Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

I love Daisy Ridley

So I got to play the demo at SDCC, the wait wasn't as long as I thought (10-15 mins) and it was amazing. We played two four player matches, the first was a practice and the second was for a pin, and I actually won the second match! Items were on and the time was 2:30 (which might be demo only, since we have never set seconds before. We'll see) I played as Pikachu who felt different but better than in sm4sh. The physics did feel a little different, but it will be interesting to get used to. Anyway, the game looks so stunning and I really can't wait to get it!!!

Edit: Also got to play as Kirby, Zelda, Corrin, and Fox! Kirby and Zelda seem better (and good for Kirby cause I'm thinking of maining him, and for Zelda too cause she hasn't been that good in the series) I have never really played Fox and Corrin in sm4sh so can't say how they felt but I didn't do that good with Corrin but won with Fox

I already have an idea on how to change that mbst file to something ridiculous.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
I already have an idea on how to change that mbst file to something ridiculous.
"Something Ridleyculous"

So Mario gets his wedding and builder outfit as costume changes....but Dr. Mario remains a separate character...if that doesn’t spell inconsistency I don’t know what does.

That's because he's always been a separate character.

Think also of the fact that everyone's numbers. They would all have to be decreased by one from Pichu onwards.

I mean everyone is here, so why reduce Dr Mario to a skin all of a sudden when everyone is supposed to make a playable appearance?

Also he does have slightly different attributes. If you're saying Dr. Mario should be a skin of Mario then that would mean you're that Lucina should be Marth's female alt like they did with Robin and Corrin.

Dr. Mario has been separate from Mario since Melee. He's slower, stronger, has pills, electricity, and the tornado, and now a stomp. Costumes can't have differences in move set.

supermariofan said:
So Mario gets his wedding and builder outfit as costume changes....but Dr. Mario remains a separate character...if that doesn’t spell inconsistency I don’t know what does.
But how else is Mario going to have a good Down Special?

Solid Snake said:
supermariofan said:
Scalding FLUDD is a good down special. It's a custom move though, so I'm not sure if it's returning in this game. Mario can still do Mario Tornado anyway (down air attack).

Solid Snake said:
supermariofan said:

FLUDD isn't all that bad of a move though.

LGM can explain better than I can.

Solid Snake said:
FLUDD's a great down special, dude.

People think it's too weak to reliably push people off stages. Well, you have to couple that with the Cape. It's a technique called fluping, and it's what makes Mario stand out from Squirtle as being an off-stage disruption, and it also probably makes Mario a better gimper than Squirtle despite Squirtle's more powerful water when it's charged. Also, FLUDD forces an Aqua Jump, which hinders its off-stage effectiveness, but I think it can force edge-guarders out of the way of danger, so Mario's recovery is safer. Not sure about people who just stand there at the ledge, but those that want to jump off stage to hit Mario probably can't if he has FLUDD.

In high-level play, Mario can use the FLUDD to disrupt aerial players (for instance, in Animal Crossing, Mario uses the FLUDD underneath the moving upper platform to force a character upward and set that character up for his aerials). FLUDD almost always puts those characters in a bad spot.

Not denying Scalding FLUDD's effectiveness either, but FLUDD isn't useless as it seems at first glance.

fludd is all about ruining recoveries.

Mcmadness said:

While this is true, F.L.U.D.D. is almost useless for gimping recoveries if the opponent's recovery is good enough to overcome F.L.U.D.D.'s windboxes. Little Mac is probably the most vulnerable to being gimped by F.L.U.D.D., simply because of how atrocious his recovery is. And Cloud can't grab ledges while using Climhazzard, unless he's in Limit Break mode; this obviously leaves him vulnerable to windboxes.

Sunshine Yoshi said:
By the way, do we know if custom moves are returning? I liked custom moves because you can actually make FLUDD do damage with them. That's honestly all I use them for, tbh.

I think custom moves will not be in Ultimate, but the Miis MAY have custom moves, but I doubt it.

The Mii Fighters do receive three sets of pre-determined special moves, but this doesn't exactly mean that custom specials are dead; the pre-determined special moves could potentially receive custom variants with different properties, while keeping the defaults' animations.

MnSG said:
Mcmadness said:
And Cloud can't grab ledges while using Climhazzard, unless he's in Limit Break mode; this obviously leaves him vulnerable to windboxes.
This has been changed in Ultimate and now he can.

MnSG said:
The Mii Fighters do receive three sets of pre-determined special moves, but this doesn't exactly mean that custom specials are dead; the pre-determined special moves could potentially receive custom variants with different properties, while keeping the defaults' animations.
Ummm, I'm pretty sure the Mii customs work the same as they always have, the blog post was just translated poorly. Mii Fighters have customs that work the same as Smash 4, but now they seem to be the only characters to even have custom moves which I'm honestly fine with.

Speaking of the blog, the latest update is just Great Plateau Tower, so nothing we haven't seen already. Just waiting for that music update this week.

I think customs for each character are gone, and I kind of want them out honestly

never cared about them and would rather have the time spent elsewhere

I might have been more accepting of customs if they were all unlocked from the get go, but honestly I'm fine that they're gone. Most are uninspired, they're a pain to unlock and even if I had them all by default I probably would have never messed around with them much.

I'm probably the person who would miss customs the most and didn't want them gone. I loved them, and they added more uniqueness to separate characters. Plus they were fun to mess with.

The unlocking process is ass though, that is what I'll agree with.

Back