Water levels and why they suck in Mario

Oh boy, have I things to say about Water in Zelda tho. I was playing Zelda Ocarina of Time today and guess what dungeon I just finished?

Water Temple. I don't hate it but oh god the problems are so real. Having to constantly switch boots, going to specific locations to change the water level many times, and it the confusing aspect of it... I wanna like it, but I can't... at least the boss was hilariously easy. But yeah, it's possible to make good water levels because weirdly enough, the issues are usually really simple and easy to work around.

water water everywhere and not a drop to drink

does it count that i like water sections in the Metroid series? because their whole gimmick is "fuck your movement and visibility until you get the right powerup and then Water Is Air" so they are only a frustrating roadblock for a limited time

Oh boy, have I things to say about Water in Zelda tho. I was playing Zelda Ocarina of Time today and guess what dungeon I just finished?

Water Temple. I don't hate it but oh god the problems are so real. Having to constantly switch boots, going to specific locations to change the water level many times, and it the confusing aspect of it... I wanna like it, but I can't... at least the boss was hilariously easy. But yeah, it's possible to make good water levels because weirdly enough, the issues are usually really simple and easy to work around.
Maybe the 3DS remake made it so much easier with equipping and unequipping boots I didn't have much of a problem. I don't recall hating the water temple, but there's a lot of backtracking and stuff and wandering around a lot. Can't say it's any worse than the Forest Temple, which I did the same thing.

water water everywhere and not a drop to drink

does it count that i like water sections in the Metroid series? because their whole gimmick is "fuck your movement and visibility until you get the right powerup and then Water Is Air" so they are only a frustrating roadblock for a limited time
My only experience is watching a playthrough in Metroid Prime but in that one, water isn't all that much different than walking around at least once with the powerups. I do recall there's an atmosphere to the water levels, which usually are water level strengths, but again, Prime is an overall atmospheric game.

in prime before you get the powerups your visibility, movement height, and movement speed are all severely cut

2d metroid is just movement

fun fact if you sequence break just right in super metroid you can get yourself softlocked in the water zones

Tropical Freeze is on par with Rayman Legends in swimming controls, and the Wii version of Jungle Beat comes at a close second. Come on people, they're Mario-related and this is the first mention of them on this thread. All of these games show that to make a fun water level you need to give the player as much mobility as possible, so that it makes them feel like they're floating through aether rather than fighting to stay out of quicksand. Which is funny because you control Mario through quicksand almost the same as you would in water LOL

The water levels in Crash are super slow and don't function that good. Plus, the weapon you use to shoot at enemies with isn't very accurate with its aiming. And by water levels, I don't mean the jet ski levels in Crash 3 or the surfboard levels in Crash 2. Just the actual levels where Crash swims. Got it?

Anyone who says water zones in Sonic are bad, is forgetting that Hydrocity is in fact a zone that exists.

Not perfect. Great atmosphere but it I feels like you just spindash a lot to get up rather than actually swimming or avoiding obstacles, and the sections without water can get plain at times.

But Labyrinth Zone is so bad that I don't mind Hydro City's flaws. I also get distracted by the kick ass background music.

You I am curious what an underwater FE level would be like. They could just make it like a desert map but more draggy (i.e. lower movement cuts, opaque fog of war a la FE5, etc...) but if not, then it could also be innovative. There already is water in a lot of maps (that pirates can walk on and fliers just laugh at) but not like, underwater.

I'll admit that most Kirby water levels are just...okay, but they're leaps and bounds over what Mario has.

The thing about water levels is that they render most abilities moot and you're stuck with a basic squirt. Still, it's not too bad, it could be worse. Kirby's Epic Yarn has the best water levels. I forgot if Planet Robobot had dedicated uses for the robot underwater though.

Also Kirby controls decently underwater. You have full control of his movements, and it's easy to control him, so yeah. There's that. The main problem with 2D Mario is that each "hop" will go a certain distance upward and once it's initiated there's no way the stop it, so sometimes one mistake leads you to get damaged. Kirby swims like if Mario had a permanent frog suit.

Yeah, I had a lot of fun in underwater Kirby levels. It's just that if you lose your ability underwater, you can't get it back, which is especially a pain in NiDL/Amazing Mirror/Squeak Squad where you lose your ability with every hit.

I have yet to play Epic Yarn so I've never experienced its water levels. Sounds like I've missed out.

Back