Hopes for Nintendo Switch Online

Bob Craples

went out for milk
Pronouns
He/Him
A place where you post your hopes for Nintendo Switch Online! (Duh.)

My hope is that they go back to the free Nintendo Network ID or even better, just come and play multiplayer, like MKDS, MKWII and MK7.

1. Free, please.
2. If I have to keep paying, you might as well give me bonus themes besides black and white. (Anyone up for a SSBU, Tetris 99 or SMO theme?)
3. I do appreciate the retro games, though. That's not necessarily a hope, but I would like N64 on it.
4. Uh... that's, uh.... kind of it.

2. If I have to keep paying, you might as well give me bonus themes besides black and white. (Anyone up for a SSBU, Tetris 99 or SMO theme?)
I don't even know why there's even a themes option. It would make more sense if it was a switch, like on Twitter or YouTube.

- Retro games. N64 through to Wii U. And handhelds.
- Make it free
- If not free then let us play all the new games while the subscription is going. A la Xbox Game Pass.

Obviously, if it's free it would be better, because that will be the biggest obstacle cleared. If they insist that it needs to be a charged service, there should be more robust and useful features to justify the service.

1. Cloud saves are a great start, although it should ideally be for every game without exceptions (Splatoon 2 notably disallows it) and it should not use a roundabout way to restore the save like what Animal Crossing: New Horizons did.
  2. Better deals for digital games, so maybe for example those with the service could have a greater discount like from 30% to 40%, or perhaps the awarded gold coins could be increased. Vouchers are an interesting approach but it's still kind of pricey given how there's not much discount from it, and getting 2 $50 games defeat the purpose of getting it.
  3. Monthly free games, which could be something small like I guess The Stretchers or an indie game like Golf Story. I suppose since the subscription's not so pricey it might be a bit smaller-scale like a more attractive discount or just being one of the "time-limited free" games. I think what they did with Tetris 99 and Super Mario Bros 35 fall under this category, although it's obviously not monthly and those are original games with a nice hook.
  4. A greatly reduced payment if the user already has an equivalent game in their receipt before a certain date, like for example if they have already got Pikmin 3, then for a very small price they can get its Deluxe version instead of getting it at full price.
  5. It's not necessarily for me but I can see how releasing a game digitally a bit ahead of time from its release date, like maybe 4 hours if they pre-purchased it, would be welcomed for exclusively subscribers.
These ideas may not be wholly original nor it might not be the best ones, but at the very least it would justify the need to subscribe it since it's needed for online play.

Thank you for reading.

what do I gotta say, "no, I don't want it to be free"?? of course I do! I always wished it was. I want to play MM2 the normal way, (made a bunch of new levels that are waiting to be shown) I want to play smash online, and a bunch of other stuff that I really like.

They should do several things with it (these aren't hopes, these should be defaults):
  • More games and consoles available besides NES and SNES
  • More exclusive new games besides TETRIS 99 and a Mario reskin of it (I'm sure Mario 35 will be fun but come on, it's just TETRIS 99)
  • Better online servers in general
  • More online freedom (specifically ability to use online in Super Mario Maker 2 without the service)

I think we'll probably get GB, GBC, and GBA games first. Which isn't a bad thing, but it's still a shame because we'll have to wait longer for N64.

GBA isn't coming with the other GameBoy consoles, it would be like if they added DS and 3DS together, or Wii and Wii U, they're two different consoles outside of branding and backwards compatibility. Anyway I doubt we're getting N64, as there's a much higher chance they'll add GameBoy, and I don't think they'll add more consoles to the service after that.

GBA isn't coming with the other GameBoy consoles, it would be like if they added DS and 3DS together, or Wii and Wii U, they're two different consoles outside of branding and backwards compatibility. Anyway I doubt we're getting N64, as there's a much higher chance they'll add GameBoy, and I don't think they'll add more consoles to the service after that.
I know what you mean, but I still think if GB and GBC is coming, GBA is probably coming with it.

Online play and cloud saves should be free, and they should refocus their paid subscription service primarily on the retro games. Wii U had a very extensive Virtual Console service, spanning 3 home consoles, 2 handhelds, and even digital Wii games; the Switch's focus on just NES and SNES is just baffling. Even disregarding the obvious holes that still remain on the SNES library, N64 and Game Boy should be there as a minimum. The Switch is also very capable of playing GC, GBA, and even Wii games; I get not including these in the subscription but releasing these on the eShop is what I call "free money for Nintendo". I guess they don't like that very much.

You know why they don't have a good retro games selection. It's so they can make people applaud them for bundling three select old games as part of an arbitrary convenient year celebration, charging the bundle at full price, and releasing the bundle as a timed exclusive. The bundle isn't even part of NSO, you're basically paying them extra so you can play old games they have otherwise failed in their part to allow you.

Sure it's a one time payment for that bundle unlike NSO which is the equivalent of burning 20$ for no reason every year (I mean since 2017, that's already 60 bucks, a price of a new game) but think that if they had a good retro games library on the Switch, there wouldn't be as much value. They'd probably bundle those three games at a discount. We'd win. Instead in my frank opinion, I think we're losers.

Last edited:
3D World should've been discounted, as with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

I think about Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition as a port I actually liked but I think it's not a fair comparison because it has a separate 3DS release and that port marries both Wii U and 3DS ones into a good package.

Everyone is gonna hate me after I say this, but I kind of get why the online is paid. It takes money to run this stuff, and not charging anything would be throwing cash down the toilet. As much as I'd like Nintendo's online to be free, I can't say I blame them... for that. It's extremely stupid cloud saves aren't free, especially since every other company is doing it with all their games. Seriously, no cloud saves Splatoon 2? Or Pokemon Let's Go? Pokemon to a lesser extent but it was the big Pokemon game when NSO dropped. And Virtual Console. Oh boy. Nintendo is using nostalgia and our want for these old games to get more memberships! Come on Nintendo! You're better than this! I really can't believe Nintendo basically said "Oh, we've been giving the fans a great official way to play our old games for over a decade? Eh, screw that! Let's very slowly give fans games, and then all they can do is pray that we'll give them SNES, and N64, ect. ect. ect. Oh, and when we actually re-release the games they love, it'll be limited edition! And we'll absolutely destroy our chances of the kids of today discovering our old games!"

So, yeah. I'm a Nintendo fan.

It's extremely stupid cloud saves aren't free, especially since every other company is doing it with all their games.
Eh, I am definitely NOT going to be defending Nintendo here, but Sony also requires you to be subbed to PS+ in order to use cloud saves, Microsoft is the only one of the big three where you just need to have an account with XBL but you don't need a Gold sub.

Obviously, of course, both Nintendo and Sony should follow Microsoft's example here and Nintendo not allowing some games to have cloud saves is just mega-dumb with zero excuses.

Everyone is gonna hate me after I say this, but I kind of get why the online is paid. It takes money to run this stuff, and not charging anything would be throwing cash down the toilet.

You know, I'd buy this argument if the Nintendo Switch isn't a best-selling console that broke records, if Nintendo isn't a big-ass billion dollar multi-national corporation that owns the biggest IPs in video gaming, if Nintendo didn't chug along perfectly fine when the Wii, DS, Wii U, and 3DS had free online (Wii U especially with Nintendo's sluggish revenue there), if Nintendo couldn't afford to put Cloud fucking Strife and a bunch of third party IPs into Smash Ultimate, if Nintendo didn't use celebrities to advertise Mario Tennis Aces, and if its competitors didn't have their own services that Nintendo just wants to copy off of because they want to monetize their games by squeezing as much cash from their customers as they can.

Nintendo can be just as avaricious as any other triple Aiiyyy publisher, just look at their mobile outputs that follow the shitty mobile gaming trend that blatantly swindle customers of their cash by offering two subscription services (one filled with lootboxes) in Animal Crossing Pocket Camp while Mario Kart Tour is all around just shit.

So, I don't buy Nintendo pleading poverty here. I legit think they did this because it's an extra way to monetize their game that they can get away with since Sony and Microsoft have gotten away with it, the same reason Ubisoft, Activision, and EA put as much monetization as they can in their games.

Back