Circulated rumor of content for Super Mario Bros.'s 35th Anniversary

They will do something about this year, that is for sure, but one thing I see being brought up that I doubt would happen is a new Paper Mario that supposedly celebrates Mario's 35th anniversary. Why? Because it's Intelligent Systems who is in charge of the series. And why is that a problem? Well... another big series made by Intelligent Systems celebrates its 30th anniversary this year as well. If they're gonna focus on one it would definitely be that one more than a Mario spinoff that Nintendo is already gonna provide things for the main series anyway.

guys, look at the date. these rumours started a few days before april fools. there's no way nintendo is going to release 5+ mario games in the same year.

*patiently waits to be proved wrong*

Which series is this?

Fire Emblem.

I think at this point in time Intelligent Systems has that as their priority over Paper Mario, but it could still go either. I'm just saying that if Mario has a major event and all that don't get your hopes up that much about a new Paper Mario, much less one that returns to the old style.

guys, look at the date. these rumours started a few days before april fools. there's no way nintendo is going to release 5+ mario games in the same year.

*patiently waits to be proved wrong*
If you're a video game company currently having emergency meetings to decide whether you should do your truly hilarious April Fool's joke this week, let me make it easy for you: Absolutely not

So, this looks more likey with the Paper Mario part of the rumor coming true.
I also believe the same leaker said we're getting content that was supposed in July direct on Thursdays, so, yeah

To be fair, Paper Mario could've been predicted since it's nearly a full development cycle since Color Splash.

So we are now in august, a month away from the actual anniversary and still no signs of that collection or really...much of anything related to Mario's 35th.

Sighs... While I definitely like to be proven wrong and I understand the pandemic has fucked things up big time, at this point in time, I'm starting to think this Mario anniversary collection or remasters are just a bunch of balony that just so happen to catch on (not the first time a fake leak has done so) and Nintendo has no big plans to celebrate Mario's 35th anniversary this year considering they hadn't really done anything for or even really acknowledge the anniversary at all outside of a calender and a t-shirt line-up.

Edit: Well this post has aged well Lolololo.

Last edited:
There's just a radio silence from everything Nintendo this entire year (beyond Paper Mario, that's a big one this year) but I'm going to be charitable and guess the pandemic has been disruptive to how things are run. They weren't all that hypey in 2019 and I thought they were building for 2020 but I guess 2020 just screwed that over, huh?

I think at most there'll probably be a Switch port of 3D World, some e-shop releases of the SNES Mario games that aren't online yet, and N64 Mario games if Nintendo feels like it.

Even if these remasters turn out to be just a myth, I'll gladly pay more for Switch Online if it means portable N64 games.
I heard someone say N64.

But if they do make 64 online. What games do you think they would put? I'd put on: Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazzoie, Goldeneye 007, Super Smash Bros., Paper Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, The Legend Of Zelda OOT and MM.

Knowing Nintendo they probably wouldn't put an M-rated game in a collection like this

psst goldeneye 64 isn't m-rated

Licensing issues is probably the main issue it wouldn't be part of the lineup, not because of its rating, which is honestly an arbitrary criteria.

Back