Mario Kart Tour

C7kLdZl.png

These Bowser Shells never break, they bounce forever. Just to ensure yours never despawn when the ground is touched.

the Bowser's Shells in Mario Kart Tour have the additional quality of tending to drivers as they approach them--a sort of homing ability--while sliding along the middle of the track.

however, when you couple that with the janky physics of an unpolished mobile racing title, you get a potentially useless item.

I have never tried Double Dash myself but I've seen footage of that game's Bowser Shell in action and lemme tell you, that shit seems worse than the Blue Shell.

It came to my surprise today that the Blue Shell will redirect to another player if someone passes you while it's honing in on you. I haven't seen it do this in any previous MK (haven't played 8)

When the Blue Shell comes, use the horn or frenzy and it is made useless. The blueshell is longer the threat it once was

It came to my surprise today that the Blue Shell will redirect to another player if someone passes you while it's honing in on you. I haven't seen it do this in any previous MK (haven't played 8)
but not vice versa (CPU player to you).
and iirc the blue shell in multiplayer mode still functions like in previous mk games.

I just tried the new course and I'm impressed with what it pulls off! I think it's the first course in Mario Kart history to be entirely built with an alternate route gimmick. Before it, Yoshi Valley from N64 had that infamous section with branching paths that not many liked, but this time you're always pleasantly surprised as you turn around another corner in a building with many hallways and different storeys. I like the obstacles—there's a spike ceiling moving up and down and there are Ninja Shy Guys that turn into slippery bananas and other such things that are normally found from Item Boxes. The music and atmosphere are nice. Too bad there aren't any actual Wario references as I predicted (went out of my way to scour the background for them, losing focus on the track), though I guess we got our due Yoshi's Crafted World recognition with those Ninja Guys? There are also a couple wallpapers depicting Mario enemies like Chain Chomp.

Last edited:
Considering how the ninja Shy Guys were already added as course obstacles I guess they couldn't finish the driver they wanted to add in time and resorted to using the blue ninja Shy Guy, making the Wario references quite puzzling without a Wario alt.

View attachment 11364
Why do these Shy Guys look like they're about to drop the hottest mixtape of 2021

(Also pretty annoying being placed right before a glide ramp like that)

White Shy Guy! He could rescue lost Yoshies in Yoshi's Story (N64).

Did they outsource this game's music at some point? There is no way to know for sure since the game doesn't list any credits, but here are my thoughts.

The tracks introduced in the game's first few tours have the distinct Mario Kart pizzazz of other titles, as if they were developed in-house at Nintendo or were supervised by a Mario Kart sound designer. Tokyo Blur is particularly reminiscent of Toad Circuit from Mario Kart 7, and the course introduction jingle is tonally in line with Mario Kart 8's.

With London Loop, the music started sounding more experimental, as Mister Wu put it. I don't know if I'm able to go into specifics—I just sense more commonplace chords and motifs in these newer tracks, surely experimental enough for the series.

Sure, other Mario Kart soundtracks may likewise deviate in style from each other on account of different composers—N64 Rainbow Road and MK8 Ranbow Road may sound nothing alike when heard the first time; even rearrangements like MK8's Ribbon Road are sometimes drastically different from the originals. However, they all englobe some of the race excitement of Mario Kart, whereas MKT displays an unusually generic appeoach to its music. Any thoughts on, uuh, my thoughts?

Last edited:
Ninja Tour!

Ninja Guy! He has Tanto (shortest sword, dagger). :)

217F7EF0-0C95-466A-8DFB-D98501379C34.jpeg

Did they outsource this game's music at some point? There is no way to know for sure since the game doesn't list any credits, but here are my thoughts.

The tracks introduced in the game's first few tours have the distinct Mario Kart pizzazz of other titles, as if they were developed in-house at Nintendo or were supervised by a Mario Kart sound designer. Tokyo Blur is particularly reminiscent of Toad Circuit from Mario Kart 7, and the course introduction jingle is tonally in line with Mario Kart 8's.

With London Loop, the music started sounding more experimental, as Mister Wu put it. I don't know if I'm able to go into specifics—I just sense more commonplace chords and motifs in these newer tracks, surely experimental enough for the series.

Sure, other Mario Kart soundtracks may likewise deviate in style from each other on account of different composers—N64 Rainbow Road and MK8 Ranbow Road may sound nothing alike when heard the first time; even rearrangements like MK8's Ribbon Road are sometimes drastically different from the originals. However, they all englobe some of the race excitement of Mario Kart, whereas MKT displays an unusually generic appeoach to its music. Any thoughts on, uuh, my thoughts?
I wouldn't really use generic when it comes to Los Angeles Laps, Berlin Byways and Ninja Hideaway, while Merry Mountain has a style close to the Super Mario Galaxy games.

Usually, games like Mario Kart Tour are "lower risk": you can go out of the way more because most people didn't pay a dime to play and those games barely get any hype but surely a lot of flak courtesy of awful monetization. They might have assigned the score to a newer composer they just hired to see what they can come up with, especially when it comes to music styles never tried before in Mario Kart. After all, with real life cities you're not in Mario's world, so no reason not to try here.

Unlocked Ninja Guy! He actually unsheaths the Tanto (sword) when leaping off a jump! I actually got him with free to play rubies!

86C79D6B-A214-413D-8F61-FA063935C964.png

89/100 left in the Ninja Guy Pipe! I am so thankful and honored.

私は光栄です
Watashi wa kōeidesu
I am honored.

Last edited:
Unlocked:

1811FC56-4DA0-4047-829D-57839EB2B6CC.jpeg

koala baby mario is so ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!

can we plz get a BL alt next?

Back