Joy-Cons are not present in the poll's options.

Where'd 64 controller go in the options?? It's gone. Anyway, as a bit of a game controller aficionado, this is my kind of poll. Joy-Cons are so versatile, and work great for any game, pretty much. Did you know they can be used as infrared cameras? The GamePad is pretty awesome as long as you understand it isn't a Wii peripheral, and it's super comfy too. Wii remotes are just so cool and... revolutionary... and are comfy too. I have a lot of good memories holding those things, and the Nunchuks are a good peripheral. GameCube controllers take a little getting used to (button layout probably designed by aliens) but actually make a great gamepad once you know your way around them. I have a PowerA wireless GameCube controller for my Switch, and it's recreated perfectly. The N64 controller is just awesome. I know maybe it doesn't hold up so well compared to modern gamepads, and the joystick is weird, but I have a lot of nostalgia playing on the N64 at my dad's old counseling office. I (miraculously) snagged the wireless N64 Switch Online controller on its 1st anniversary, and it's perfectly true to life, down to having the same rumble as the Rumble Pak. I've only ever played SNES once, from my uncle's private collection of basically every console that exists, and I have some KiwiTata USB SNES-style controllers for my Raspberry Pi, but I want to get the Switch Online SNES controller. They're not bad, the real ones have some nice weight to them. Lastly, the NES controller is classic. Again, I've only played NES once, but I have the Switch Online NES controller 2-pack. It's blocky, but classic and simple.
Here's my ranked list:
7: SNES controller
6: NES controller
5: Wii Remote/Nunchuk
4: GameCube controller
3: Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons
2: Wii U GamePad
1: N64 controller
Seriously though, the N64 controller and the Joy-Cons are not present in the poll's options.
Those two should be on the poll now, thanks for pointing it out.

Certainly later on but it's extremely close for me between the Wii Remote and Nunchuk and Wii U Gamepad, the former garnering positive memories from me of all the video games I played it with, and the latter garnering positive memories from me of all of the privacy I had looking at the Internet on it. However, I suppose I'll say the Wii Remote and Nunchuk because video games are more the point of a console.

With the release of Sparks of Hope's final DLC, how do you feel about the game and its post-launch content?
  • I enjoyed Sparks of Hope, and I thought the DLC was worthwhile content.
  • I enjoyed Sparks of Hope, but I didn't find the DLC to measure up to my expectations.
  • I enjoyed Sparks of Hope, but I did not buy any of the DLC content.
  • I did not enjoy Sparks of Hope's base game, but found the DLC to be much better.
  • I did not enjoy Sparks of Hope's base game, and likewise did not enjoy the DLC.
  • I did not enjoy Sparks of Hope's base game, and I did not buy any of the DLC content.
  • I did not play Sparks of Hope.

This one is also a bit late to go up, but I thought this poll would align nicely with the release of the final DLC at the end of the month, rather than sit awkwardly in the abyss until another poll finished, so here we go.

Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope released its final DLC pack today (or will in a couple hours for some, presumably), so if you want to play that, go do it before answering this poll. If you don't want to play that, or just don't own Sparks of Hope at all... then uh, option 7 sweep, baby.

Yeah I haven't bothered to pick this one up at all, and I wouldn't be surprised if many were in the same boat. I played the original and thought it was pretty good, but I just had no real interest in this one for whatever reason and passed on it entirely. That being said, I am interested to see if you guys wound up enjoying the DLC. Rayman's in the newest one, and that's kind of cool for anyone who still cares about him. Will Ubisoft do anything with him going forward? Probably not, but it's nice to see him again I guess.

Option 3. I enjoyed Sparks of Hope, however, I haven't bought the DLC at the moment.

Didn't play Sparks of Hope, because as Ubisoft has already proven, they won't hesitate to bring the game's price down to as low as 75%, like what happened with Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. While I didn't feel remorse for getting the base game for 30% discount since there weren't many games in my Switch back then, the low price made it feel like affording to wait makes for a great decision. You can already see that the game already had a 50% discount (w/o DLC) so I am willing to wait for the pack to be 75% (w/ DLC).

Do you know that Kingdom Battle has a permanent price drop? That happened last year, but given how often the game is discounted, not even $40 from $60 (DLC price unchanged) sounds like a sound decision to get it.

Thank you for reading.

The Rayman DLC is looking to be a massive disappointment ngl. It doesn't look like there's a lot of Rayman stuff in there (not a single Teensie to be found, nor Globox) but hey there are guns themed after them! The fact that he doesn't even like cross over with Mario in any significant capacity is also a huge disappointment.

The Super Mario Bros. Wonder Direct showcased many new power-ups & mechanics. Which feature are you most looking forward to from the game as a whole?
  • New ordinary power-ups (Elephant, Bubble, Drill)
  • Wonder Effect forms (Goomba Mario, Balloon Mario, etc.)
  • Other level-based Wonder Effects (moving pipes, perspective change, etc.)
  • Yoshi gameplay differences (not taking damage, eating enemies, Flutter Jump, usability as a mount)
  • Co-op mechanics (reviving, online Live Player Shadows, Standees)
  • Equippable Badges that meaningfully change the basic gameplay mechanics
  • I am not looking forward to any of the features in Super Mario Bros. Wonder.
  • I have no opinion.

From @Turboo, we have a poll about the various new mechanics being introduced in Super Mario Bros. Wonder. Overall, the main thing I think is going to be interesting about this game is the badge system more than any of the other mechanics. While I desperately wish there were more slots available than the advertised 1 (?), I think it's a great start in terms of making these games interesting. I've sort of felt like the Mario platformers for a long while have just been the bare minimum in terms of platforming design.

Since the last Mario sidescroller, we've seen a lot of new releases in the space, including Hollow Knight, a 2D sidescroller with heavy reliance on Paper Mario-esque Badge- like items that influence gameplay. I'm sort of happy to see Wonder pull from this, but at the same time, what we've seen also makes me think they might have a ways to go before they fully explore the capabilities provided by this system.

Somehow got vote #2! Anyway, I voted for the Wonder Effects because they all show to have a lot of variety, like the one that is running on the wall and the running rhinos.

1694669440007.png

Thank you for reading.

Option 1, 2, 3, and 6. I really like the new powerups, and the badges and wonder effects really spice up the gameplay without it getting too convoluted.

Nintendo has announced several Mario-related titles planned for release in 2023 and 2024. Which one are you most looking forward to?
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  • WarioWare: Move It!
  • Super Mario RPG (Nintendo Switch)
  • Mario vs. Donkey Kong (Nintendo Switch)
  • Princess Peach: Showtime!
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (Nintendo Switch)
  • I am not looking forward to any of these games.
  • I am not looking forward to any one game over another.

From @Turboo, we're taking a look at people's reactions to the recent Nintendo Direct this time. It's been a good while since they've had this many games in the franchise coming out at the same time, and with it in mind that most of these are remakes and probably much cheaper to produce than entirely new games, it makes me wonder if they're pivoting towards more frequent, lower budget titles. I wonder how people would feel about that? Oh well, something for a future poll, perhaps.

Personally, I'm kind of interested in the SMRPG and TTYD remakes, but not the rest. I've made my stance on Wonder kind of clear before, but nothing else here is particularly appealing either. Luigi's Mansion 2 is the worst one, and unless the port changes a lot, that will likely continue to be the case. I still can't even tell what kind of game Princess Peach: Showtime! is, and while I'm glad they're at least remaking the good Mario vs. Donkey Kong game, I kind of think they should have remade DK '94 instead because that game is old as balls.

Move It!, I can take or leave. Any game that requires joycons automatically pisses me off because of the poor quality of the hardware and especially the analog sticks, so I doubt I'll play this even though I like the series.

Option 1. Mario Wonder has a lot going for it, including three new power-ups, the ability to choose between 8 different characters (12 if you count the different colored Toads and Yoshis as individuals), and new mechanics that not only change the way you play, but enhance the overall experience.

Peach Showtime has a lot of interesting concepts, such as her being able to transform into new identities, including a swordfighter, kung-fu warrior, pastry chef, and detective. However, I am worried that it won't do well in terms of sales. Back in 2006, when SPP entered the market, there was competition from side-scrollers, as well as licensed girl games for franchises like Disney Princess, Barbie, and Bratz. So while critics might've been kind to it, the only people who were interested were Mario fans and female players.

I am worried that this game could do just as poorly as its predecessor, even though the licensed game market has almost completely moved to mobile devices. While I do think Mario fans and female players will pick it up, the gameplay might turn off those who don't like multi-genre games, or think that the many different play styles could turn them away. So that's why Mario Wonder has been keeping itself on my mind a lot more compared to this game.

Option 7, like oh my god the ttyd remake still feels like my wishes have been answered, it's my favourite Mario game getting a full-on beautiful faithful remake on a contemporary portable console after never having been made available beyond its original GC disc release, which is now very rare and expensive. It will be accessible and visible to a whole new generation of players and it just warms my heart to know of all the kids who will get to experience this masterpiece who otherwise may never have heard of it, and who will get to grow up falling in love with the unique charm of its story, writing, and characters like I did with SPM and Bowser's Inside Story. It's also great to see this game acknowledge SPM with the photo, and I hope the remake's references to SPM don't end there. My hopes for a new Mario RPG with the charm and originality of the first 3 Paper Mario games are now higher than they've ever been. To say I'm excited is an understatement, it's the single greatest moment I've had in terms of game announcements since I took my love of Mario online.

That said, I'm still very hyped for the Legend of the Seven Stars remake, Princess Peach Showtime, and Super Mario Bros. Wonder.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong (Nintendo Switch)

It's not a new Mario vs. Donkey Kong, but I'll take it! I love the Mario games that feature his first and less-popular platforming mechanics, and I hope that this game succeeds because I wish we have more of those types of games.

Thank you for reading.

Back