The Next Mario Kart

I want courses that force players on rough terrain. No more of this all smooth road nonsense.

Like Rally Races? Count me in, I'd love for bumpy terrain. We already have several in Mario Kart such as Moo Moo Meadows, Wario Stadium (DS), Choco Island, etc however.

Even so, you can't avoid the forced online connection and the terrible rotating overpriced bullshit that is the pit stop no matter how much I pretend Activision did not publish this game. I will not forget they patched in microtransactions after the game had launched, this is an absolutely disgusting move that withered my interest of the game to practically zero. Microtransactions have no place in games you paid an upfront price for.

Okay, I'll admit the Pit Shop is kinda... bad.

And some things are WAY overpriced... (1500 coins just for a new character WHAT)

I haven't a single cent on the game and I only unlocked TWO karts from the Piss Stain (new name for the Pit Stop).

Yeah, two!

Both Beetle Adventure Racing and Sonic & All-Stars Transformed did something like this, with the former having you race 2 laps around a track and the final lap opening you to the finish line, while the latter has very dynamic track changes, the most drastic I can think of is Dream Valley, where every lap is hugely different because the portal changes where you race on.

That sounds pretty on-brand with NiGHTs' games, where despite taking place in the same place, every phase has the titular character travelling through different parts of the level.

Thank you for reading.

Like Rally Races? Count me in, I'd love for bumpy terrain. We already have several in Mario Kart such as Moo Moo Meadows, Wario Stadium (DS), Choco Island, etc however.
Some mandatory bushwhacking areas too would be cool (and stuff like that , where you gotta fight the terrain). I like how they got the standard snowboarding games forest obstacle on Mt. Wario

No thanks, I really do not want a Nintendo Kart. I was really disappointed when they announced the DLC for Mario Kart 8 and saw that they were going to add Link of all characters. I admit that I did enjoy racing as Villagers, Isabelle, and Inklings since at least they don't feel so out of place in a Mario game like Link does. But I really wouldn't like them to return and don't want future Mario Kart games to have non-Mario characters.

If there was a Nintendo Kart, it would have significantly less Mario characters to make room for the other series. This would mean that characters like the babies would probably be cut, and no Baby Luigi is never a good thing.

Even so, you can't avoid the forced online connection and the terrible rotating overpriced bullshit that is the pit stop no matter how much I pretend Activision did not publish this game. I will not forget they patched in microtransactions after the game had launched, this is an absolutely disgusting move that withered my interest of the game to practically zero. Microtransactions have no place in games you paid an upfront price for.

At least the Pit Stop purchases are all aesthetic, but even then, just the fact that they're aesthetic really gives you no practical reason to buy even the base game contents; believe me, I've been suckered into buying those pointless accessories by Activision's greedy practices. Absolutely disgraceful.

Another thing worth mentioning is that thanks to the software updates, players can even choose their characters' driving styles, which means that literally everybody can use the Speed and Drift styles (the only driving styles that are even close to being viable in CTR: Nitro-Fueled!).

Meanwhile, Mario Kart at least gives us stat diversity with the characters and vehicle parts, and doesn't force us to have to pay real world money to unlock stuff in the handheld and console titles. But then again, you might end up struggling to win if your favorite combination's stats are sorely lacking in the speed department (something that the lighter characters tend to suffer from).

Aesthetics are an extremely important part of games and I don't think they should be downplayed the way they are. People love talking about playable characters when they are just 90% aesthetics. Plus, if they weren't lucrative and desirable gameplay items, they wouldn't be monetized and grinded up the wazoo to begin with. Especially in Mario Kart Tour where most of the game is just unlocking aesthetics and that one's monetized to death.

The thing is though, the Mario Kart series characters have been anything but aesthetic, especially in Double Dash!! where you can't use any of the heavyweight karts if your character combination doesn't include a heavyweight character. Thank god that MKDS, MK7, and MK8 got rid of that restriction, though the latter two did go one step further by making the vehicle bodies larger or smaller, depending on your character.

I mean, sure they're not entirely aesthetic, they belong in a particular class, but the difference between picking, say, Baby Mario vs Baby Luigi is entirely up to your preference, hence why I said they're aesthetic.

I would prefer having stats linked to the karts and characters be entirely aesthetic.
and then add some customization for the karts for once, visually and stat-wise.
It wouldn't have to be real in-depth stuff but even a tiny bit of customization is good.
If there were some customization with the karts we wouldn't get cases of literally everyone just being Waluigi riding the same bike.
If Mario Kart took some inspiration from what competition it has it could be a awesome to fairly good racing game series.
But for now I'd say Mario Kart games are fun when a friend's over, but if I'm on my own? I'd rather play another game and maybe honestly that's fine for what Mario Kart is... but I'd also like to have a fun single player racing experience with Mario characters ya know? .

Last edited:
Thing is about Mario Kart being heavily geared towards friends is that even in games like Sonic & All-Stars Transformed's single player mode can be played with multiple people, so even friends can enjoy a single player experience of the game. You still have to unlock crap anyway for you and your friends to play on.

Mario Kart Wii sucked the most for multiplayer because the shit you needed to unlock was tied behind single player. (Of course you could unlock characters with playing VS mode races but it's far grindier and more time-consuming, how would you unlock Diddy Kong, win the 50cc Lightning Cup or play fucking 450 fucking races?)

To be honest, neither is Team Sonic Racing yet that game uses locales from a variety of games (like Boo's House being from Sandpolis and we have an appearance of King Boom Boo, or Ocean View being from Sonic Heroes's Seaside Palace). In addition, we do have Super Mario 64, Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Sunshine-tracks and some light Super Mario Galaxy theming in these tracks and I think we could have more themed tracks from further games like the aforementioned Mario Party or a paper-themed track.

Sure, but at the end of the day I care more that the tracks are good, not that they are based off something.

I mean it's telling some of the best MK tracks aren't based on anything at all.

To be fair, it does seem like the tracks based off existing Mario locales was all clustered in Super Mario Kart. I'm not sure the thing's as extensively done in other games.

I mean, sure they're not entirely aesthetic, they belong in a particular class, but the difference between picking, say, Baby Mario vs Baby Luigi is entirely up to your preference, hence why I said they're aesthetic.

This is kind of why I've mentioned about more stat diversity. Your character could be in the same weight class as the other, but sacrifice handling to increase speed, while leaving acceleration, weight, and traction untouched.

But then, you would eventually run into some abnormalities with Rosalina, Waluigi, Metal Mario, and Pink Gold Peach. The first two characters are large-sized, but would be among the lightest large-sized characters, sharing their weight with Mario and Luigi, while sacrificing handling for better speed. Whereas, Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach are medium-sized, but are among the heaviest characters out there, and sacrifice speed for better handling to set themselves further apart from the likes of Bowser, Wario, Morton, and Dry Bowser.

Ultimately, I'd be most happy with more non-human drivers from Mario. Bring back Wiggler, bring over Monty, King Bob-omb, and add some new ones. How about allies from Isle Delfino? They always reoccur as viewers anyway, why not give them a shot?

After some reflection,
a Nintendo Off-Roads game would be really cool! As opposed to Kart. It would be grittier, driving ATV's, having all the gameplay camera effects that Kart lacks, items would be weapons like in Twisted Metal, and all tough terrains. An honorary racing adjacent to Smash.

Basically, more single player options (Like a more improved Mission mode, some sort of Adventure/Story mode) and more customizable options in the VS and Battle modes.

I would like to see them make a single player campaign like Crash Team Racing and Need For Speed Underground 2. The plot would be basic like Peach runs a racing course in her kingdom, but Bowser will turn her race course into his, unless Mario races through all kinds of obstacles as well as against other drivers, and then Bowser himself. Along the way, you'll have the option to pick other drivers during this adventure, kind of like story mode in Mario Super Sluggers.

We could have an evil kart possessing drivers the same way Lucien possessed tennis players.

Back