What would you like as a Nintendo update?

Chair

yo that's a sick chair tho
Pronouns
He/him
There's always something you want from Nintendo to change one of their systems or to upgrade them. In this thread, you can talk about your most wanted update or about things that will come to their new console. I want Nintendo to remove Nintendo switch online (because it was honestly the worst decision Nintendo did), and to put a new google system on the switch.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll ever see Nintendo (or Sony or Microsoft, for that matter) fully give up paid online because these are businesses and they're in it to make money, they're not gonna get rid of the consistent revenue stream they get from people paying for their online services. :\

Paid online is the worst thing that ever happened, that's why I didn't pay for it. I would like the switch to adopt browser features as well, so I can post here from my switch. Also would like to see some new avatars from Paper Mario: The Origami King.

i can definitely understand that they can't add anything too big like themes or menu music, but i'd like to see themes in a way, not anything too big like the 3ds had (sadly), but at least colors other than white and black. i would dig a red or blue theme honestly. they should add more softwares like netflix, google (i mean id be able to use marioboards on my switch which would be nice), what i'm saying is, it's weird that youtube is one of the only softwares like these to be on the switch. it's not the only one, but ONE OF the only ones. finally, some new user icons or little additions would be neat

Reactions: zel
Have you seen what LGM did to hers? She modded some MPSR themes on it, or, something.

I don't like paid online but I feel $20/year is fair for the other services offered in the subscription. Just a little disappointed that its main features aside from online (cloud saves and classic games) required the removal of other, perhaps better features from previous consoles (SD card saves, Virtual Console). And the online itself isn't much of an improvement of Nintendo WFC and Nintendo Network. $20 a year isn't a lot to ask, but the Switch definitely made compromises to allow for a paid online service. Maybe it'll be better on the next console.

Anyway, love the constant avatar updates but I do miss the 3DS Home Menu themes, I'd like to see something like that on Switch. Also folders, because the Switch Home Menu really needs more organization options. Don't quite understand the lack of apps in general either, like the Switch doesn't even have an Internet browser despite Wii/Wii U/DSi/3DS all having one. Maybe it's just piracy concerns. I don't know.

And please, if you're not going to release these classic games separately from the online subscription, add some way to put N64, GCN, GB, and GBA games on Switch at the least. Wii U had a very robust VC catalog and could play games from almost every Nintendo console generation. Where is that on Switch? Don't you think you'd get more money if you released these games separately from the service? Heck, I'd pay more for your service if it means these games on Switch. I don't think it will happen. But it should, and I don't understand why it's not here.

Oh yeah, and I'm still waiting for Nintendo Selects. You had no problem selling $20 games on your previous systems...why wait so long to put it on Switch?

And also where are my LM3 profile icons? We got some for NSMBUDX for crying out loud!
I think you mean New Super Power Ninja Turbo Neo Ultra Hyper Mega Multi Alpha Meta Extra Uber Prefix Mario Bros U Deluxe.

I want a fucking proper Virtual Console system, and don't dripfeed us games over months and months. Nintendo hates piracy, yes? Make your games easy to get. And also, let us keep our games in our Nintendo accounts rather than purchasing over and over and over again. Damn you.

And you know, even if they keep their legacy service to NES and SNES, the latter still has a long way to go before it can be considered complete. Like, only just recently was DKC1 added--where are the other two? How about Mario RPG, Earthbound, or any other RPGs oddly missing for a console pretty much known for them? And yes, Nintendo...I'm still waiting for an overseas release of the SNES version of Kirby's Star Stacker.

~ More variety in menu themes beyond the basic light and dark themes.
~ Free online multiplayer. (Probably won't happen because money but would've still been nice.)
~ Virtual console.
~ More variety in icons.
~ Eshop music. (Not mandatory but would be cool.)
~ More detailed activity log similar to the 3DS one.

Last edited:
I think the most frustrating part about the lack of a VC on the Switch is I'd have assumed that Nintendo introducing a proper account system with the Wii U (and then letting you connect an account to the 3DS later on) meant that they'd no longer be doing a drip-feed or starting over thing, you'd just have all your VC games you bought on the Wii U/3DS available on their future systems at launch.

Virtual Console should exist.

also having to pay for course world in SMM2 is a dissappointment when i didn't have to do that in SMM1.

I remember when Switch Online launched I had only one thought on my mind: "I'd better finish my Mario Odyssey coin grinding before Balloon World becomes paid!"

...Balloon World never became paid.

I don't like paid online but I feel $20/year is fair for the other services offered in the subscription.

Please do not make apologies for this. The other "services" in this package are things that are pushed onto the customer and cannot be opted out of, even if said customer just wants to play games with their friends and nothing else. You can't justify the price tag of a thing with extras that have nothing to do with what the customer is primarily after. That shit's immoral. What you're really paying for is the removal of an arbitrary barrier between the switch and your router, and nothing more. I already pay for my internet. It is a scam.

The price being relatively low (relatively, because in my opinion $20 is still a tall order for "basically nothing") is little consolation as well. Sure, it's great that Nintendo isn't being AS greedy as its competitors, but they're still being greedy and do not deserve gratitude for that. It'd be like being thankful for only having dirt rubbed in your face, because they could have used broken glass instead.

This type of scam is prevalent and has been going on in my home country for years. There's an institution called the GEZ here that bills citizens for the right to watch official channels on TV. It doesn't matter if you actually watch them or not (they have no way of checking), you pay for the mere opportunity. If you own a TV or a device with TV capabilities (such as a PC), you are eligible for billing. This applies even if your TV is disconnected or broken. You can't have the channels removed either, they come by default. You cannot opt out of it. They also run guilt-trippy ads reminding you to pay, saying things like "If you don't pay us, you are literally like someone who doesn't pay at a restaurant" and painting you like a criminal.

Maybe we are powerless to stop corporations and institutions from doing this. But NEVER just blindly accept, let alone excuse the fact that you're being taken advantage of. When a company shits in your face, don't get on your knees and ask for seconds. A scam is a scam, let's call it what it is.

besides, that's what perpetual paying models aim to do. you think, oh it's only like 20 bucks a year but combined with bazillions of perpetual payment subscription services across the net, that shit easily adds up, to the point where many people are subscribed to services they don't even use.

it's one of the reasons microtransactions are extremely lucrative for companies. you don't see the bill you get whenever you spend minor amounts on fake currencies to get you ahead. only when you go to your back account and start adding things do you start to realize jesus christ did i really spend over 100 on this free to play shit mobile game?

Oh, believe me, I'm not trying to defend Nintendo here. It's just that, as a customer, this is the only way I have to access these features, lackluster as they may be. I cannot justify Nintendo's greed at all, but the simple truth is that no matter how much I or anyone else protests against it, nothing will change. I'm just trying to take what I can get, and $20 a year is manageable for that.

the simple truth is that no matter how much I or anyone else protests against it, nothing will changre

actually, if enough people get pissed off at the companies, they WILL change. look at how the xbox one was originally supposed to be, there was a gigantic shitshow on how there's always online-drm in the console which also killed used games, guess what, microsoft abandoned that plan. look at star wars battlefront ii, enough people got pissed off at ea that the word lootbox is dirtied in the industry and the publishers now have to think twice before applying it. the point is, it's not impossible for companies to back off with their shit and we shouldn't let the abusive corporations continue making games and services worse, letting them slowly extract every penny out of us.

actually, if enough people get pissed off at the companies, they WILL change. look at how the xbox one was originally supposed to be, there was a gigantic shitshow on how there's always online-drm in the console which also killed used games, guess what, microsoft abandoned that plan. look at star wars battlefront ii, enough people got pissed off at ea that the word lootbox is dirtied in the industry and the publishers now have to think twice before applying it. the point is, it's not impossible for companies to back off with their shit and we shouldn't let the abusive corporations continue making games and services worse, letting them slowly extract every penny out of us.
I mean, with Switch Online it's a little different. It's been around for almost two years now, has sold incredibly well in that time, and let's be honest, this is Nintendo we're talking about. When a company places paywall restrictions on you, there are only two options: either pay to have said restrictions removed, or don't pay and endure the restrictions. There is no "fight" option; if they don't have your money, they don't care because they have the money of millions of others. You could tell me "well don't be one of them!" but that puts me in the second group, the one that endures the restrictions. There were almost two years after Switch Online was announced that we could fight. We've long since lost.

No one likes Switch Online. But any effort to protest at this point is entirely in vain. I can stop paying--and unless they have some big shake-up in the next few months, I probably will--but who's to stop the 20+ million other subscribers from doing the same? This is the only way to have any real online play, back up save data, and play retro games on Switch. Giving all that up for the sake of a vain protest and a $20 bill...it's just not worth it.

Now, like I said, I probably won't be renewing my subscription for other reasons--without a big shake-up of some kind, I've pretty much experienced everything the service has to offer--but this protest won't amount to anything. It's unfortunate, but it's also fact. I'd love to be proven wrong. But it just won't happen.

actually, if enough people get pissed off at the companies, they WILL change.

This is the crux of the situation. There have to be enough people, and they have to be suitably pissed off for long enough to exert enough pressure.

Unfortunately, the situation we live in these days makes this a rarity. Video game consumer temperament flares intensely, but burns out almost as quickly as it started and doesn't end up amounting to anything. What's more, you've got a bunch of whiners among them who will cry "ugh, stop beating a dead horse, just move on" if a legitimate issue keeps getting brought up past an arbitrary "expiration date", regardless of whether the issue's actually been addressed in any shape or form. The result of this is a self-defeating consumer culture where the dumbest members of the herd will actively rail against and silence those trying to make a positive change in the status quo. It's the ultimate company wet dream, where a self-regulating, self-defeating mob happily funnels itself into the slaughterhouse while all the executives have to do is hold out a net to catch the falling wallets.

Like, no, don't move on from something that sucks just because two weeks have passed. Keep shoving it back in the company's face until they have no choice but to smell it. If we could do that as a collective, shit like unnecessary subscriptions, loot boxes, day 1 DLC, season pass scams, etc. would not be a thing, because they wouldn't be viable. But we're too aimless and busy fighting amongst ourselves to do it, so those things exist, and will continue to exist until we collectively grow enough common sense and willpower to stop supporting them.

Or more likely, until the AAA game industry collapses under its own weight, which frankly, is probably soon.

I am kind of curious about how well the Nintendo Switch Online would fare if it's like PS3 and I think PS Vita, wherein the service is not essential for online play, but it's mainly for other features such as cloud saves or free games (note that PS4 and presumably PS5 made the subscription mandatory for online). I know for sure that I am unlikely to use it, although I will surely not be able to sample the NES and SNES games online, nor take advantage of cloud saves.

Something I would like for the Switch is a way to group friends. For example, I want to be able to group people who joined as Mario Boards community members, or another that is more for other online forums.

The ship has sailed unfortunately, but I would have appreciated if if Nintendo provide some bonuses for Wii U owners when it comes to Switch, especially when it comes to digital stuff. Like I guess a bigger discount for the ports they like to put out.

I remember when Switch Online launched I had only one thought on my mind: "I'd better finish my Mario Odyssey coin grinding before Balloon World becomes paid!"

...Balloon World never became paid.
It should be noted that for Nintendo games that will become paid before the Online Service started, there's a disclaimer on the game case about this (e.g.: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Mario Tennis Aces, Splatoon 2). I knew that Super Mario Odyssey's Balloon World is exempt from this (despite being online featured) due to the lack of such a disclaimer.

Thank you for reading.

Well Balloon World was part of an update, so I don't think it would show on the box anyway.
It is part of an update, true, but I imagine that if it would be part of the paid online subscription, the disclaimer would be there to begin with. Though maybe there is a point to be had, in that this feature was not ready in time so they had to either make it free or to update the case (and they elected to make it free).

Thank you for reading.

Back