Mario Kart Tour

Well, better late than never

Plus, in landscape mode there will be an option to have the left half of the screen dedicated exclusively to the control of the kart and the right half reserved to item use.

Imagine this game with the defensive items no longer accidentally dropped in front of the incoming red shells... nah, they should at least change the name of the app, you can't have Mario Kart Tour without your character driving as if they were drunk, staying rigorously in the outside of the turns, barely charging Mini-Turbos while dropping key items in the worst moment possible and ending in the unavoidable 5th to 8th place!

Awesome! It looks like I'm playing a new Mario Kart game. Hehe.
new Mario Kart.jpg

Just imagine how cool this'd be on the Switch. They don't even need to improve the graphics, I'd pay $60 for... all of the content... at once... without any of that mobile game garbage...

Awesome! It looks like I'm playing a new Mario Kart game. Hehe.
View attachment 5436
Ok, now jokes aside, landscape mode with classic controls works much better for me as I no longer reach the border of the screen while trying to widen or sharpen the various drifts. Plus you usually need to see where the turns go much more than where the track goes upward or downward.

My only gripe is that even if you disable Left/Right Controls you still have the Steer button on the left and the Item Ticket button on the right, this only makes them more difficult to reach and use, in any case landscape mode definitely fits the game better, especially when Mario Kart 7 tracks are played.

On the other hand, Left/Right controls don't fit the current layout well in my opinion. When you work with two hands you want to keep a hand dedicated to a single, relevant duty (typically, moving the kart/character), while the other is dedicated to the other tasks. This way you streamline the job for your brain, resulting in intuitive behavior which is immediately learned. Here, on the other hand, too many tasks are dedicated to the left hand (both moving and drifting), and to add insult to injury, the separation between the left and right areas of the screen isn't obvious at all, making the movement ultimately not intuitive. You can learn the controls of course, but why bother if classic controls with Manual Drifting work like a charm in landscape mode? You'd rather accept the accidental drop of items every now and then, at least that's what I did after various experiments with control layouts. If they really want us to use the Left/Right Controls I'd work with steering controls (Manual Drift disabled), putting the Drift button on the right of the screen as a jump button, since the right hand often is idle anyway.

Last edited:
"Mario got to be sheriff 1255 times, I got to be Sheriff ONCE"
Btw, clearing all the cups gets you an end movie and a pipe that only has high ends
You can also compete to get the highest score worldwide to get exclusive badges, but only if you want a trophy with Wario's face
EeErlcUUcAAvtN-

Last edited:
Mario Kart Tour's roster keeps getting better and better.

btw, there's going to be an upcoming event (with the first event on August 5), featuring event tokens found in courses and can be exchanged for items in the event shop. There is a sneak peek of those event tokens in the Wild West Tour trailer, which resembles the Remix 10 bonus medals from Super Mario Run.

New special item never seen before coming up, too. And Monty Mole is now part if the main roster, with its own cup. They are likely getting things ready for the anniversary with quite a few goodies.

I actually kinda like Mario Kart Tour with all the new stuff. I still rather think rubies shouldn't be used for Gacha but for purchasing Coins to get new drivers, but that's just me. I think Mario Kart Tour has a really good character roster (aside for the 8 Bajillion Mario clones), the 5 Nitro Tracks are okay (but I think we need more tours based on real life places and not Mario's world again, even more because we are now trapped in quarantine and cannot go anywhere), Character Items are back, the Mini Challenges are okay and are a nice touch, and now wit has Multiplayer and Landscape Modes, which are pretty okay by me. It's just the pay-to-win elements that ruin the whole experience. Maybe if this was ported to Switch it would be better and a nice experience while we wait for Mario Kart 9. I give the game a 7.5/10 for the cool mechanics but the pay-to-win elements really get in the way.
Hey, maybe I can start making reviews.

I know I expressed distaste for face character emblems, but I am not so against them when it's clear there's no other alternative. King Bob-omb's looks great, I can't deny that.
1596065229877.png

Robo Mario has that emblem, funnily enough

RoboMario.png

If E Gadd is playable, I'm guessing his emblem would be...you guessed it...his face.

Like this one
SMS_Blue_Nozzle_Box.png
This one I'm okay with, because it's more stylized.

So some thoughts.
B4F01407-73BF-4058-94C8-F68D1B7AB1D6.png
First off, apreciate them changing the old tracks up a bit but I wish they would make more unique tracks. That would be cool. At least one new one per cup.
D29AD87F-87C8-48A2-A3E3-E8FD0E655A45.png
Landscape mode is welcome but......I don't know I don't like where the drift button is. I'm gonna stick to vertical.
D7B05AFF-AA6F-4249-BE2A-881773C5603B.png
That's still to much for one meesly pack. Make it 5 bucks for the BEST packs then we can talk.

So they have made some improvements but they still have much to do.
(All images were taken by me but all Assets are owned by their respective owners)

There's now a ending if you completed all cups.
I just realized that since that ending shows the stats of the tour and the most used drivers and karts (in my case Gold Dry Bones took the spotlight, with a little focus on Dry Bowser as well), it can be considered the return of the victory ceremony that had been absent since Mario Kart 7. Well, better late than never!

Also, the second week of the tour now features a coin-collecting event with pretty prices, nice idea considering how all the cups are now completed within the first week - which makes sense as you should then focus on the ranked cups before the end of the first week.

Last edited:
And you can buy rubies with the event coins instead of real money! A set of 5 rubies for 50 coins, up to 3 times. So you can get 15 rubies here.

With all the anti-frustration features being added, I'm tempted to reinstall the app... But nay, I shall resist the siren song!

Back