Are Mario and Metal Mario separate entities?

Cell

Perfect
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
So, here's something I noticed, it seems to be accepted that Mario and Metal Mario are different people, same with Peach and PGP, however, is there really anything confriming this?

For comparison, supposely a Mario and Sonic game mentions Dry Bowser being a separate being than Bowser (Well most of the time), however, with Mario and Baby Mario being playable in the same game at the same time, there doesn't seem to be as many cases of people making them out to be separate characters, why is this treated differently?

This is why I feel like Robo Mario should be the "metallic Mario" playable separately from Mario, he's pretty much the same thing but cooler-looking and not confusable with Mario himself under a power-up. Baby Mario is explainable via time travel as seen in Partners in Time, but the power-up forms make no sense as separate characters, same with Dry Bowser (unless Bowser time traveled to the brief period he didn't have his skin in NSMB and recruited himself from then for some reason)

Though to be fair, i would go ballistic if Mr. L ever got added so it's a bit hypocritical to criticize Dry Bowser as he does invoke a different aura than regular Bowser. But I still think things like Mr. L and Dry Bowser make more sense as roster additions than power-up forms, since their only difference is in the gameplay of the game they're from and they can't use their "power" in Mario Kart anyway, that's what items are for. PGP is even worse since she never was even a power-up.

I love how in Dr. Mario World, he's called Dr. Baby Mario, not Baby Dr. Mario. Drives home how I see Baby Mario as his own thing.

maybe its kinda implied with him getting different catchprases like mia mama? he feels more smug to me too though maybe its just the artworks and wasnt really intended 🤷

Only in games that have no plot. AKA Mario Kart.

Since there isn't a verified answer, it's my headcanon that Metal Mario (Character) is a discarded Metal Mushroom that retained Mario's form despite Mario no longer being fused with it.

Metal Mario will always be a different entity for Mario to me. He says "Mia Mama".

I'd say Metal Mario is just Mario after acquriing the Metal Cap, just like Raccon Mario, and Fire Mario are Mario with power ups.

I definitely think the Metal Mario from the spin-offs such as Mario Kart and what not is a different entity than the Metal Mario form from 64 unlike the likes of Tanooki Mario and Ice Mario, considering stuff such as the aforementioned MK7 profile list him as being a rival to Mario and what not.

I do agree that I would much prefer Robo Mario as the go-to Mario doppelgänger over Metal Mario. Same general concept of a heavier, metallic Mario doppelgänger, but executed in a much more interesting and fun way than Metal Mario, which is essentially just dunking Mario in Metal paint, giving his voice a weird filter and calling it a day.

Last edited:
If Metal Mario can be treated as separate in the eyes of many people, and that certain types of Mario are treated as different such as Dr. Mario, then Cat Mario should be treated as a different Mario also. After all, Cat Mario has his own show and has a different voice actor (even in the English videos) despite the fact that Martinet is still alive.

Thank you for reading.

Back