Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

God, like every other theme with lyrics it's DEFINITELY NOT GONNA BE CRIMINALLY OVERRATED, RIGHT JUMP UP SUPER STAR??

Lucario said:
God, like every other theme with lyrics it's DEFINITELY NOT GONNA BE CRIMINALLY OVERRATED, RIGHT JUMP UP SUPER STAR??

Break Free: Lead the Way (Japanese) is the better song in Odyssey. I screw around doing stunts in the Metro Kingdom playing that incessantly.

Lucario said:

The people who bash on those themes primarily because "EWWW THERE'S A SINGER!" are types of people who don't listen to much music outside of VGM to begin with.

How I know this? I used to be those types of people who thinks there's too much music with lyrics. Now, music with lyrics are far more common in my musical preferences than those without, and now I can rightfully sneer at people who hate music primarily because "eww singer".

UNLESS the lyrics are bad or the vocals can't sing or something. There are very, very few examples of songs where the instrumental version is better than the ones with lyrics. Lifelight isn't even close to being those types of music.

World of Light has me super hyped...I never knew that my Smash main and my overall favorite video game character (tied with Yoshi) would star as the main protagonist of this game...I've changed my mind, I'm buying this ASAP!

Thank you so much, Sakurai!

Glad that they're apparently trying to focus on less of a story and more of having fun since with about 70 characters it would be hard for everyone to be plot important.

Smash Ultimate hype!

This song is energizing, I've been listening to it for quite a while now, and I feel like a little kid again. I took a little trip through the SM64 artwork gallery section, and just had this sense of childhood wonder at the whole thing I haven't felt there in a decade.

Princess Mario said:
The worst part of the direct is how they're offering Season Passes. Just... no. I groaned out loud at them.
I don't see the problem with it for this game at least, since we all know there are a large number of people who are going to buy every DLC character no matter what, so might as well give them a more efficient and slightly cheaper way to do it. Regardless of that, I think they are handling the DLC situation better than Smash 4 in general. I like the idea of 5 packs that each come with one character, one stage, and some music tracks a lot better than separately-purchased stages, characters, and way too many mii fighter costumes piling up to a ridiculous price if one were to buy them all.

On another note, from what I heard of Lifelight from the direct (haven't listened to it outside of the direct yet), it sounds very much like it could have come straight out of a recent Fire Emblem game. Looks like Fire Emblem has exerted some subtle influence on the series besides the obvious huge number of characters.

It took some time for me to realise that Piranha Plant is a great addition to Super Smash Bros., because it's the antithesis of what fans generally demand for Smash playable characters:
1) It's practically not on people's lists so its inclusion is unexpected.
2) It's a common enemy, which is usually not in demand because it's not deemed unique.
3) It's from a series with the most playable representation, so several people didn't see fit as playable.
4) It's a plant, which has the rarest representation for a fighting playable. More so because it's an actual plant and not an anthropomorphic one.
5) Its body type makes many think that Piranha Plant is difficult to recommend as playable, since it doesn't have arms or legs (note that Pac-man has arms and legs).

It's the most inspired addition for sure and is a convincing reason to get Smash Ultimate, even if I didn't plan to get the game due to a certain character not getting playable status. In case you don't know, I wanted Waluigi the most that it's disappointing to see him not only gets put into Assist Trophy, but now I have to endure people ragging about his non-playable status.

Thank you for reading.

Czario said:
On another note, from what I heard of Lifelight from the direct (haven't listened to it outside of the direct yet), it sounds very much like it could have come straight out of a recent Fire Emblem game. Looks like Fire Emblem has exerted some subtle influence on the series besides the obvious huge number of characters.

Apparently a certain singer of songs for FE had to say on her Twitter that she was NOT the one to sing it due to the amount of people misattributing it to her.

Czario said:
Princess Mario said:
The worst part of the direct is how they're offering Season Passes. Just... no. I groaned out loud at them.
I don't see the problem with it for this game at least, since we all know there are a large number of people who are going to buy every DLC character no matter what, so might as well give them a more efficient and slightly cheaper way to do it. Regardless of that, I think they are handling the DLC situation better than Smash 4 in general. I like the idea of 5 packs that each come with one character, one stage, and some music tracks a lot better than separately-purchased stages, characters, and way too many mii fighter costumes piling up to a ridiculous price if one were to buy them all.

yeah like i understand that other games have given season passes a bad rep, with stuff like taking content that would otherwise be in the base game out and selling it separately, but these characters are only being developed after the base game is finished (and i don't think anyone can say that the base game is lacking in content) so i honestly don't see the problem here

anyway now that i've had some sleep and some time to think about this a bit, i think this was a pretty decent direct. i was a little disappointed at first that grinch leak was fake (mostly because it means no chorus kids ;-;) but now i'm just more disappointed in myself for letting myself believe that there would really be another 7 characters despite sakurai indicating multiple times that theres no way there would be that many characters

ken was an obvious choice, and even though i dont play street fighter, i'm glad that he's in because he's a staple of his series. i also main ryu so i'm definitely gonna try him out
i didnt care for incineroar much before he was revealed, but he has a fun looking moveset and it's great that he's basically an over the top pro wrestler cat. seriously, i love how he poses every time he lands a hit, it's amazing

spirits mode is... interesting. it's kind of a shame that trophies didnt come back, but honestly i can understand the decision to focus time and resources on other things, especially considering how they had a (relatively) short timeframe to make everything in this game. i honestly don't know how much i'll experiment with using spirits and stuff, but i like the idea of fighting characters with modifications that are vaguely related to the spirit you're trying to get. the collectable side of it is obviously a step down from trophies though

adventure mode looks fun. its a nice extension to the main spirit mode and it seems like its hitting that balance between melee and brawl's adventure modes like a lot of people were hoping for. i'm not expecting much in terms of a story but i'm at least hoping there'll be an ending animation to go along with the opening because man does that opening raise a lot of questions which i want answers to. also i like how there's lyrics for the main theme now, it's pretty great

dlc was pretty obvious. i'm interested in seeing who gets added but won't be getting my hopes up or trying to guess who it could be because i'm pretty sure that's impossible by this point. ive noticed that theres nothing really tekken related despite namco helping make this and virtua fighter, which i assume is less popular, getting an assist trophy, so maybe a tekken character is in the cards, but thats more wishful thinking and baseless speculation than anything at the moment

and finally, i have to talk about the highlight (?) of the direct, which is of course the piranha plant. i honestly had a lot of trouble processing that this was even a thing when they showed the trailer, but here we are. i'm glad its being marketed as more of a bonus than a proper dlc character (kinda like what happened with mewtwo in the previous game) but it just seems so bizarre. like sakurai can basically choose from any nintendo character ever, and he chooses piranha plant?? i really want to know what his thought process was lol. but anyway, i'm gonna be picking up the game near launch obviously, so looking forward to playing as the new best character ever in a couple of months

now that we know basically everything, i gotta say i'm really satisfied with how this game has turned out. it's got the most characters ever, it's brought back everyone's favourites and added some of the most wanted newcomers, it's got a pretty good selection of modes, lots of smaller QOL changes to make the entire experience smoother, this games basically got it all. it definitely deserves the title of Ultimate, and if this ends up being Sakurai's last game, i think he certainly did an amazing job of going out with a bang. i hope the poor man gets some rest once this is all finished, he certainly needs it

If you do an online search for "Chorus Kids," you'll get far more immediate Smash Bros. results than Rhythm Heaven results. The point is, they don't really have the clout. At least Wii Fit Trainer had some sort of truly working gimmick, but you can't expect that every time. Piranha Plant, however, has been around since 1985, has been so regular it was even in Super Mario Land, and......is a plant?

Honestly, who knows? My stance on "Sakurai chooses what he feels like", while vague, rings true. I feel there are no "rules" on what Sakurai chooses. Cloud defied us when people thought 3rd parties had to have strong appearances in Nintendo consoles. Snake and Sonic defied what people wanted from a Nintendo crossover. Expect the unexpected, I guess. People didn't expect a "generic" entity like they argued against Toad or Bandanna Dee, but now we have Piranha Plant. And we've seen "fighter potential", whatever that laughably means, get defied several times through Captain Falcon, Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., and Wii Fit Trainer.

Fun fact: the definition of "missed opportunity" in the dictionary is "Young Link's final smash being Triforce Slash when it could have been Fierce Deity Link."

I agree on that. And Daisy's being the same as Peach's but with Daisies.

And to some extent, I kinda also didn't want Lucario's to be Aura Storm again because it would be too similar to Zero Suit Samus'. You know the one they showed at E3?

But hey it's still the least I could have asked for.

But I'm still upset about the fact that Richter's final Smash is the same as Simon despite it being a cutscene Final Smash. I would've preferred it if it would have went like how you trigger the move in the original games, having crosses rise from the bottom of the screen. I think I said this already but don't know where.

Also I never said that Jump Up Super Star was a bad theme by any means, but I just felt it stole the spotlight of many other great musics the game had to offer. It sounds nice, but if people keep mentioning something I don't like as genuinely as I'd say that I love it, it kinda wears off of me, you know.

It's because, as shown with Giga Bowser and Yoshi's new final smash, they're shying away from "transformtion power up" final smashes despite those objectively being the best ones.

I mean, can anyone honestly say they'd rather play as a background punchy dude more than a giant monster lumbering around the stage doing whatever the heck it wants?

Their goal WAS to make the game faster, so in that regard, they managed to do what they wanted.

Smasher said:
fyi there's a new Pokemon song on the site, along with what I think is the complete lineup of items/assists/Pokemon. I'll post a full list of everything later

hi

first the song is here, it's Battle! (Wild Pokémon) from Sun & Moon : https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/sound/index.html

here are lists. bold means it's new to Smash, italics means it was in a previous Smash game but not 4, normal means its returning from 4

Beam Sword
Home-Run Bat
Ray Gun
Motion Sensor Bomb
Bumper
Crate
Barrel
Capsule
Food
Party Ball
Smash Ball
Assist Trophy
Blast Box
Sandbag
Timer
Gooey Bomb
Smoke Ball
Rolling Crate
Drill
Fake Smash Ball
Healing Sprout
Healing Field
Banana Gun
Rage Blaster
Beastball
Black Hole

Super Star
Fire Flower
Bob-omb
Green Shell
Banana Peel
Super Mushroom
Poison Mushroom
Metal Box
Freezie
Lightning
Golden Hammer
Hothead
Banana Peel
Soccer Ball
Bullet Bill
Fire Bar
POW Block
Spiny Shell
Boomerang
Super Leaf
Grass
Super Launch Star
Hammer
Heart Container
Bunny Hood
Deku Nut
Fairy Bottle
Gust Bellows
Bombchu
Beetle
Cucco
Screw Attack
Maxim Tomato
Star Rod
Warp Star
Dragoon
Superspicy Curry
Bomber
Smart Bomb
Poké Ball
Master Ball
Mr. Saturn
Franklin Badge
Ramblin' Evil Mushroom
Killing Edge

Daybreak
Ore Club
X Bomb
Killer Eye
Back Shield
Staff
Hocotate Bomb
Pitfall
Beehive
Death's Scythe
Rocket Belt
Steel Diver
Super Scope
Lip's Stick
Unira
Boss Galaga
Special Flag

Spring and Team Healer are the only regular items from 4 that are currently missing

Waluigi
Hammer Bro.
Chain Chomp
Thwomp
Flies & Hand
Klaptrap

Midna
Ghirahim
Skull Kid
Moon
Metroid
Mother Brain
Knuckle Joe
Nightmare
Chef Kawasaki
Andross
Krystal
Jeff
Starman
Samurai Goroh
Lyn
Black Knight
Tiki

Phosphora
Ashley
Gray Fox
Shadow
Knuckles
Burrowing Snagret
Kapp'n
Zero
Wily Capsule

Ghosts
Riki
Guile
Rodin
Squid Sisters
Alucard

Isaac
nintendog
Starfy
Dillon
Dr. Kawashima
Yuri Kozukata
Arcade Bunny
Spring Man
Vince
Nikki

Devil
Dr. Wright
Takamaru
Color TV-Game 15
Prince of Sablé
Sheriff
Sukapon
Bomberman
Akira
Shovel Knight
Rathalos

Dark Samus and Isabelle have been promoted to playable characters. Lakitu & Spinies, Tingle, Magnus, Kat & Ana, Elec Man, Infantry & Tanks, and Saki Amamiya have been cut entirely

Alolan Raichu
Vulpix
Alolan Vulpix

Meowth
Abra
Electrode
Alolan Exeggutor
Goldeen
Staryu
Ditto
Eevee
Snorlax
Moltres
Mew
Togepi
Bellossom
Scizor
Entei
Suicune
Lugia
Gardevoir
Metagross
Latias & Latios
Kyogre
Deoxys
Abomasnow
Palkia
Giratina
Darkrai
Arceus
Victini
Snivy
Oshawott
Zoroark
Kyurem
Keldeo
Meloetta
Genesect
Chespin
Fennekin
Fletchling
Spewpa
Gogoat
Swirlix
Inkay
Dedenne
Xerneas
Bewear
Pyukumuku
Togedemaru
Mimikyu
Tapu Koko
Solgaleo
Lunala
Marshadow

this is the first time no Pokémon from the last game was removed; everyone from 4 is back

let me know if I made a mistake

Glad that Fennekin is coming back. If I can't have neither Braixen or Decidueye as Pokemon fighters, then at least I get the pre-evolved from of one of them.

It was actualky revealed since the other Smash direct, but yeah, I think Ditto was actually considered for Melee but was cut.

At first, I was kinda worried that I wouldn't be able to get Piranha Plant since I'll get the physical version of the game. But after taking a closer look in the website, I saw this:

How to get Piranha Plant:
Buy the digital version of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on Nintendo.com or Nintendo eShop before 11:59 p.m. PT on Jan. 31, 2019 p.m PT. (The game will automatically be registered to your account.)

OR

Buy the retail version and register the game card with My Nintendo before 11:59 p.m. PT on Jan. 31, 2019.

I figured I'd simply get the game, receive My Nintendo points and BAM!!! I'll get Piranha Plant.

The biggest news with DLC for me was not the confirmation of its existence; that was locked in for sure.

It was the confirmation that all five new fighters will NOT BE ECHOES.

Can't imagine an echo getting a stage for themself.

Back