Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

God I really hope we don't get a Dragon Quest character then. I can't imagine the shitshow of trying to mess with all the copyrights that have to be dealt with.

Not to mention the composer of DQ is a ginormous asshole, so we'd never get DQ music in Smash anyways.

Hisoka Marow said:
when there's no final fantasy representation that wasn't already in smash 4 I think that makes the difference between "copyright" and "plain stinginess" too big to ignore

take one look at the other third party franchises and you'll notice that they tons of representation, whether it be new assist trophies, spirits, or literally dozens of songs. you'll see none of that for final fantasy and that's embarrassing tbh
Trademark is prone to anal pain for use agreements. Pokemon was a pain in the ass for the developers to negotiate as well, if I recall correctly. See Super Mario Maker, where Pokemon have been hilariously (and depressingly) restricted to generic sound effects. There are people who have different takes on how they like their characters to be depicted and shared and copyright plays that role regardless. Simply, Squenix is stubbornly anal and is a detriment to everyone involved, and copyright/trademark allows it. That's what it boils down to.

Sucks that they even get rewarded for this behavior; they appear to show very little gratitude that their precious franchise gets to be guest in a huge third party game, and practically everyone else, (the development team, the players) loses.

Doc von Schmeltwick said:
How does that situation with Geno even work? He was more than likely created for the Mario setting, meaning, according to IP laws of every country I can find, he belongs to Nintendo. Hence why Nintendo owns the DK characters Rare created.
Squenix owns Geno, not Nintendo. I'm not sure how it works, but it seems like they own Geno, but not necessarily the game. Geno got culled in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga remake because I strongly suspect AlphaDream just wanted to avoid that headache all together and I don't blame them at all.

How does that situation with Geno even work? He was more than likely created for the Mario setting, meaning, according to IP laws of every country I can find, he belongs to Nintendo. Hence why Nintendo owns the DK characters Rare created.

Well, M&L Superstar Saga had to credit Square in the credits for Geno's appearance...so...I don't know how they still own Geno.

I'm saying that if Geno were created for a Mario game, then, legally speaking, he would belong to Nintendo, period. And given it's happened with Nintendo before, I'm not sure what's different in this case.
Copyrights for characters can be kinda weird. Nintendo probably either didn't realize or didn't think they would need the copyright for Geno and other SMRPG characters.
If you want to see how this sort of thing can go horribly wrong, see the entire debacle with Archie Sonic.

they probably could get geno back in their games if they wanted to, but that's assuming they give two shits about geno to begin with, and they arguably...don't

JC said:
Nadeshiko Kagamihara said:
The Breath of the Wild Presentation music was all I wanted for new zelda music. I don't know what genius decided to not use it in the game itself but at least smash has got my back.

Unfortunately it's an arrangement, which makes me sceptical since the original was already perfect. Hopefully the game has both.
Just the one it looks like, but I think this arrangement is better suited to being smash bgm than the original version.

Presumably something about Luigi in cyrillic said:
they probably could get geno back in their games if they wanted to, but that's assuming they give two *bleep*s about geno to begin with, and they arguably...don't
Well he's the potential roster filler that everyone's nagging them about, so...
WarioWoodsSprite.gif

Presumably something about Luigi in cyrillic said:
they probably could get geno back in their games if they wanted to, but that's assuming they give two *bleep*s about geno to begin with, and they arguably...don't
Well he's the potential roster filler that everyone's nagging them about, so...
WarioWoodsSprite.gif

idk if he's worth it mean piranha plant got in over waluigi

i've responded mainly to respond to your quote edit for my name: it's baby luigi, rozhdestvified

well he's going to be my opponent so i think the lamer guy (presumably with the stupid boat) would be funnier for me to beat up

People are talking about SQuenix not letting us get Geno or things like that.

And I am here mourning the One-Winged angel theme, and a possible Sephiroth boss-fight.

Well they released The Quiet Man which in of itself requires mourning.

I would fucking cry from laughter if the Quiet Man was the Squeanix rep for this game.

Nothing will make me laugh as hard as Piranha Plant.

Isabelle said:
People are talking about SQuenix not letting us get Geno or things like that.

And I am here mourning the One-Winged angel theme, and a possible Sephiroth boss-fight.
I'm mourning that we'll pretty much never get Battle on the Big Bridge.
I get Cloud's iconic, but we really should have gotten Gilgamesh instead.

Regarding Square Enix spirits

Only three. Cloud, Geno, and Mallow

And a note on Mii Costumes
All thrid party costumes, including Geno, are gone.

Other things of note, an Isaac swordfighter costume and Dixie Kong's hat are both in game

The new tracks from the Mario RPGs are disappointing. No new remixes and a majority of additions being from Paper Jam (which has good music, but still an obvious recency bias). Was hoping for something from Paper Mario 64 and/or Super Paper Mario, and some songs from Superstar Saga (the original story) but the only new Paper Mario track is from Color Splash. Welp. At least The Grand Finale isn't cut like I was afraid of before. But the recency bias is real here.

EDIT:
But I'm very happy to see that there are more spirits from the Mario RPGS, including Fawful and Dimentio, finally a game in which they both appear! I'm fine with the disappointing music selection now lol.

I honestly don't see the problem with adding music from newer games, they already have music from previous games so why shouldn't they add music from games that weren't out and didn't have music when the previous game released.

Back