Mushroom Kingdom Smackdown

Mwahahaha... It's that time of year again! Submissions for Issue 175 are open! We're looking for the spookiest and scariest creatures that the Mushroom Kingdom has to offer this month to celebrate Halloween! Ghosts? The undead? Monsters? Magicians? Aliens? Clowns? Diabolical villains? Something completely different? Feel free to interpret this theme as broadly as you want to, no limits here!

I SIGN UP
Broozer
TO
FIGHT
IN
THE
NEXT
MUSHROOM KINGDOM SMACKDOWN!
I mean look at this guy
1631995193101.png

They're completely built for this shindig
Put'em up against any one of youze guys and they'll knock their lights out

maxresdefault.jpg

Vote Broozer, #TheyAin'tYourBoxStandardBooThey'reCompletelyBrandNew

Last edited:
MWA HA HA HAAAAAA

This Halloween...

A true terror emerges...

Feel yourself lose all sense of control. Give in to the fright...

In this newest installment of the Mushroom Kingdom Smackdown series, you'll learn...

To fear...

The Leecher.

That's right! This month, I have found you a truly frightening fighter, Waluigi Time! Need something soul-shaking? Look no further than the Grim Leecher! Now, this ghost may not seem that frightening at a glance. Besides the usual ghostly defense of invulnerability to physical attacks, does this tiny spirit even have anything going for it? It's not powerful. It has no special attacks.

...but it does have one spine-chilling ability. The Grim Leecher, you see, can possess others, interfering with their movements. Try to step to the left? You go to the right. Try to walk forwards? Find yourself all turned around as you go backwards. How could this affect other actions...? I... I don't actually know. There was this incident a while ago, and Elvin Gadd kicked me out. Dude won't talk to me, so I can't ask him ghost questions.

But surely, being possessed by the Grim Leecher is a disorienting experience, and I am sure it can use its ability to claim victory in the ring!

Oh, dear, oh me, oh my! It seems I spilled sludge in the Smackdown nomination room while scurrying to find the perfect nominee. Oh, heavens, my chance of getting into Smackdown this month is ruined!

But what if... I were to use this sludge and disguise it as my Smackdown nomination. Ohoho, Delightfully devilish, Hooded.

Good sir Time, do I have a fighter for you this month! Sitting in your nomination room, you will find the one, the only Proto Piranha, the black and white variety! Have you ever seen such a fighter? Its defensive options are remarkable! Should someone try to get close, they'll simply slip or even sink in the goop it generates and spreads outwards! Perhaps a sliding foe will even spread that Goop through the whole ring. Ohoho, but try and target it with a ranged attack, and... well, what will you accomplish? It's made of goop! It will go right through at least if it's a physical attack of some kind... Not to mention that it can retreat into its generator if it needs to!

But don't think for a moment that it lacks offensive abilities. These creatures can stretch! They can stretch far enough to return a tennis ball, at least. Who is to say they can't stretch to take a bite out of you? Oh, and lest we forget, they generate Swooping Stu and send them out to attack you and spread goop!

Why, Waluigi Time, if you'll clean up my mess for me and let me off the hook accept this fighter into the ring, you'll find it undefeatable! I can't find any water in this parched studio, at least... Oh, but don't let non-physical attacks land in its open mouth!

START
You didn't remember him until this year
You either are neutral on him
or you hate him
introducing
1635533293351.png

Foreman Spike
He can whack stuff with a hammer!
And probably some other things
but mostly whacks stuff with a hammer

Submissions for Issue 176 are closed! Read The 'Shroom! That's the shill, have a nice day.

Next month I'll be doing a test run of something that will hopefully make nominating fighters easier, so be on the lookout for that.

Submissions for Issue 177 are open! Next month's issue is all about Yoshi, so that's the theme we're going with this month! Any and all Yoshis, characters from Yoshi games, or anything else Yoshi-adjacent you can think of is eligible here.

In an effort to increase participation in the section, I'll be doing a test run of a new system this month. You can still nominate fighters as normal, but I'll also be providing some sample fighters that you can simply react to this post with if you want to see them. And if you still want to write your own post for one of these fighters, by all means, go ahead! That will increase their chances to appear in the section and be treated as several reactions.
  • Boshi - Plain old Yoshi not doing it for you? Try out this bad dino! In addition to all the usual abilities of a Yoshi, he's got some nasty looking claws, and plenty of sneaky tricks that could definitely make for an interesting match. If you'd like to see Boshi in the next match, react with Wow (😮).
  • Naval Piranha - Is a boss from the Yoshi's Island series more what you're interested in? How about this long-running foe, Naval Piranha? He's already powered up with Kamek's magic, so don't expect the match to end before it even begins this time! If you'd like to see Naval Piranha in the next match, react with Thinking (🤔).
  • Reznor - Coming in hot from Yoshi's debut game Super Mario World, Reznor will put even the strongest foes up to a tough fight in a 4v1! Paired against a fighter that can stand up to it, this would be one exciting fight. If you'd like to see Reznor in the next match, react with Angry (😠).

Hey! 'Ey! Waluigi Time! Big shot! My rising star! My gravy train to fame and fortune! Waluigi Time, my friend, I cannot belive this month's magic. I always knew you had it in you to pull this off. And now you and I, Time, baby? We're going to rocket to the stars together. You've proven yourself to me. You're enough of an entertainer that I'm ready to promote you to full partner! And that's definitely not because I got fired from the Agency after failing to deliver an actual fighter last month.

Waluigi Time, you genius, I see you're pioneering some new systems of picking fighters for the ring. Well, if you want my take, I think...

...that everyone should take a look at your picks and vote for them. It's super easy and simple. You read a couple of points, then leave one (1) reaction.

But Waluigi Time, cereal man of the stars, you know me! I know me! You aren't finding any source better at picking talent for the ring! Unless you go and pay someone at the Agency... We're partners now, so I can get you a sweet fighter sure to draw in the crowds through my exclusive contacts!

Would Honio Pitoki ever lie to you? I think not!

Can't believe I'm actually going to pawn off that bird that crazy scientist guy overfed... This guy will take anything!

Yes, Waluigi Time, let your chosen fighters look up when a shadow passes over them and quake in fear as they see Moltz the Very Goonie descending upon them!

Look, this bird can't fly. But with that heft, does it really need to? Let it crush you. Let it roll over you. Think you're safe because it's grounded? Well, let's just say that this big bird can shoot its feathers. I hear it even has control over rockets. How's that work? I don't know. Maybe you can have that, uh, Kamera, that's right, Kamera, yeah (I'm not getting paid enough to remember the names of the help) figure that out.

Offensive options are limitless, Waluigi baby! Well, it's more like four, but how many of your fights need more than that? Defenses? Puh-lease! This Goonie has girth! I hope you brought your mountain climbing gear, because you'll find this Goonie's most vulnerable point on the top of its head!

What? You say that's not a defense? That I just described it's weakness? Yeah, right! As if anyone is getting over a bird this big!

This month? Everyone is absolutely toast. When they meet my guy. Done.
Bunson the Hot dog
Able to leap in the sky like an acrobat and breath out massive spirals of flames!
Bunson will take anyone down!
1636853004475.png

Nominations and votes for Issue 177 are closed! Thank you for your participation, I'm happy to say that the test run of voting for fighters with reactions was a success and will be kept going forward. (I haven't publicly mentioned this I don't think, but big thanks to Pitohui for the suggestion.) Don't worry, we'll still be accepting individual nominations too!

Next month we'll be doing something different to mark the 1-year anniversary of Smackdown (wow, has it been that long already?), so be sure to check back for that. In the meantime, enjoy the December issue!

Quick update on the current state of Mushroom Kingdom Smackdown:

Last month I alluded that there would be some sort of user participation for Issue 178. After giving it some more thought, I've decided that in the interest of section length and narrative cohesion, I will be making some modifications to that issue's Smackdown which will unfortunately make it so that there is no room for input in the thread. I apologize if any of you are disappointed, but trust me, it's going to be a fun Smackdown, so be sure you don't miss it!

Because of this, the thread will remain closed when Issue 177 releases. Nominations and votes will reopen as normal after Issue 178 releases in January.

Alright, we're back! Hopefully you enjoyed the last couple of issues. Nominations and votes for Issue 179 are now open until January 29th (the same day applications for Graphic Design Manager close haha shameless plug, see I'm Sub-Director so I can do this now). This month, I'm feeling a theme of mechanical characters. (Shoey's not the only one who can write about battling robots, you know!) I'm not going to be too much of a stickler for what counts as "mechanical", so I'll leave it up to your discretion.

If you'd prefer not to nominate a fighter, you can vote for one of these by leaving a reaction on this post. Making full posts in support of one of these candidates is also welcome!
  • King Bob-omb - Bombs with facial hair? Sure, why not. Let King Bob-omb represent the honor of all Bob-ombs in the ring! Hopefully no one tries to throw him out of it... If you'd like to see King Bob-omb in the next match, react with Wow (😮).
  • Megahammer - Smash! Crush!! Destroy!!! Nothing says "robots in Smackdown" like a classic giant robot that obliterates everything in its path. If you'd like to see Megahammer in the next match, react with Thinking (🤔).
  • Mike - GO, GO, GO GO MIKE- sorry, got a little too into it. How about a change of pace? Mike doesn't fight with weaponry or brute force, but with karaoke! If you'd like to see Mike in the next match, react with Angry (😠).

I'm back again reporting to you
Here to bring a fighter with brawn and brain too
Get your hands together before you get clapped
As I you take through a summary of this thing and get this post wrapped
1642285351138.png

Robot Monster Troopa
Introduced in the twenty-first episode of the Super Mario Brothers Super Show, Robot Monster Koopa is a mechanical menace created by Dr.Koopenstein
It's got two deadly claw hands, which can probably do what you think they can do.
It also weighs a ton, shaking the ground with every inch it moves
It knows how to wrestle and tussle too
This is one cool bot so let'em in the ring, just give them the call Mr.Time

Back