Mushroom Kingdom Smackdown

MEANWHILE SOMEWHERE DEEP WITHIN THE CENTER OF THE EARTH OR PERHAPS IOWA THAT DEVIOUS FIEND PROFESSOR PHINEAS J SHOE PLOTS HIS NEXT MOVE
we pan into a sub terrain lair with Professor Phineas J Shoe staring into a heart shaped locket with a picture of Octopot in it
"OH MY BEAUTIFUL CREATION HOW COULD THOSE BARBARIANS IN THE SMACKDOWN SMASH YOU" Professor Shoe says as a fire roars in the background
"WORRY NOT MY DEPARTED CREATION I SHALL SEE THAT YOU ARE AVENGED" Shoe tossing the locket with in the fire
"ROSE IS OUR CREATION READY TO BE BREWED" the maniacal professor hollers out
*the camera pans over to a slight flower with a hunchback preparing two large beakers one saying Goomba the other saying Boomerang brother.
"si-si-sir it is indeed ready bu-bu-but are you su-su-sure about the composition of these creatures" the horrid creature asks nervously
Professor Shoes eye's bulge as he suddenly screams "DO NOT DOUBT ME YOU FOOL" as he grabs his poor assistant
"THIS CREATURE SHALL HAVE ALL THE ATHLETICISM OF A BOOMERANG BRO AND ALL THE LEFT AND RIGHT WALKING ABILITY OF A GOOMBA. JUST IMAGINE THE SPEED OF IT'S BOOMERANG COMBINED WITH THE MASTERY OF LEFT AND RIGHT WALKING HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"
"bu-bu-but" rose stammers out
"I SAID DO NOT DOUBT ME YOU MORONIC SIMPLETON" professor shoe says throwing his assistant to the ground
"NOW ROSE WATCH AS I CREATE THE WORLD'S GREATEST FIGHTING CREATURE WATCH ROSE AS I SURPASS GOD HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" Professor shoe laughs as he throws the switch sending chemicals into what appears to be a large pottery oven.
"YES ARISE ARISE ARISE MY GOOMERANG BROTHER"

"

Oh well. So slurp guy didn't get in. Well until he gets in, I will keep sponsoring him! He is destined to get in, I know it! Now to sponsor another guy. Poem cells, activate!

Alright, alright, I hear what you're looking for here. You need someone with variety. You need a fighter who brings something unexpected to the table with a wide variety of attacks and a hard-to-exploit weakness.

Well, don't you worry, Waluigi Time. I've got just who you're looking for.

Behold the STONE-COLD STATUE.

On every side of this beast, you never know what you're going to get. Lips, eyes, or nose? What are you getting? Who knows! It all depends on how its features are aligned. It may not move from where it stands, but it doesn't need to. Where's it looking? With all the eyes it has, that's anyone's guess. What's it going to do? Is it going to attack you from afar with a laser? Is it going to bring you in close with suction before it roasts you with flames? It's hard to say. When it has multiple features on one side, it can do any of these things.

"Stone" is right when it comes to describing its defenses! If you can't break through that triple combo of attacks and its unexpected combinations of them, you don't stand a chance. But even if you do, you have to figure out you need to attack the glowing orbs. A bit counter-intuitive, isn't it, when it has all those squishy, vulnerable eyes? Can you figure out its secret weakness before it leaves you battered and burned and scorched?

It's so mysterious, so unexpected, we don't even know why it has that antenna!

guys stop breaking the rules i haven't even opened submissions yet, you're lucky i like you people

*ahem* Well, looks like a few people have gotten ahead of me, but submissions for Issue 170 are now open! It's great to see people so enthusiastic about this section, it really means a lot to me. No specific theme this month, let the suggestions fly!

MEANWHILE LOCATED SOMEWHERE DEEP WITH IN THE AWAZON RIVER BASIN THAT EXPLORER COMMODORE FILIPE DEL SHOE AND HIS BELEAGUERED SIDEKICK PONCE DE LE ROSE CONTINUE THEIR SEARCH FOR THE PERFECT FIGHTING CREATURE
We pan into a deep jungle where Commodore Shoe is cutting vines to clear a path
"Faster Rose faster we must make great haste" he says excitingly
"Commodore wh-wh-what are we do-o-oing here again" Rose stammers out
"YOU FOOLISH FOOL" the commodore says striking rose "DO YOU NOT REMEMBER WHAT I TOLD YOU. WE ARE HERE TO FIND THE GUARDIAN OF AN ANCIENT TEMPLE AND BRING HIM TO OUR SIDE. FOR IF NEITHER AND ESTABLISHED FIGHTER NOR SCIENCE CAN WIN US MUSHROOM KINGDOM SMACKDOWN THEN SURLEY ANCIENT SPIRTS WILL BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. now tell me what does the map say?" the Commodore asks
"Oh it says that we should come upon our destination soon sir...say where did you get this map anyways?" Rose asks curiously
"Oh! I purchased it from a portly yellow hatted pl-pl-plumber? I think idk i wasn't listening the important thing is that he said it would lead us to an ancient temple where an ancient guardian lives. And we shall bring that guardian to the fold and finally get our vengeance my dear rose" The commodore says fantasying about finally avenging his many mushroom kingdom smackdown defeats.
Suddenly our two miscreants come upon their destination a giant ancient looking pyramid like structure (it could also just be a pyramid idk i'm a narrator not an archeologist)
Grabbing a piece of paper from his jacket the commodore calls out "MIGHTY TEMPLE LISTEN TO MY WORDS AND ALLOW ME TO PLUNDER YOUR GREAT RICHES. INUK CHUCK"
Upon calling out the magic world the door of the temple opens standing in the first hallway is what appears to be a giant watermelon.
"OF COURSE THIS MUST BE THE FEARSOME DIETY THAT PORTLY MAN WAS SPEAKING OF" the commodore joyously cries out as he runs to the big fruit.
A skeptical looking rose in a slightly exasperated ton simply asks "uh boss don't you think we should at least look inside the rest of the temple"
"DO NOT QUESTION ME YOU FOOL" the commodore angrily yells as he once again strikes rose "LOOK AT THIS CREATURE A FRUIT SO MASSIVE ONLY THE STRONGEST STRONG MAN COULD LIFT IT, A FEARSOME RED AND BLACK COLOR TO STRIKE DOOM IN THE HEARTS OF IT'S FOES, AND INSIDE THIS LUSCIOUS FRUIT IS..idk probably poison or something"
Rose looking at the map and noticing that it has a drawing of a creature that greatly resembles Demon Head attempts to reason with Felipe Del Shoe "but si-si-sir it looks nothing like this drawin" he tries to say before the commodore furiously slaps the drawing out of his hand
"I SAID DO NOT QUESTION ME YOU FOOL NOW GRAB THAT NET AND CAPTURE OUR NEW CHAMPION WHICH I SHALL DUB THE ANGRY WATERMELON"
Reluctantly rose complies with his bosses orders even though he's pretty sure this isn't the temple guardian
Angry Watermelon

Submissions for Issue 170 are now closed! I have a good feeling about this match, I think it's going to be a fun one.

As a heads up for those of you who like to come up with your submissions ahead of time, next month we'll be doing our first themed Smackdown based on Palette Swap! Anyone related to music or visual art is welcome, so get creative! (haha get it)

Submissions for Issue 171 are open! I'd like to reiterate that we're celebrating Palette Swap this time around, so all fighters related to music or visual art are welcome. That can include characters that are based on those art forms in some way (if you need examples, think Huey or the Mad Piano), characters who are artists or musicians, or anything else you can think of!

What's more artistic than Mario Artist: Polygon Studio? Next to nothing!

Now, you may ask, how will an N64 game fight in the ring? Well, it won't. However, the game has supplied us with weird and unique enemies, such as the one, the only...

1621103041698.png

Flying egg! I know, terrifying.

MrEraser.png

Mr. Eraser.

Erasers may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of the word "artist" or "art tool", but erasers are essential when making physical art - sketches, drawings, etc. If you make a mistake, who is there to save the day but the eraser? Mr. Eraser could make a promising fighter too - imagine the scene of him erasing his opponent!

MEANWHILE LOCATED SOMEWHERE DEEP WITHIN A MANHATTAN STUDIO APARTMENT THAT INSIDIOUS MADMAN MICHELANSHOEGO AND HIS REPLACEABLE SIDEKICK SALVAROSE DALI PREPARE THEIR NEXT EVIL PLOT.
We cut into a studio apartment where Vincent Von Shoe and his assistant Salvarose Dali are watching something similar BUT LEGALLY DISTINGUISHABLE from Bob Ross.
"Ah Salvarose painting it relaxes me so" Michelanshoego says adding a little tree to a painting of a nice forest.
"Yeah boss this sure is the life" Salvarose says painting a snowy mountain.
"Salvarose which shade of green do you think I should go with" Michelanshoego says pointing to a pallet with at least 4 different shades of green.
"Just go with what ever your heart tells you" Salvarose says adding a cabin to his picture.
"Salvarose painting with you it just leaves me content" Michelanshoego says sweetly.
"Yeah boss isn't this much better then worrying about Mushroom Kingdom Smack" Rose quickly put his hand over his mouth realizing what he said. But it was too late Michelanshoego ears perk up as he kick his canvass over replacing it with another.
"OF COURSE SALVAROSE WHY DIDN'T I REALIZE IT SOONER. IF I CAN'T CREATE THE PERFECT WARRIOR THROUGH SCIENCE OR ADVENTURE I'LL USE MY MASTERY OF PAINTING TO DO IT" Michelanshoego says evilly pulling out a jar labelled magic paint.
"Boss can't we just forget about it" Salvarose says pleading with his boss who of course ignores him.
"YES YES A LITTLE OF THIS A LITTLE OF THAT" Michelanshoego says barely even paying attention to what colors he's using
"IT IS DONE LOOK AT IT SALVAROSE LOOK AT MY MASTERPIECE." Michelanshoego says as the painting begins to moan
Salvarose looks into the painting and begins to feel weak "bo-bo-boss it's horrifying" he says pitifully.
"YES SALVAROSE ONE LOOK INTO THIS PORTRAIT AND YOU'LL LOSE 50 PERCENT OF YOUR STRENGTH AND AFTER THAT THE MADNESS WILL SET IN. IT'S PERFECT SALVAROSE NOBODY WILL BE EVER TO DEFEAT THIS PORTRAIT OF TRUE TERROR NOW QUICKLY TO THE CAR WE HAVE A FLIGHT TO ARRANGE" Michelanshoego says cackling wildly as he throws a cover over this Terrible Portrait
Terrible Portrait

ROLL OUT SAINT ANDREW'S CROSS AND LET THE PIPES BLOW!

No soul can resist this meal. No person can ignore the allure of-

What's that?

I'm misreading the cue card?

Oh, I see. Okay, well, let's try that again.

Dahlin'! Dahlin', what this Smackdown needs is spectacle! You need ART! PASSION! VISION!

And who out there has it in spades, Dahlin'?

HOGGUS

Hoggus is an artist extraordinaire, flying about in the skies, free of the concerns which weigh down the working folk. From his vantage point, he can create art which looks beyond the chains of society. Of course, in a fight, flying high up in the air gives him a distinct defensive advantage.

And his art is so lifelike you might mistake it for real pigs! No, scratch that. He'll drop real pigs on you to attack you! What a terrifying artistic offense!

Back