20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 20: A game that truly scared you

Re: 20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 6: Favorite male video game character

Toad, though I did dislike him before playing Mario Party: Island Tour(I also like Kirby, Tails, Charmy, Yoshi, Mario, Luigi, Polar, Pura, Bowser Jr., Shadow, and all Crash aliens)

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out my favorite. :mario:

I'm going to go with Jade Curtiss from Tales of the Abyss. He's the kind of character that could easily be the main antagonist, he created a lot of the technology that the main antagonists do use for their goals and said creations have huge impacts on the events of the game. but world domination/destruction is a pain in the ass so he'd rather stick to his cushy military job. A 'good' character with morals and values closer to that of an 'evil' character, not to say he doesn't have some good morals but those only came after his actions caused irreparable damage and are usually related to said things. galaxy brain.

BabyLuigiPar.png

Do I really need to say more?

My two favorite male characters are my two favorite characters. The first is obviously Yoshi. As for the second, it is Luigi if you didn't know.

why can't I find a guy like this ugh

9DwAWza.jpg

358px-MPT100_Art_-_Mario.png

Well, what can I say: Mario is my most definite favourite video game character.

It would seem unusual that I prefer Mario over the other more colourful Mario characters, but I like Mario because as someone who usually plays alone, Mario is the default character to use. The frequent use of Mario makes me feel like he is the character for me, even though there are games with a large roster. It also helps that Mario is not only the most famous character, but he is also characterised by positive attributes. Due to Mario being famous, he's also one of the characters that I have no problem saying is my favourite, since quite a number of favourites of mine is overshadowed by people who are more readily unloved by the character (Daisy and Waluigi are very prominent examples).

Another thing that I like about Mario is his character design. His design is based around technological limitations, which as a result means that his design had to be recognisable. It is an achievement on what became of Mario since unlike a lot of early video game characters, Mario doesn't have the conflict of official art and in-game sprite, unlike Pac-man and Bomberman. It is also an achievement that Mario's design doesn't have a split between classic and modern, so the Mario in the Mario Bros. game may as well be treated as the same Mario in Super Mario Odyssey, unlike Sonic. Mario is also not traditionally handsome, since he is endowed with a big nose, a moustache and a round face, which is something you don't normally see in how heroes are designed. In addition to this, he still have five fingers unlike a lot of cartoonish characters, and it's maintained even in the DIC cartoons unlike Sonic (Hotel Mario is the biggest exception). This gives him a huge appeal in design in my opinion, as his design is not engineered for the masses yet it is also charming. All in all, there is a wholesome and unifying quality in Mario's design that I felt is very brilliant of him.

Thank you for reading.

Ok don't even try to pretend you didn't see this coming:

Toad_-_Mario_Party_10.png

So as you may have expected, Toad is my favourite male character in all of gaming. He really ressembles me in some way, and he's really cute. It would be hard to not like him for me. BUT, there's another character I like as much as Mushroom boi. It's Yoshi! :yoshi:

Yoshi is really strong and brave, and he's really nice and cute. Mario wouldn't even exist if Yoshi wasn't here.

So if there are non Mario characters, we've got:

-Kirby, because he's cute.
-Sonic, because he's cool and has a unique attribute: his speed.
-Link, because he's just handsome.

Poochy said:
Ok don't even try to pretend you didn't see this coming:

Toad_-_Mario_Party_10.png

So as you may have expected, Toad is my favourite male character in all of gaming. He really ressembles me in some way, and he's really cute. It would be hard to not like him for me. BUT, there's another character I like as much as Mushroom boi. It's Yoshi! :yoshi:

Yoshi is really strong and brave, and he's really nice and cute. Mario wouldn't even exist if Yoshi wasn't here.

So if there are non Mario characters, we've got:

-Kirby, because he's cute.
-Sonic, because he's cool and has a unique attribute: his speed.
-Link, because he's just handsome.

Looks like we have favourite male characters in common!

It would go to Mega Man. I love him a lot.

If you consider the Lucario in Smash to be the one in the movie, then... him. Lucarios are a combination of cute but badass (and sexy too I guess) creatures, and Idk I would really love to have those aura powers at times. Lotsa liars in this world. The one Lucario in the movie is also an endearing character, driven mad by the supposed betrayal he thinks his master has done to him, but ultimately coming to the conclusion that sometimes, people who love you will do things you wouldn't understand to protect you.

Buuuuuuuuut if he doesn't count then I'll take Link. Basically a guy who looks so serious but to me his most charming moments are those where he acts silly. Luigi, Mario, and Zelgius are also honorable mentions.

For day 7, is it okay if I post individual music tracks rather than the full soundtrack?

This is another question that I’d probably answer differently every time you asked me, depending on where my thoughts are for the day (no need to mention all of great female characters I’ve realized didn’t give thought to the other day). For a variety of reasons, the characters to run through my mind at this point include Skull Kid, Beedle, Cyrus Albright, Therion, Maxie (ORAS), Nanu, Luigi, Tom Nook, E. Gadd, and who knows who else I’m not thinking of at the moment from anything other than major Nintendo franchises and Octopath.

I’d say the common strain here is to make your character particularly sympathetic in a particular area, make them, as TVTropes puts it, a “determinator” who continually presses forwards in spite of failures, or make them an adorable awkward nerd.

But, you know, thinking through it for the moment, I think I’m going to have to go with Kamek. I recognize that it’s probably in large part fanon and certain interpretations I’ve seen of him that have endeared me to him, but where would many characters be without fanon to bring out their best qualities. Kamek’s a smart guy, advisor and right-hand of his king, and is constantly willing to put up with failure after failure on Bowser’s part and keep trying to press forward. He might grumble, but he doesn’t really complain. He knows his place, doing the hard work and making things move smoothly in the background, and doesn’t mind the work. At the same time, we do get the occasional glimpse that he truly does care for Bowser, having essentially raised him as a son. That his sometimes vitriolic and tense relationship but ultimately undergirded by an essentially familial bond with Bowser and his child(ren) is often highlighted in fanworks does not hurt, either. And, truthfully, I think we’ve seen a fair few glimpses into Kamek’s own nerdery. His library in Island Tour and especially the descriptions of the trinkets in “his” library in Mario Party DS seem to indicate that his research isn’t just for his work as a mage - he enjoys it! Add in a few lines here and there in the RPGs, and I’m almost certain that if you caught him in the right setting Kamek would be the type to extensively lecture you on some obscure finding of his with gusto.

(The Toadies, admittedly, don’t hurt, either. Though, I would enjoy seeing more of Kamek’s interactions with them in canon and/or fanon. They tend to be associated with Kamek in particular, rather than Magikoopas as a whole, but the name issues between Kamek the character and Kamek as a species obscures that a bit.)

Re: 20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 7: 5 of your favorite OSTs

Time for day 7, and we've got a good one! Your challenge: Five of your favorite OSTs!

Toadettefan14 said:
For day 7, is it okay if I post individual music tracks rather than the full soundtrack?

This is absolutely okay! I will leave what you all post up to you; if you want to take this to the direction of posting your favorite full game soundtracks, go for it. If you'd rather post your favorite individual track(s) from games, go for that, too! If you do post it in video/Youtube form, please spoil it so we don't annihilate people's computers!

My top five!

ayyyy i'm late but why not jump in

1: Lasting impression - Well, Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door is the reason I met my best friend of the past ten years, the reason I'm on nearly all of the main internet haunts I have (including MarioWiki), and influenced my writing style, so... That. That, easily.

2: Favorite female video game character - Youmu Konpaku from Touhou is a good girl. I love her.

3: A game that's bad, yet good - Bionicle: The Game (for Gamecube) is a cheap licensed game of the dime a dozen variety, and had all sorts of random gameplay changes as well as rewriting the story. But for some reason, I enjoy playing it. Weird, huh?

4: Game that hit me emotionally - Virtue's Last Reward destroyed my heart at two separate points in the story. They even had the same music!

5: Favorite game developer or studio - Honestly, I have to go back to the Big N. Metroid, F-Zero, Mario, Kirby... there's a lot of solid games on the list! though if Nintendo doesn't count, then it's easily Desunoya

6: Favorite male game character - IT'S-A ME, WAAAAAARIO! Wario is fantastic. What a guy!

7: 5 of my favorite OSTs - Oh jeez uh... F-Zero GX, Metroid Prime 2, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal, and Paper Mario: TTYD. Man that's hard to pick!

Azusa Miura said:
the issue is I can't really name any truly shit games I've enjoyed despite them being kusoge, and I (un)fortunately haven't played devil may cry 2 yet

update on this. i both hate and love devil may cry 2. it's so fucking bad, but i had to keep playing it because i wanted to see how bad it could get. i literally got stuck in a wall mid-jump-animation until some enemies hit me out of it

no particular order on these; I'm counting the OST as a whole with tracks I like in particular linked. honestly not really my definitive top 5 list either (like I could easily name splatoon, okami, the paper mario osts, guilty gear music, etc), it's more just shit I put on in foobar relatively often

-metroid prime 1
-pokemon gsc
-symphony of the night
-bayonetta
-chrono trigger

1. A game that had a lasting impression on you
Spyro: A Hero's Tail, one of my childhood games that, as a kid, got me sketching out ideas for similar "games" of my own, which subsequently led to my interest in game design.

2. Favourite female video game character
Originally Samus, but most recently Marie from Splatoon. Honorable mentions include Rosalina and Viridi.

3. A game that's so bad but so good
Don't have one.

4. A game that hit an emotional spot in your heart
The Last of Us
Sam and Henry's deaths especially got me. I just put the controller down in shock.

5. Favorite game developer or studio
Have to go with Nintendo, specifically Koizumi for Mario Galaxy's direction and story and Aonuma for delivering BotW.

6. Favorite male video game character
Henry from Fire Emblem Awakening

7. 5 of your favorite OSTs

The World Ends With You OST. If you didn't list it then you don't know that it's your favourite or you are wrong.

Super Mario Galaxy
(Favorite track: Melty Molten Galaxy)
Super Mario Odyssey
(Favorite tracks: Shiveria Town, Bowser Battle 2, Bowser's Castle 2)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
(Favorite track: E3 Trailer BGM)
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
(Favorite tracks: And My Name's Booster, Let's Do the Fooka-Fooka!)
Paper Mario
(Favorite tracks:...all of them. This game has an amazing soundtrack.)

Back