Joy-Con Drift™

Koopa con Carne

call me Hot Lips, 'cause i'm a one-shot wonder
MarioWiki
Koopa con Carne
Joy-Con Drift is an innovative feature in the Nintendo Switch system that allows the system itself to play any game in tandem with human players. This is done by enabling the system partial control over the analog sticks for an indefinite period of time, ensuring that players can kick back and watch as the repetitive ordeal of gaming is taken care of by machine.

Despite Nintendo's efforts to better the experiences of millions of gamers worldwide with this new feature, a few individuals have criticized it on grounds that it acts erratic and hinders their enjoyment of gaming, with several going as far as to demand Nintendo to remove the feature. With regard to this, one comment in particular noted: "How the [REDACTED] am I going to complete the Blooper-surfing missions in [Super] Mario Sunshine if the thing keeps steering to the left as I struggle to stay on the line of coins with the game's already haywire controls? Nintendo, this is unacceptable, please fix this issue for your customers ASAP!"

In response, Nintendo emitted the following statement: "The purpose of this feature is precisely to allow the Nintendo Switch system to play along with its owner and contribute to their personal achievements. As well, we find that it gives the system a life of its own, potentially increasing its sympathetic value in the eyes of players."

What are your thoughts on the Joy-Con Drift? Discuss your experiences or vent about them below!

probably the main reason i don't play handheld

I had to send my Joycons in for repairs on at least two separate occasions, first time was for both of them and the second time was for the left one.

Haven't experience any other issues since but I'm still considering investing in a pro controller.

I have drift no matter if I play in handheld or with detached controllers. 3D platformers are especially difficult to play as I have to move constantly so the character doesn't slide into a pit or enemy. And the thing understandably only gets worse as the console wears out over time.

I'm gonna preface this by saying that I don't own a Switch (and the drift is the big reason why I don't) but I think it's fucking gross how Nintendo has been selling the Switch for over three years now without fixing the issue, especially so with the Switch Lite, cause as bad as drift on the OG Switch is, at least you'd only need to send in the Joycons, not the entire system, for repair.

Like they obviously know it's a problem, so at this point it's just them deliberately selling hardware that has a major flaw to it.

All right kids, it's time for Magolor's story time!

So, with my first Switch, my left joy-con began to drift. (Shocking, I know.) So I sent it to Nintendo to get it repaired. Now, I was playing Super Kirby Clash at the time, and every time a cutscene would appear, I would take a picture of the book's dialogue. So I didn't really play the game. But two weeks later, when a box came in from Nintendo, low and behold, I got......

Another right joy-con.

There had been a mix-up, and I had to wait another two weeks. (But, I got to keep the second right one, so I guess that's a plus.)

afaik pro controllers don't get it so that's a good thing at least

Pro Controllers don't get Joy-Con drift, they get Pro Controller drift

Pro Controllers don't get Joy-Con drift, they get Pro Controller drift
yeah but as i understand it it's a far less common problem

i have drift and since theres no free repairs here afaik i just have to live with it and Suffer . thankfully its not that bad actually but i doubt id be able to play smash like this
sometimes it drifts less sometimes more. huh.

Never even tried to use Drift, Maybe I will, but I doubt it.

I just hope they repair it soon, because now even my pro controllers are starting to be affected! seriously tho, Nintendo has seen all kinds of complains about and still they didn't repair it??!

Maybe if they do make a Switch pro or whatever, they'll fix the Joy-Cons, and then the new Joy-Cons will be interchangeable with the old Switch, so all you would just have to get the new Joy-Cons and put them on your old Switch!

Reactions: zel
i just hope the future joycon models will be improved in a way so that they dont drift. im not even gonna bother buying new joycons because i know they'll inevitably drift

Haven't experience any other issues since

Just had to go and jinx it, left one is acting up again. Was playing Super Mario 64 on 3D All Stars and started randomly drifting upwards when aiming the canon during Wing Mario Over the Rainbow. Very frustrated.

fffffuuuuuckkk it's so frustrating to play sm64 and sms when you have drift. in fact, i can't complete the yoshi mission in ricco harbor because of it; you have to stay put on several small colored platforms, then jump onto another one with precision. aiming cannons and fludd is also a nightmare, as is stopping yourself in front of NPCs to talk to them.

smg isn't as hard though. i guess that makes one game playable in this collection. thank you nintendo ur so generous <3 XOXOXO

Back