Elements from other franchises you would put in the series

Cell

Perfect
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
It's okay to share, you know, good growth comes from admitting that some things do better with stuff than you do, so if you were to include something in the Mario series, which would it be?

I think the key thing Mario is missing is banjo music, banjo music up the butt, it can really help give life to more levels about plains or forests, I noticed this after listening to Banjo Kazooie's music, maybe not all the time, but it can work in small doses

Cutscenes in the style of Puyo Puyo's cutscenes where the characters interact. It's simple, but it has a lot of enjoyable things like dialogue and character expressions. Of note is that Dr. Mario 64 did have this, but I would like to extend this to the Super Mario series, or even Mario Party series. The closest we got are Fortune Street's character conversations.

Thank you for reading.

We could implement Kirby or Zelda DLC in a Mario game. I mean, Sonic Lost World did the same thing with Zelda and Yoshi.

A gun.

A REAL gun.

Feel the EDGE

Won't be the first time Mario used a gun, as Mario threatened Bowser at gunpoint using a gun as his family heirloom.

-An open world with the same amount of size and detail as Los Santos from Grand Theft Auto V.
-Requiring additional pylons to build buildings in a Mario RTS game from Starcraft.
-The most peaceful person in Mushroom Kingdom being happy to use nukes from Civilization V.
-Make the Dolphins actual selectable scout units in that hypothetical Mario RTS and make them use sonic pulses to destroy things from Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 and 3
-Elaborate vehicle destruction sequences implemented in Mario Kart from the Burnout series.
-Full blown out vehicular warfare complete with cars toting Gatling guns implemented into Mario Kart from Full Auto series.
-Aging your opponents to death in Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time using the Time Manipulation Device invented by E. Gadd from Singularity.
-Being able to use your favorite Mario character and hack a variety of Mario enemies to death in an overhead style with level up mechanics and loot from the Diablo and Torchlight series.
-Have a first person shooter game with a guided missile launcher, like the Sentinnel from 007: Nightfire (and any other game series that use a weapon like it)
-Have a first person shooter game where you just mindlessly kill things with your guns, like Doom and Serious Sam.
-Make Luigi's Mansion's Scarescraper have more cooperative incapacitation and resource sharing elements. Have 4 playable bots that help you out and follow you around at the cost of more ghosts and more dangerous boss like ghosts. Have the ghosts actually be playable and cooperate to kill Luigis. Like Left 4 Dead 2.
-Merge a Mario sports game with a Mario Kart game, like say, Rocket League.
-A Mario character creation system on the same level as Spore's creature creation.
-Have Mario RPGs have side-quests the same amount as...well most RPGs out there (let's just use Tales of Symphonia as an example).
-If Mario has to use a post-apocalyptic environment like say the destroyed Sammer's Kingdom and Beanbean Castle Town, make the set pieces as desolate and quiet as Metro 2033 and don't play this overly dramatically stupid sad music like they did in Beanbean Castle Town.

command and conquer-style live action fmvs

Story.

Just. Care about it more. World/universe building too. That's one thing I know other franchises, yes even platforming/cartoony ones, have done, yet Mario is constantly terrified of delving too deep into it. This is the franchise I grew up with, the characters and the universe I've become invested in, and to see it not taken seriously at all aside from a few times that are considered exceptions, kind of burns. I could go into TTYD and SPM's lore and fanboy over it, most Mario games I can't do that with. I don't mean go edge up the ass, but I also think the furthest they've gone, Super Paper Mario, still hadn't reached that point. Keep wacky cartoony colorful scenarios but have more context than "oh no badguy did a bad thing, dun dun DUN go right and jump sometimes idk, don't expect much of an ending either"

Odyssey was definitely a step in the right direction. I'd also tolerate the relative lack of story if Nintendo at least advertised and promoted the more story-driven ones half as much as they do the main series. But when it does, they often still don't mention much story at all. I went into both TTYD and Super Paper Mario expecting a silly, mildly-entertaining game that I'd forget about after the first playthrough. I came out like a kid coming out of a cinema who won't shut up about the movie they just saw. I never expected that out of a Mario game until I experienced it, and I want more of it.

Hailing Taquitos said:
to see it not taken seriously at all aside from a few times that are considered exceptions, kind of burns.

It's almost as it's not supposed to be.

Respawning at the beginning/checkpoint of the level rather then having to wait for the map to load, then waiting for the level to load just to continue with the level after you die. If I want to leave the level after dying I can just use the pause menu.

Glowsquid said:
command and conquer-style live action fmvs

It has to have Tim Curry in them too.

Mcmadness said:
Hailing Taquitos said:
to see it not taken seriously at all aside from a few times that are considered exceptions, kind of burns.

It's almost as it's not supposed to be.

I feel like when we get situations like taking Mario seriously, we'll end up with stuff like Kingdom Hearts. And I'd rather have no plot at all than whatever gibberish Kingdom Hearts characters spew out of their mouths.

Idk but the way FawfultheGreat64 worded it, it sounds like he'd be right at home with the Kirby series. They tend to do more..."serious"...? stuff than Mario like in Planet Robobot or Star Allies where stuff like the universe is at stake. And it's typically an even cutsier series than Mario at most points.

I feel like the Mario series could get dark, like with the Shroobs sucking out the vim from the Toads to fuel their ships or Peach stuck with that Shroob mushroom on her face and pulling that down but even then...did it really took itself that seriously? Like no characters in the present really gave a shit what's going on in the past aside from characters who just cared that Peach was missing. Baby Mario and Baby Luigi don't seem to freak out over the Shroobs at all unless they're directly threatened by them like getting attacked by them in the Koopa Cruiser. Even during that aforementioned Peach mushroom scene, Bowser kidnapped her anyway.

Mario & Luigi is the same series after all that saw Luigi wearing a dress, a French stereotype with an exaggerated Maurice Chevalier accent, and the weird Luiginess of Dream Team, and that series was advertised heavily as comedy as well, which I feel like is the Mario series strong point.

I think the said can be same for Paper Mario, but I feel like it does other things in the comedic route than what Mario & Luigi did. I think the original Paper Mario plot was a pretty great execution of a Mario plot. It was Peach gets kidnapped by Bowser but at the time, the way it was done just felt...interesting, along with the world building and stuff. I liked it more than TTYD because the original Paper Mario still felt strictly like a Mario environment, whereas in TTYD it drifted away from that with Creepy Steeple and Glitz Pit and all that jazz.

Yeah those kinds of things are what I'm talking about, don't lose the Mario silliness just don't be afraid to develop your worlds and characters and scenarios :P Though I don't think TTYD or even SPM went far enough to not be considered Mario. If they never created new species or worlds there would be stagnation. Huge reason I find the most recent (non-remake) RPGs so boring. Yay! I get to beat up more very familiar enemy species and get Peach back from Bowser! Oh, yay I get to do exactly that again! Yay. Yay... .... yayyyy....

I kinda wish I had played more Kirby games as a kid since I only played the original and the GBA Nightmare in Dreamland. But yeah, I still find getting into these things now more difficult now that I've spent such a long period of time almost exclusively invested in Mario :P

Also speaking of Kingdom Hearts, I actually like the concept of that from what little I know. Taking classic cartoon characters and doing some sort of connected-universe with lore and stuff. Not a fan of the anime styled characters but hey. Still would probably struggle getting into it because I'm just like that with video games.

Baby Luigi said:
It has to have Tim Curry in them too.

That would be difficult since he can't walk anymore.

Hailing Taquitos said:
Story.

Just. Care about it more. World/universe building too. That's one thing I know other franchises, yes even platforming/cartoony ones, have done, yet Mario is constantly terrified of delving too deep into it. This is the franchise I grew up with, the characters and the universe I've become invested in, and to see it not taken seriously at all aside from a few times that are considered exceptions, kind of burns. I could go into TTYD and SPM's lore and fanboy over it, most Mario games I can't do that with. I don't mean go edge up the ass, but I also think the furthest they've gone, Super Paper Mario, still hadn't reached that point. Keep wacky cartoony colorful scenarios but have more context than "oh no badguy did a bad thing, dun dun DUN go right and jump sometimes idk, don't expect much of an ending either"

Odyssey was definitely a step in the right direction. I'd also tolerate the relative lack of story if Nintendo at least advertised and promoted the more story-driven ones half as much as they do the main series. But when it does, they often still don't mention much story at all. I went into both TTYD and Super Paper Mario expecting a silly, mildly-entertaining game that I'd forget about after the first playthrough. I came out like a kid coming out of a cinema who won't shut up about the movie they just saw. I never expected that out of a Mario game until I experienced it, and I want more of it.
I don't think Mario is "terrified" of delving into story, Mario simply doesn't care for the story. Honestly, any time story is tried in video games, for me, they end up being forgettable and easily cast aside. Mario just isn't the franchise that's going to have an interesting story, that's all, it's just not the appropriate medium. As much as I like to see some whackass mature layered stuff in a Mario game for the shits and giggles, it's just not happening. And I don't really like anything less than that, they often just end up either being something I cast aside or just being so bad they can detract from the game. I saw videos trying to explain Kingdom Hearts plot details and it's a bunch of gibberish (not to mention the game title chronology), but they play it so painfully straight such as repeating "darkness" and "hearts" so many times.

Some of this I think reminds me of Super Paper Mario. Given how they handled Super Paper Mario's story, I can only imagine they are capable of much, much worse. Mario games are so... elegant... compared to that tripe.

I just think personally that if you're a fan of story in video games... then why the hell are you latching onto Mario when there are many great Nintendo franchises that do go heavy on both story and gameplay.

I just like Mario because it plays nice. There really ain't all that much deep reasoning to it. Just because Mario has delved into stories once in RPGs doesn't mean it will do it regularly. Even Mario Galaxy doesn't have that deep of a story, but the way the story has been twisted this time was excellent to me...

Even though it's ripped straight from Paper Mario, you know, with the whole... castle-lifting thing?

Isabelle said:
I just think personally that if you're a fan of story in video games... then why the hell are you latching onto Mario when there are many great Nintendo franchises that do go heavy on both story and gameplay.

I've been saying this for years but then I get accused of "wanting the series to stay the same"

Which is horse shit as adding plot is not the only way a video game can change or evolve.

I mean...

Don't try to fix what's not broken.

Isabelle said:
or franchises outside nintendo

but uh yeah i cant really fathom wanting to exclusively play mario while simultaneously caring so much about story when theres a ridiculous amount of games which handle the story aspect much better than mario does/will/could/should. mario is a series i play when i just want some fun platforming action. if i want a convoluted and intriguing story there's always stuff like metal gear or assassin's creed or zelda or danganronpa or tomb raider or insert-rpg-here etc. i do think mario has become a bit samey (esp in regards to the 2d games) but what the series needs is a gameplay and environmental and maybe graphical and/or artistic overhaul because thats what people come to mario for, not the story.

Isabelle said:
Even Mario Galaxy doesn't have that deep of a story, but the way the story has been twisted this time was excellent to me...

Galaxy's story is about as deep as a flat plate. The only thing I say even qualifies close to being deep is Rosalina's quotes in the end about rebirth and how things aren't quite the same, but that's the deepest it gets, just a single line from a quote in a single scene.

Never said it was deep.

Ok, look, I just really like those cutscenes, they're gorgeous, ok?

supermariofan said:
A morality system ala Mass Effect.

Should I be nice and respectful? Or should I punch them in the face?

Dream Stone Spirit said:
Mcmadness said:
supermariofan said:
A morality system ala Mass Effect.

Should I be nice and respectful? Or should I punch them in the face?
Should I resort to violence with Bowser, or should I try to sneak away with Peach?

Eh. Violence's more fun.

yes the loud option is always funner than the smart option :)

Back