Super Mario Maker 2

Oh boy. :yoshi:

Moldomré: The Crossover Episode said:
MIGHT HAPPEN:
New game theme (SML2 most likely)

Just curious; why do you think SML2?

Of all the sites I've seen address this, I did see one (a video, I think) speculate “Bros 2 or Land 2”. I've been hoping for Bros 2, because the Land series is so different in being black & White, yet otherwise is similar to styles already included.

These sites also discuss the idea of a sixth game style:

https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/05/17/other-mario-styles-we-want-to-see-in-super-mario-maker-2

https://www.dualshockers.com/super-mario-bros-2-super-mario-maker-2-game-style/

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/2019/05/15/super-mario-maker-2-still-has-one-secret-new-game-style/

All of this is based on the extra space on the style menu, next to where you choose 3DW. The fact that it mentions “extraS” (plural) is what they take to mean that space is being reserved for something in particular. One of nhese sources also speculate it might be something else not interchangeable with the other styles, like 3DW.

I liked that rendition someone had done awhile ago, showing SMB enemies in a SMB2 game style. And at the same time, there were also a “snow world” and perhaps others, adapted for SMB1 that looks just like what's being added on this game. So I'm wondering if those are what's been used, and SMB2 would be interchangeable, like the others.
All you'd really need to do is change the endings of the worlds, like they did for the SMB3 and W castles, which had the original bridge and axe added. Like you would do the same thing for the boss worlds (i.e. -3), and for the other worlds (-1, -2), just add a flagpole instead of Birdo, and Mario could still climb through the eagle gate after descending on the pole.

SMB2 should really be added, since it is the source of so much that was added to the Mario series afterward (including vertical worlds, as these sites mention).

Eric B said:
Moldomré: The Crossover Episode said:
MIGHT HAPPEN:
New game theme (SML2 most likely)

Just curious; why do you think SML2?

See, I used to think that. Then thirty minutes after I posted that the direct came and I realized that "Extra Game Styles" most likely means another unique style (special enemies and gameplay); so basically just gonna be SMB2USA.
But I also hate SMB2USA (because I suck at it :P) so meh. I mean, I wouldn't be angry if they added it but it's definitely at the bottom of my list of most wanted gamestyles.

YoshiFlutterJump said:
I'm thinking that 3D World will be the only extra style at launch, and they'll add Mario USA in an update.

...really? They wouldn't just tease that and then save it for an update.

Nintendo didn't tease or hint anything, it's just people over analysing the fact that there's enough space for one more game theme and that means a new one is 100% guaranteed.

I'm placing my bets on there not being any other new themes because I prefer not to over hype myself (see: Bandanna Dee won't be in Ultimate).

When's the last time Nintendo threw a bone for anything Super Mario Bros. 2 related? Tangentially related stuff in 3D World? I wouldn't hold my breath for a Super Mario Bros. 2: Not Lost Levels as I'm past that point now.

Striker Luigi said:
YoshiFlutterJump said:
Striker Luigi said:
YoshiFlutterJump said:
Yeah, they'll probably find something to lock behind 100 Mario. But there's at least a sliver of hope in the fact that the 3DS port of the first game had 100 Mario with no content locked behind it...but that port was so lazy that they probably won't replicate that.

True, but as far as we know, They might not even have 100 Mario in the sequel.
They've already shown something called Endless Challenge, which basically is 100 Mario but with no end.

If there is no end to it, then it technically can't be beaten, which means they can't lock anything behind it.

That's not true. Certain unlockables could involve clearing a certain number of courses in an endless run. If you remember the Wii version of Punch-Out!!, winning 10 matches in Mac's Last Stand (a mode that never ends until you lose 3 matches) unlocked Champions Mode.

Shy Guy on Wheels said:
Nintendo didn't tease or hint anything, it's just people over analysing the fact that there's enough space for one more game theme and that means a new one is 100% guaranteed.

I'm placing my bets on there not being any other new themes because I prefer not to over hype myself (see: Bandanna Dee won't be in Ultimate).

It literally says extra game MODES, plural, not extra game mode. It's not just the fact there's extra space for a mode.

If there is never a SMB2 theme, I wouldn't mind if Nintendo just added SMB2 elements to the other themes. (Picking up vegetables, tossing objects at enemies, cherries, enemies from SMB2, etc.)

Shy Guy on Wheels said:

It does seem like there is a bit of overanalyzing (particularly around just there being an extra space), though as others pointed out, the plural "modes" does indicate that the provision is being made for other styles.

Here's the SMB2 mod I saw from before (with the goomba and Koopa Troopa completely redrawn):
http://i.imgur.com/EW1ax69.png

This one is based on SMB3 (which makes sense, as Mario looks the same, so they probably used a similar "engine".

https://youtu.be/boYdsDH6KBI

If they did at least something like these, even that would be good.

For now, they should have also added the SMB2J stone ground (as they did in these mods), as that would have gone better with slopes.

There is potential in a Super Mario Bros 2 theme. The SMB2J titles would also be nice. I doubt it will happen, but I would like to see a Super Mario All Stars theme. If there is another theme they haven't revealed yet, it will probably be either be Super Mario Galaxy or Mario Odyssey themed.

winstein said:
Have we ever seen NSMBU's Angry Sun in action? I have a feeling that its expression changes based on if it's actively chasing the player, similar to how Thwomp changes expression in SMW and NSMBU depending on if it's active.
They've actually added this, apparently, to even the SMB style. Somewhere in the video, you can see a clip of him in sleep mode (looks similar to the SMB3 version), but then turns into the angry gritting-teeth sprite when dropping.

That must be what they're doing with the sun in NSMBU mode, because if that image someone posted on p.13 is real, it's for all purposes a different character. So it probably does go into a teeth-gritting mode when activated.

Here's some more discussion on the future styles. He thinks it should be Galaxy.
https://youtu.be/mERyTCSQygg

Since 3D is stepped down to 2D, Super Mario Galaxy or any of the other 3D games would be too much like the 3DW style. The difference would be enemies, and backgrounds, but then those are basically cosmetic, and could probably be added to the existing 3DW template. They avoid styles that are too close to other styles, which is why you don't have NSBM, or NSMBW. They're basically the same thing, with mainly the backgrounds changed, and some of the score and graphics being different in NSMB. (I would like to see them allow NSMBU to have an option to revert to those earlier features. I think those tilting crystal mountains were a bit silly, and were really only a nod to SMW's 16 bit backgrounds. But otherwise, it's the same thing).

You couldn't do the little planetoids (which are the distinctive feature of the game), because that's then redoing the whole thing to actual 3D.
I think Mario Maker 3 should be "Super Mario 3D Maker", which would be completely 3D (though perhaps not as expansive as the "free roaming" titles), and have the 3D game styles.

Mario Maker's Weird Angry Sun Explained
https://youtu.be/zPVIekKLZWQ

(Thought it looked like some sort of Central/South American native art!)

Still strange that they decided to go that direction with the enemy. I never thought him to be Central American, but it is cool!

In case you haven't gotten the news already, online play is going to be randoms only. Because something something leaderboards.

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/50586/online-play-in-super-mario-maker-2-limited-to-randoms-only

Why is Nintendo so good at self-sabotage? Aren't they trying to sell us a $20 "service"?

Back