Pro-naon-s

Mags

Me and my pencil
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Magolor04726
After listening to the trailer for Origami King again, I heard the narrator/announcer dude say Kamek's name. He said it Ka-mek, with emphasis on the first part of the name. I always pronounced it Ka-mek, with emphasis on the second syllable. So I wondered, how do you guys pronounce these names?

Another thing that always got me was Lakitu. I always said La-ki-too, but I've heard La-ki-too as well. And Melee. That always got me. I always said Mee-lee, not May-lay.

i pronounce it kamek and just. flip flop on lakitu. the mkt lakitu vids (did we only ever get three? sad) thing say lakitu iirc so thers that

I say both Kamek and Lakitu. However when I was little I would always pronounce Yoshi with a short O rather than a long O (Yah-shee rather than Yoh-shee), and when I heard a friend use the latter pronunciation it was like a new revelation to me.

i pronounce it kamek and just. flip flop on lakitu. the mkt lakitu vids (did we only ever get three? sad) thing say lakitu iirc so thers that

Isn't stress like super important in Russian or something?

Also, English is dumb so that's why some people pronounce the same words differently.

Also, Zelen, why is Yoshi called "Йоши" rather than "Ёши"? Where's the stress, btw? Is he called "Yaw-she" or "Yo. She."?

Here's a good one: Ukiki. Is it:

oo-ki-ki,

ah-ki-ki

or

you-ki-ki?

I always pronounce it "you-ki-ki" in my head, it sounds natural in an English-written context as opposed to the more phonetic "oo-ki-ki" pronunciation. Therefore, reading the phrase "an Ukiki" on the wiki always feels awkward.

Ukiki is the correct one and that's the one I default to anyway, even as a native English speaker. I think the Japanese characters points to that, as well as the Russian translation (I can't read Japanese characters be it hiragana or katakana but I can read Russian cyrillic). If it was pronounced "you kee kee", the Russian translation would have been Юкики instead of it Укики.

i pronounce ukiki you ki ki myself
Also, Zelen, why is Yoshi called "Йоши" rather than "Ёши"? Where's the stress, btw? Is he called "Yaw-she" or "Yo. She."?
ёши juts looks stupid though pronounced pretty similar. йоши is closer to the og pronunciation. pretty sure its yo she as well

What's weird is whenever I see, say, Yossy or Yoster Isle, I start pronounicing it as "Yaw See" rather than "Yo-See". I don't know why.

Probably because it has a similar word structure to Bossy and Foster, both use the aw sound.

You-kee-kee.
Mah-ree-o
Here's something: Luigi.
I always say Loo-ee-gee, unless it comes out Wee-gee.

I used to pronounce like this:
Meh-rio, Yaw-shi, Kay-mek, Luh-kee-too
But after heard their names in trailers, I pronounce them like this:
Mah-rio, Yoh-shi, Kah-mek, Lah-ki-too

That sounds like something he might do... but only if enough people called him that.

I pronounce it Kameek, with emphasis on the E and Lakitu with emphasis on the I.

My mother and oldest brother have issues with pronouncing Mario's name. The former pronounces it as Mareio and the latter pronounces it as Mohrio.

I've also heard 2 different pronunciations for Wario and Waluigi and I don't know which is correct

Wahrio

Wario

Wahluigi

Walluigi

I pronounce it as the latter for both. It just sounds more natural than "wah" in my opinion.

I've also heard 2 different pronunciations for Wario and Waluigi and I don't know which is correct

Wahrio

Wario

Wahluigi

Walluigi

I pronounce it as the latter for both. It just sounds more natural than "wah" in my opinion.
What's the difference? I'm saying it out loud, but they sound the same.

Some people say Worio and that just sounds incorrect in every way.

I'm not 100% sure how Dimentio is pronounced. Is it Diment-io or Dimen-chio? I first started pronouncing it the former, but later questioned that and decided it's most likely the latter, but even later after Man on the Internet's videos pronounce it with the former I'm unsure again.

I'm not 100% sure how Dimentio is pronounced. Is it Diment-io or Dimen-chio? I first started pronouncing it the former, but later questioned that and decided it's most likely the latter, but even later after Man on the Internet's videos pronounce it with the former I'm unsure again.
as i kid i'd pronounce it Die-men-tea-oh

Back