What characters would you like to see as DLC for Smash Bros?

Most wanted is Bandana Dee. The dream is essentially dead at this point if it wasn't already, but he'll never stop being my most wanted. Introducing Bandana Dee into Smash would not only make a 4-player Kirby match possible, but it could also open a door for modern Kirby games to receive more acknowledgment from Smash. Bandana Dee also represents Waddle Dees in general, who are nearly as iconic to the series as Kirby himself, and Waddle Dees really need to be given more love in Smash.

After that...probably Toad, except the dream's basically dead for him too because Plant exists. Toad's exclusion from Smash is even more confusing than Bandana Dee's, considering that he is one of the most major characters in Nintendo's most major franchise. If anyone could truly deserve a spot in Smash, it's Toad.

Those are the two I really feel should be in Smash already, and there aren't many others that I'd request. Too bad the Fighters Pass seems to be entirely third-parties and they wasted the one first-party DLC slot on a lame Piranha Plant.

piranha plant is awesome i like how mediocre and generic it is, that's how it stands out to me

Bandana Waddle Dee said:
After that...probably Toad, except the dream's basically dead for him too because Plant exists. [...] and they wasted the one first-party DLC slot on a lame Piranha Plant.
Piranha Plant is supposed to be a joke, there's no need to take it so seriously, and its inclusion does not affect the chances of any other character.

Bandana Waddle Dee said:
Toad's exclusion from Smash is even more confusing than Bandana Dee's, considering that he is one of the most major characters in Nintendo's most major franchise. If anyone could truly deserve a spot in Smash, it's Toad.
The fact that Toad isn't in the game proves that there is no such thing as a character that deserves a slot.

Bandana Waddle Dee said:
Too bad the Fighters Pass seems to be entirely third-parties
There is absolutely nothing wrong with third party characters, they are surprising additions that often have unique movesets or gimmicks that Nintendo characters that scrape the bottom of the barrel just can't provide.

Leo Luster said:
Piranha Plant is supposed to be a joke, there's no need to take it so seriously, and its inclusion does not affect the chances of any other character.
You want a joke character, make it base game. We already have enough joke characters already anyway, including R.O.B., Game & Watch, and Wii Fit (plus Dedede because he's already a meme character so he counts). Why exactly do we need a Piranha Plant? Even Sakurai claims that Plant wasn't even put in for the memes. He was a complete waste.

Ray Trace said:
piranha plant is awesome i like how mediocre and generic it is, that's how it stands out to me
Well, okay, maybe not a complete waste, as he makes a great and ridiculous-looking punching bag.

Leo Luster said:
The fact that Toad isn't in the game proves that there is no such thing as a character that deserves a slot.
What? That proves nothing. It merely suggests that Sakurai doesn't see Toad as much of a fighter, and more of a supporter. Characters can most definitely deserve a spot in Smash (see Mario, face of Nintendo, and Kirby, protagonist of Smash's precursor series); it's just that most of them are already in. And Toad is one of the few that I would argue deserve a spot and yet don't have one.

Leo Luster said:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with third party characters, they are surprising additions that often have unique movesets or gimmicks that Nintendo characters that scrape the bottom of the barrel just can't provide.
Oh, I've got some real issues with third-parties making up half the newcomers in recent Smash games. Smash is a Nintendo all-star series, and as such it should focus primarily, and possibly even solely, on Nintendo characters. Having a few third-parties with close connection to Nintendo (like Mega Man, Sonic, and Banjo) are fine; what we're getting now (with 20% of roster and 50% of newcomers being third-parties, as well as random Jokers that are completely unrelated to Nintendo) is most certainly not.

Forde said:
Many people will raise Pitchforks and torches at me but...

Ephraim.

Ephraim. From Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. Just about one of the badassest characters I know.

In my defense, he's a lance user.

Yeah, I have pipe dreams now.

Goddamnit IS, they bring us three Awakening characters, one from Fates and even Roy who the people say his stats ingame suck from a to this day Japan only game. But the one game that matters in the series doesn't get a rep.
I've talked about this with other people but you can basically map Corrin's moveset to Ephraim (with Lyon and Eirika as assists in the middle of his moves, like a Flux orb for neutral B or something). Lance vaulting would be cooler than weird dragon arm vaulting

Bandana Waddle Dee said:
mad about plant
While i think it could be argued that they won't shove in any more first party characters (mostly for advertising reasons imo), Plant seemed honestly more like a base-game character that was already in development for months and didn't make the cut. He was released way earlier than Joker and had a relatively set release window too, so I don't think it's fair to be mad about it when he likely wasn't taking up any slots as opposed to just being a developer.... not in-joke, I guess but a "hey there's this moveset that's cool" thing that got delayed

what matters is that the characters are fun. who cares if the characters are third party, these are still fighters people wanted. also, is piranha plant REALLY that lame? from what i can tell he has a pretty interesting moveset with a lot of options. if you despise him that much, dont buy him, theres plenty of people who do like him though. also, relevant third parties? may i bring snake to your attention. he got introduced in brawl, and he was playstations boy. at the time the only real nintendo thing he was in was Twin Snakes, sonic wasnt really all too good with nintendo yet either aside from the mario and sonic games. while it may have been a nintendo all star series in the past, i cant really see how that holds up past melee. hell, 4 had BAYONETTA if you recall. bayonetta had never even been on a nintendo console prior to that, if i recall. bringing joker to smash was the same as bringing bayonetta to smash. it allowed the games of their respective franchises to be released on nintendo home consoles. also, ryu too lol.

Bandana Waddle Dee said:
We already have enough joke characters already anyway, including [...] Game & Watch
wkIocuh.png

G&W is not a joke.

If anything I wish he was because he's so fucking annoying.

Bandana Waddle Dee said:
Well, okay, maybe not a complete waste, as he makes a great and ridiculous-looking punching bag.

punching bags are not wastes

one of the reasons that tingle is in my top 5 most wanted...most wanted as in...imma cop and imma gonna bust them in smash bros

I figure your definition of a "joke" character entails in "unconventional character I don't like". R.O.B. is a monumental aspect of video game history by contributing to the recovery of video game products after a devastating video game crash. It also looks funky and that helps it stand out in the roster.

Game & Watch doesn't have to be explained. He is a culmination of Nintendo's oldest games, the retro LED watch video games, and predated both Mario and Pac-Man. His moveset borrows moves from several of those games. Every single attack is based on some game.

Wii Fit Trainer is another unconventional option but if you give her some thought, she definitely has a place in the roster. Wii Fit is incredibly popular, a sleeper hit, in the successful Wii generation, and she can also represent the overlooked yet highly profitable "casual" market. She is also extremely unconventional, which also helps diversify the roster.

Right, didn't you say this is Nintendo All Stars?

Princess Mario said:
I figure your definition of a "joke" character entails in "unconventional character I don't like". R.O.B. is a monumental aspect of video game history by contributing to the recovery of video game products after a devastating video game crash. It also looks funky and that helps it stand out in the roster.

Game & Watch doesn't have to be explained. He is a culmination of Nintendo's oldest games, the retro LED watch video games, and predated both Mario and Pac-Man. His moveset borrows moves from several of those games. Every single attack is based on some game.

Wii Fit Trainer is another unconventional option but if you give her some thought, she definitely has a place in the roster. Wii Fit is incredibly popular, a sleeper hit, in the successful Wii generation, and she can also represent the overlooked yet highly profitable "casual" market. She is also extremely unconventional, which also helps diversify the roster.

Right, didn't you say this is Nintendo All Stars?
What? No, that is not my definition of a joke character at all. I think Game & Watch and R.O.B. are both unique and interesting characters and I'm glad they're in, but I consider them joke characters simply because they look hilariously out of place in a game like Smash. I consider Wii Fit a joke character simply because of the thought of playing as a living fitness dummy, although I'm more indifferent to its inclusion (although that reveal trailer was one of the best I've seen).

But Piranha Plant? I just can't say the same. We have a weird two-dimensional dude, a robot accessory, and a fitness dummy, and they're all great for laughs. But Piranha Plant? Not only does he feel like a slap in the face to Toad and other Mario-series characters that should have gotten in first, but he's a paid character too; for the record, I strongly oppose them charging for joke characters. He also doesn't represent anything meaningful; G&W represents Nintendo's oldest oldies, R.O.B. represents Nintendo's toys-to-life peripherals, and Wii Fit (alongside the Miis) represent the "Wii" franchise for more casual players. Piranha Plant though...if they wanted to represent standard enemies, I'd rather them use a Goomba. Piranha Plant has no reason to be here other than to be just another joke. And that in itself just feels boring.

Wlel that is why it wasn't always paid, huh? Yeah that's right, news are, it was free at some point. And here is where I intervene and tell you something.

You're overthinking it. Just because. Piranha Plant is part of a large series, now its inclusion feels like a waste of potential. Why do you know any character from Gyromite? From any G&W game? I think you're bashing on Piranha Plant just because you wanna see other characters instead of it without taking the time to appreciate what is given to you. Piranha Plant too is a wacky character with an interesting moveset LIKE ROB and G&W, yet because there are other Mario characters more "deserving" of a spot you choose to not see it as the same thing?

And you're saying Piranha Plant's addition is boring, but then proceeded to suggest to put in a Goomba for repping the enemies. If anything a Goomba would be such an obvious choice for an enemy that IT'D be boring instead (by your logic but imo it would still be hilarious). By the way, you said it yourself before, you brought up how Sakurai said that Piranha Plant was not added in for the memes, meaning that your point about it being here just to be a joke character is invalid.

All in all, what I’m trying to say here, you don't have to change your opinion because of an idiot like me telling you things, but just know that most of the time if you actually try to find good things and enjoyment out of something instead of desperately trying to find arguments against it, you'll find that you may have judged it a bit too poorly.

Did I make sense?

Bandana Waddle Dee said:
as well as random Jokers that are completely unrelated to Nintendo

who cares how random he was we got to fight to reach out to the truth and last surprise that's what matters the most

Bandana Waddle Dee said:
What? No, that is not my definition of a joke character at all. I think Game & Watch and R.O.B. are both unique and interesting characters and I'm glad they're in, but I consider them joke characters simply because they look hilariously out of place in a game like Smash. I consider Wii Fit a joke character simply because of the thought of playing as a living fitness dummy, although I'm more indifferent to its inclusion (although that reveal trailer was one of the best I've seen).

But Piranha Plant? I just can't say the same. We have a weird two-dimensional dude, a robot accessory, and a fitness dummy, and they're all great for laughs. But Piranha Plant? Not only does he feel like a slap in the face to Toad and other Mario-series characters that should have gotten in first, but he's a paid character too; for the record, I strongly oppose them charging for joke characters. He also doesn't represent anything meaningful; G&W represents Nintendo's oldest oldies, R.O.B. represents Nintendo's toys-to-life peripherals, and Wii Fit (alongside the Miis) represent the "Wii" franchise for more casual players. Piranha Plant though...if they wanted to represent standard enemies, I'd rather them use a Goomba. Piranha Plant has no reason to be here other than to be just another joke. And that in itself just feels boring.
Gotcha. "Joke character", however, carries negative connotations as the term implies the character is placed in for a cheap laugh, is generally easily beaten, and doesn't add much value to the game. That was definition of a joke character. Pichu, for instance, was made weak on purpose and was a WTF addition, so it was classified as a "joke" character.

But you can't downplay what Piranha Plant brings to the roster. It's a nonanthropomorphic creature, for starters, and that already opens a lot of potential for fun animations and moveset ideas. But Piranha Plant cribs moves from its various appearances in several Mario games. Additionally, part of your argument relies on an unsubstantiated premise that Piranha Plant is "wasting" a slot. Honestly, I don't see it that way, I see Piranha Plant more of a surprise that didn't "steal" anyone's slot. Sure, people might think there are too many Mario reps, but after the brouhaha with Corrin, I figure the amount of reps per series really doesn't matter that much to the developers, just that they decided to surprise people. Piranha Plant is our WTF first party character of this generation too, right, we didn't have a WTF character before.

Bandana Waddle Dee said:
What? No, that is not my definition of a joke character at all. I think Game & Watch and R.O.B. are both unique and interesting characters and I'm glad they're in, but I consider them joke characters simply because they look hilariously out of place in a game like Smash.

smash has an italian plumber fighting an anthropomorphic fox, a guy with realistic-looking artilery, bayonetta, himself but as a doctor, and approximately 15 different anime swordsmen (at least a quarter of which are link)
theres a lot of reasons to consider someone a joke character but calling someone 'out of place' in smash isnt really one of them lol

Princess Mario said:
Additionally, part of your argument relies on an unsubstantiated premise that Piranha Plant is "wasting" a slot. Honestly, I don't see it that way, I see Piranha Plant more of a surprise that didn't "steal" anyone's slot.
Reminder that slots don't even exist in the first place. The roster is planned before release and doesn't change during production of the game beyond removing characters that they don't have time for. This means Toad was never planned in the first place, and if Piranha Plant didn't exist Toad wouldn't have gotten in because someone else would've "stole" his slot.

Erdrick the Hero said:
I honestly don't give much of a crap about who gets in as long as they play good.
People make that argument a lot, but I feel there are factors that contribute to what plays good. You have to think about a character's inherent qualities like body shape and personality and the historical context surrounding the character and it can give you a lot of information that gives you a general impression of how a character plays. So, it does matter whoever gets in: a Piranha Plant already begins with the benefit of an unconventional body shape and its rather humble history, and this already makes the character interesting, like I feel more people are curious about its moveset as opposed to Corrin's moveset, and it received far better reception owing to its positive qualities. Sure, you can make a creative sword fighter, but I feel that opportunity to be creative is way more diminished and can impact how they "play good".

So idk, it's a generally good sentiment to have but it's too broad for it to be a really useful argument justifying a character, in my opinion.

Master Hand would be better as a separate mode in my opinion.

P.S. May you please go easy on the moving text function?

Ray Trace said:
HEROWALUIGI said:

there i fixed your post for you
No!!!
Princess Mario said:
Master Hand would be better as a separate mode in my opinion.

P.S. May you please go easy on the moving text function?
Fine, I will put it in spoiler tags....

you shouldn't even use marquee tags to begin with. they're a time waste and inhibit the readability of your posts; they're really only to be used in niche environments and your post arguably isn't one of those times.

Back