Guessing the Mario games for 2022

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
winstein
In recent years, not much is known for Mario franchise games to be released for the next year, and this year is no exception. For example, we certainly didn't know that we will have a new Mario Golf, Mario Party, and WarioWare back in 2020, and the only game that we knew in 2020 that is a 2021 game is Bowser's Fury. In 2022's case, the only Mario game that we know will be released the following year is Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope.

One of my guesses on what's in store next year is a new Donkey Kong game, and perhaps a new 2D Mario game.

What do you think will be released for next year?

Thank you for reading.

EDIT: Mario games known so far:
  • Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: Booster Course Pass

Last edited:
Kind of hard to say, we have pretty much all of the regular Mario series on Switch already (Mario vs. Donkey Kong is still missing, but does anyone really care). Probably no Mario & Sonic since the Olympics are in February so we would've had an announcement by now. I can't really see them doing any more Wii U ports either since almost all of the Mario games are either ported already or have better/comparable sequels on the Switch. (I guess Color Splash could still be ported?)

At this point I doubt it'll happen but maybe we'll finally get a new Mario Kart title. Fingers crossed for a new Donkey Kong Country. I could also see them pulling out something weird and unexpected like Treasure Tracker 2. I don't really expect any huge Mario games this year, so Odyssey 2 is off the table in my opinion.

(I'd also like to see a new Wario Land game but yeah right)

Wario Land has historically sold better than WarioWare, so a new game in the former series isn't off the table, entirely. Had to add that last bit because it would seem Nintendo, in wanting to create a singular brand identity for Wario, simply chose the glorified minigame collections to represent it since not many other franchises under their belt utilise that game genre, whereas they already have a host of franchises that are primarily platformers; Wario Land would just drown in an immutable pile.

Fingers crossed for DK.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if a Dr. Mario game came to the Switch, since Nintendo have been consistently putting new entries of the series on their consoles, and with Dr. Mario World's recent closure, I feel that now would be fairly good time for a new entry in the series.

I hope that there will be a new Mario Kart game for the series' 30th anniversary, but I have a feeling that there will just be a special tour in Mario Kart Tour to celebrate the anniversary, rather than a new game.

I think a new Mario & Sonic game would've been cool as the 2022 games take place in the same city that the 2008 games (the Olympic Games that the first Mario & Sonic game was based on) did, so Nintendo could've done something cool with that, but as WT mentioned, at this point it's a little too late.

Other than that, I'm not too sure. I wouldn't mind seeing a Captain Toad 2. It has been a while since the last DK game, who knows if the Mario & Luigi series will still continue, and in terms of Wii U ports... Maybe NES Remix? I can't think of anything else.

Kind of hard to say, we have pretty much all of the regular Mario series on Switch already (Mario vs. Donkey Kong is still missing, but does anyone really care). Probably no Mario & Sonic since the Olympics are in February so we would've had an announcement by now. I can't really see them doing any more Wii U ports either since almost all of the Mario games are either ported already or have better/comparable sequels on the Switch. (I guess Color Splash could still be ported?)

At this point I doubt it'll happen but maybe we'll finally get a new Mario Kart title. Fingers crossed for a new Donkey Kong Country. I could also see them pulling out something weird and unexpected like Treasure Tracker 2. I don't really expect any huge Mario games this year, so Odyssey 2 is off the table in my opinion.

(I'd also like to see a new Wario Land game but yeah right)
I don't think anyone cared when certain games get a follow up, but it ended up being a welcomed addition. For example, there're Clubhouse Games and Miitopia, which are both very unexpected games to bring back and I doubt anybody would care if they didn't get brought back. So even if nobody is clamouring for Mario vs. Donkey Kong to return, it wouldn't be contentious to have another entry to that series.

But yes, for the Olympic games, it is interesting that there's not a new entry announced, but I think the fact that the pandemic is going on may have messed up some plans, since one of the things that go along with those games is an arcade cabinet. Then again, maybe they just stopped doing the Winter Olympics even if it would be sweet for them to do Beijing again.

Wario Land has historically sold better than WarioWare, so a new game in the former series isn't off the table, entirely. Had to add that last bit because it would seem Nintendo, in wanting to create a singular brand identity for Wario, simply chose the glorified minigame collections to represent it since not many other franchises under their belt utilise that game genre, whereas they already have a host of franchises that are primarily platformers; Wario Land would just drown in an immutable pile.

Fingers crossed for DK.
I wonder if that has to do with how popular the previous consoles were, because it was a different time back then, when Wario Land didn't have much to compete with since the platformer games on handheld were smaller on heavy hitters. Shake It!!, one of the Wario Land games that were released post-WarioWare, did less well compared to the WarioWare game on the same system.

I recalled how there were rumours of a new Wario Land on the 3DS, but we know that didn't end up happening and is unlikely to be realised, so I have to guess that it was viewed as impractical to have it, since the 3DS didn't have much life when Mario & Luigi's second remake didn't do so well.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Dr. Mario game came to the Switch, since Nintendo have been consistently putting new entries of the series on their consoles, and with Dr. Mario World's recent closure, I feel that now would be fairly good time for a new entry in the series.

I hope that there will be a new Mario Kart game for the series' 30th anniversary, but I have a feeling that there will just be a special tour in Mario Kart Tour to celebrate the anniversary, rather than a new game.
Speaking of Dr. Mario and 30th anniversaries, Dr. Mario World also celebrated the 30th anniversary of the series by giving away some goodies in the game, and also released 8-bit Dr. Mario as a character (a character otherwise unavailable normally) in said mobile game. So I can see Mario Kart Tour doing the same.

But yes, I think Dr. Mario would be a safe bet. If they do, I really, really hope it does above and beyond what the series usually offers, because all the Nintendo devices entries have lacklustre offerings even if the gameplay is generally decent. Like for example, make more characters playable because that would have been a brilliant selling point (for a long time, this series practically has Mario playable only).

Thank you for reading.

I think we will get Luigi's Mansion 4 or something similar. Maybe a 3D or 2D platformer perhaps? I don't know. Paper Mario remake?

I predict that the year will be rather light on Mario games.

Beyond Sparks of hope.

To be fair from a business standpoint I don't think Nintendo's going to think that shutting down their Dr. Mario app because it wasn't bringing in enough money is a good time to release a new Dr. Mario game

Back